Anyone with experience w/ Intel i225/i226 network issues?

Yes I tried a CTG 25ft cat6 cable earlier but that was also from the S750 switch, I currently have it connected to the S591. From reading the Amazon reviews there are others with connectivity issues that seem to stem from ver. 1.0R. I think for now I've seen enough and need to swap that back out for the Qnap, I want to give this thing to a friend who works in IT to test it but he is more on the end of managing the servers but he also has a nice setup in his basement with a lot more extensive knowlege of the inner workings of a network than I do especially troubleshooting over the network. When I worked in IT it was mostly providing end user support, installing switches, APs, installing LCD projectors, network troubleshooting, mostly the physical layer, I've replaced tons of RJ45 keystones due to bent pins.

I just troubleshooted my first L3 switch two weeks ago that partially died from a surge....that was fun while 12 users were basically sitting on their hands waiting.

I just troubleshooted my first L3 switch two weeks ago that partially died from a surge....that was fun while 12 users were basically sitting on their hands waiting.
My friend wants a nice L3 switch but some L2 switches have L3 features. These switches are unmanaged which isn't really of use to him but he can still test it out for me and also if it exhibits symptoms in 2 separate enviroments then something is definitely wrong.

My friend wants a nice L3 switch but some L2 switches have L3 features. These switches are unmanaged which isn't really of use to him but he can still test it out for me and also if it exhibits symptoms in 2 separate enviroments then something is definitely wrong.

Yeah, some switches can do L3 like these Mikrotiks I have. Kinda weird… you can choose to use SwOS or RouterOS depending on what you want. I’m not sure what’s “Cloud” about them though haha.

IMG_4226.jpeg

Yeah, some switches can do L3 like these Mikrotiks I have. Kinda weird… you can choose to use SwOS or RouterOS depending on what you want. I’m not sure what’s “Cloud” about them though haha.

View attachment 216375
Yup, I have a Cisco L3 switch here but I don't use it since it sucks power and is loud and I don't need L3 routing at the switch level on my home LAN.

Yup, I have a Cisco L3 switch here but I don't use it since it sucks power and is loud and I don't need L3 routing at the switch level on my home LAN.
He said I could bring it up now, I checked but the only ports being used off the S750 was the uplink, my desktop, and the other uplink to the S591 so I just swapped the uplink over to the other switch and I still have an extra port available.

We tested it but didn't show any of the symptoms, came to the conclusion that it's a thermal issue and getting hot. He had one server with an open 10gb port but didn't have anything else on the other end to really put a load on it, used a laptop with 1gb connection and it only got luke warm. I opened a ticket with Trendnet but from the reviews I read online they are passing the buck so to speak and blaming your ISP and not providing any warranty support, when I created the ticket I didn't even mention internet and only stated that it was loosing connection with devices being connected through this switch and when using a different Trendnet switch it's fine. I found they list the newer version on their website for $329.99 but also offering a Certified Refurbished unit for $230.99, when I purchased this one it was just over $250.... I'm not paying that much again, if I do it's going to be on a managed switch.

How is it even possible for an issue with the ISP to cause your nic to loose connection with your LAN?

Still hasn't lost connection.

Last edited:
As you've surmised, it isn't. They are just passing the buck.
I was fairly certain but you just confirmed it, thank you. It's been solid since yesterday after I switched everything over. I think I've already seen enough and will switch my PC back to the onboard tonight before bed. I'll see how Trendnet responds but I could put this one just after the managed switch and basically send all the traffic through it which will definitely put a load through it.

SInce I'm happy with it so far I went ahead and installed the 3x 120mm fans in the front but haven't really noticed a difference and staying about the same. I made it through today but anymore of this heat and I will be running the A/C.

Thought I would give another update, I switched it back to the onboard last night but I've been noticing some random hiccups ie: dropping connection but does re-establish itself. It seems that I am having two separate issues. I'm going to connect the Qnap switch to rule out the other Trendnet.

That didn't take long, even connected to the Qnap it still disconnected but same as before and connected itself. I'm now using a C2G 25ft cable as a test but also connected to the Qnap but with a different port.

Well it's been almost 24 hrs and hasn't disconnected yet, there isn't any errors that are related to networking in the event viewer since I switched it over at 8:46 last night. I'm going to let it run another 24 but the Gigabyte did come today. I ordered a few more things from Amazon anyways and went ahead and ordered another cable. I should probably rearrange this room at some point because the PC is on the opposite side of the room from where the networking is located.

New cable was delivered today but haven't had a chance to swap it out yet. It hasn't dropped connection since I switched cables earlier this week. The Trendnet switch is probably fine but was acting all weird with that one cable.

I'm certain that's all it was. I think it's just something as simple that it's not making a good connection in the port so it's flaking out and dropping connection.

Back