Need help with trade in decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Maybe a distraction here:
Isn't the Mercury Milan a twin of the Ford Fusion?

Yes.
Haven't BITOGers been singing praises of the Fusion?

I suppose some have, I haven't really noticed much.
If so, why are we down on the Milan, aside from resale value?

I think it's pretty much ONLY because of the resale value. Vehicles' resale values tend to plummet when the brand no longer exists. The OP seems like he's not going to keep the car forever regardless, and will sell it sooner or later. The longer he waits, the more the value is going to drop. Might as well sell now before that happens.

I generally keep my vehicles until they're ready for the junkyard, so I don't care about resale value. I would consider a Milan if I was in the market.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Maybe a distraction here:
Isn't the Mercury Milan a twin of the Ford Fusion?

Yes.
Haven't BITOGers been singing praises of the Fusion?

I suppose some have, I haven't really noticed much.
If so, why are we down on the Milan, aside from resale value?

I think it's pretty much ONLY because of the resale value. Vehicles' resale values tend to plummet when the brand no longer exists. The OP seems like he's not going to keep the car forever regardless, and will sell it sooner or later. The longer he waits, the more the value is going to drop. Might as well sell now before that happens.

I generally keep my vehicles until they're ready for the junkyard, so I don't care about resale value. I would consider a Milan if I was in the market.

For all your viewing pleasure my ad on Craigslist: http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/cto/4571854037.html

It boils down to this being my wifes car (our car) but her daily driver, and she's just not in love with it.. She's had two Accords EX-L's and now this Milan Premier.. and on driving dynamics the Milan falls short, On getty up, The Milan falls short, and on overall fit and finish, the Accord just seems better, Less "plasticky" The Milan is not a bad car.. its just boring..

In an attempt to only be constructive and coming from someone who has sold several late model cars private party - $10k for an 8 year old car sounds really high. It is clean and well optioned, but at the end of the day it's a Milan. And no offense, but the tone of your ad makes you sound very difficult to deal with.

you have to be that way on craigslist in this area, scammers are extremely rampant.. and the lowballers are ruthless, the numbers are based off of NADA and KBB. loan value on the car NADA is $10,800 and KBB ((private party)) value is $10,800 KBB retail is higher.. Ive listed and sold alot of stuff on that site and frankly if you dont lay your expectations down upfront people will call you offering you half of what your asking, and they will do it at 3:00am drunk.

and no sir, i take no offence.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
you have to be that way on craigslist in this area,

And pretty much any area on craigslist. Lots of time wasters will be knocking, either way.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
you have to be that way on craigslist in this area,

And pretty much any area on craigslist. Lots of time wasters will be knocking, either way.

i actually had to re-do the listing, i posted the first one yesterday and i had 9 scammers emailing me and txting me within a few hours, i took down the first add and put the new one up with "notices" on it.. slowed the time wasters way down and brought out a few serious potential customers. So even though i may have a blunt tone, the serious buyers recognize what i have and that im not playing games.

Last edited:
Dealing with the morons on Craigslist is a special kind of [censored], what will Carmax give you for it?

Craigslist is, well, Craigslist.

Last December I was selling my 96' Chevy Truck, said in the post I'm only selling it because I bought a Camry to save gas.

I still got people calling me asking if I would trade for a 97' Dodge Ram.
confused2.gif

What actually did the best and what sold it was the good old fashioned For Sale sign on it, luckily my house is a corner house on a major road. Maybe park it it somewhere where people can see it. People were all over my truck.

I even had some weird guy come and look at it, test drove it, and since it wasn't current on emissions (registered at my dad's house in another county where emissions isn't required) he PAID for the emissions (almost $30) to make sure it would pass, and it did with flying colors, we stopped by the bank and he withdrew $2,600 and we went back to my house and he got cold feet and walked away. He was really strange.

ive had suprisingly good luck selling used cars over the years, as most of you can probably relate i take very good care of my stuff and when its time to let one of them go, well buyers see that. its usually a great selling point that anything i have is so well kept and in need of nothing. Auto trader, ebay, news papers, a simple for sale sign.. and yes craigslist.. ive done them all.

Good luck with the sale, I saw your other thread and that is a sharp looking Mercury for sure.

If you want to remember how stupid some of your fellow human beings are, just post an ad on Craigslist. The responses amaze me sometimes. I've had people low ball me and want me to drive an hour to their house to deliver the item. I'm not sure why they think I might fall for that one.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
In an attempt to only be constructive and coming from someone who has sold several late model cars private party - $10k for an 8 year old car sounds really high. It is clean and well optioned, but at the end of the day it's a Milan. And no offense, but the tone of your ad makes you sound very difficult to deal with.

I'd like to expand on this, and once again only to be constructive. If you do the used car appraisal on Edmunds for a 2006 Milan Premier V6, with every single option, in outstanding condition, in Terre Haute Indiana, the private party value comes to $6,975.

EDIT: My point with this post was not that you have a crazy price or anything. Just wanted to point out if someone offers you $6,500 they might not be trying to low ball you, they may have just gotten their information from Edmunds and not KBB.

Milan_Appraisal.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glock19
they may have just gotten their information from Edmunds and not KBB.

That's a valid point. In my past experience, Edmunds values were actually a lot more realistic than KBB when it comes to used cars, alas, perhaps it varies based on a particular car model and/or location.

Hey No problem at all, I didnt look to Edmunds as its not used in this area by many, pretty much all the used car lots and even new lots with a used selection have a KBB values ((listed on the car)) Most likel because KBB is the highest or includes "padding" Push comes to shove in my view The banks loan values are what i consider most important as most people take out notes.. and every bank ive ever dealt with used NADA as thier pricing source.. Im not saying Edmunds is not a good source.. I just know its not very popular in this area..

When i purchased the Milan at the end of 2012 the loan Value was right at $14,000 through NADA I sat with my loan officer and she showed me. I called two days ago and NADA loan value on the car was $10,800 I appreciate the heads up on the $6k figure.. i would have been insulted if someone called me up offering that.

Update, I have two current potential buyers on this car and neither one of them even mentioned haggling with me on this car, they both seemed to think after seeing the car in person and driving it that my asking price was fair.

my price as listed is $10,200 i pretty much figured on selling the car to the first person that offered me anything over $9,400 If you seen this car in the flesh i dont think many of you would argue that thats not a fair deal. ((and well below loan value))

I appreciate all your input fellas !

Last edited:
A few points:
You may or may not know that TSX was designed for the European market to compete with the A4 and some 3 series models. Consequently its fit and finish is better than any other Honda/Acura product available to us in the US. It's all in the details, once you start really paying attention they really show.

A V6 TSX may not be as much fun as you think. The recipe that made the car work and gain good respect (for a FWD car) is the ride and handling. Put a couple hundred extra pounds over the front end and that's gone.

I've found my TSX to be my favorite overall car I've ever owned. It's fun to drive (as much about the handling as power), build like a freakin' ingot, and gets 35MPG highway without too much effort. Even if you don't get this particular one, it's still worth seeing if another good one is out there.

Yes, any in-warranty work would be handled at your Acura dealership. Oh and never pay to have the cabin filter changed, it requires no tools, and takes less than 10 minutes.

Good luck.

For those helping me out with critical input for my add, thanks and ive changed it up, however i cant list it until after midnight (have access to my personal email. so once the new and improved add is up please give your feedback again.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
A few points:
You may or may not know that TSX was designed for the European market to compete with the A4 and some 3 series models. Consequently its fit and finish is better than any other Honda/Acura product available to us in the US. It's all in the details, once you start really paying attention they really show.

A V6 TSX may not be as much fun as you think. The recipe that made the car work and gain good respect (for a FWD car) is the ride and handling. Put a couple hundred extra pounds over the front end and that's gone.

I've found my TSX to be my favorite overall car I've ever owned. It's fun to drive (as much about the handling as power), build like a freakin' ingot, and gets 35MPG highway without too much effort. Even if you don't get this particular one, it's still worth seeing if another good one is out there.

Yes, any in-warranty work would be handled at your Acura dealership. Oh and never pay to have the cabin filter changed, it requires no tools, and takes less than 10 minutes.

Good luck.

I took the car for a "spirited" drive, i will admit the thing handled like a racecar.. it stuck like glue, and the interior screams luxuary to me.. No i wasnt overly impressed with the motor, however its not like it was a slug, i was just expecting a bit more.. then again our Honda has the 3.0 and we are very acclimated to it.. the TSX paddle shifter were a hoot.. i really enjoyed downshifting into the meat of the motor and railing through the corners.. It was a test drive so i wasnt going to autocross it, hower i will simply say "i had a litle fun"

Negotiation? I'd say two things. Know the price. Edmunds is pretty good. A bit, low, but good. I'd take the position that there is no such thing as a car in "excellent" condition. Merely "clean".

Don't make a "take it or leave it" offer. People hate that, even the pros. Leave yourself a little negotiation room. Say $500.

The same goes with the Milan. Be realistic about its condition, but value it at "Clean" not "excellent" In real life you are probably overlooking a few faults.

Make sure any price negotiated is "out the door" or "all costs plus tax" Doc fees are just ridiculous. If it makes them feel better, include it, but back it out of the price.

Finally, I'd reconsider buying almost any used car. Even an Acura. That car will be three model years old in about a month. If you aren't buying it for 40% less than msrp at least, I'd buy a new car, with fewer options. Cheaper loan on top of everything else. I bet there's a reasonably closely equipped Honda comes pretty close.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Be realistic about its condition, but value it at "Clean" not "excellent" In real life you are probably overlooking a few faults.

I just re-read and noticed this, All the values i looked up and have listed in this ad were the "good" not excellent prices.

Again, thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back