Need all-season tires that are quiet and good in snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Patman... how is wear on those SP5000's? What kind of life can I expect?

They are looking good to me so far! I had them on the rears for about 6000 miles, then moved them to the front and have put another 12-13k on them and they still look like new to me.

My "best tires yet" are BF Goodrich T/A Control - M80's. Excellent in winter and summer. Quiet. Phenomenal wear/tread life. No broken cords/belts yet on bad mid-Michigan roads.

We own a set of Nokian WR and they fit your two criteria of quiet/comfy but better yet superior in the snow. Not quite as good as snow tire but nearly as good.

quote:

Why not check with the VW dealer to see what they're recommending.

Now that's a great idea!! All of the afore mentioned tires sound like reasonable alternatives. The Dunlop Sport A2s are nice. I work with 2 people who have them on thier VWs. Both cars have 40k on the tires and there is still usable tread on them. I have faith in the Sport A2s because I just installed a set on my Mom's Volvo S40 last weekend. Continental CH95s are another good choice. There are also some new a/s tires out there that show some promise...Goodyear Eagle GT-HR and the Michelin HydroEdge. I haven't tried these out yet, but some of Tire Rack's sales reps like them a lot.

[ November 07, 2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Volkster ]

Well, I wound up getting her the WRs, since snow performance was key while staying in the all-season category. I'll be sure to test these babies out when/if I go visit her this winter.

cheers.gif

cool.gif
I've used BFG Radial T/A's on a couple different cars year-round, 1 RWD 2 FWD, and they did real well. If you go to the Tire Rack's website people post reviews on different tires.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
cool.gif
I've used BFG Radial T/A's on a couple different cars year-round, 1 RWD 2 FWD, and they did real well. If you go to the Tire Rack's website people post reviews on different tires.

I ran 245-50-16 BFG Radial TAs on my 87 Mustang GT for one winter and was totally amazed at how well they gripped in the snow! Even when there was 3-4 inches of snow on the ground it made it through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back