New tires for 535i -- long life & quiet?

Currently have Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on the car. They honestly perform well. Generally wear really well, currently have 22k on them and rear tires are showing 5/32" on the inside.

I dont really need all season tires since this car will never see snow.
Unfortunately when I look at all other tires that are NOT all season, the UTQG for treadwear all drops off a lot. I'd like to continue to get 20-30k out of the rear tires (fronts are still 7/32" so I assume I'll get about 40k out of the continentals). Is there a summer tire that still gets decent tread life?

Any suggestions?

I am a huge fan of the Michelin offerings with full tread depth. (they do offer some reduced tread depth tires, strangely)

I have the Michelin Defender 2 on my Jag and they are significantly better than I expected. Quiet, no-nonsense, superb wet and dry grip, and have lasted a very long time. I am an experienced driving enthusiast, and, well, am rough on things to put it mildly (friends call me relentless). The Defenders have been superb. My other Jag (the F-Type in the avatar) will be getting Michelin's as soon as the current set of tires are worn. The current Pirelli PZero's are not up to par and are not wearing well.

IMHO, the Defender 2 is probably the best "all around" tire available. For a daily driver, it is hard to beat.

On a local 300 degree perfectly circular, 640 foot diameter off ramp, I test my speeds. The Defender tires can achieve 60-61MPH, and the PZero's 63mph. I bring this up, because these tires grip better than might be expected. At least in the lower profile flavors.

mi_defender_2_full.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
Summer only ultra high performance tires usually have a UTQG wear number of 340 or lower. All season tires go up as high as 800.

I think the DWS06 plus is about the best performing all season tire with a half way decent tread life.

Currently have Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on the car. They honestly perform well. Generally wear really well, currently have 22k on them and rear tires are showing 5/32" on the inside.

I dont really need all season tires since this car will never see snow.
Unfortunately when I look at all other tires that are NOT all season, the UTQG for treadwear all drops off a lot. I'd like to continue to get 20-30k out of the rear tires (fronts are still 7/32" so I assume I'll get about 40k out of the continentals). Is there a summer tire that still gets decent tread life?

Any suggestions?
Generally speaking all ultra-high performance A/S tires will offer similar life. These are basically an A/S variant of a summer tire.

I've had Michelin PS A/S 3+ and am currently running DWS 06 + . I have more confidence in the DWS in the wet but that's just because of the speeds at which I drive in the wet (I don't slow down to 45 mph on the highway).

Another thing to remember is that the warranty applies if you rotate your tires so don't expect to get a lot of extra tire life if you're running a staggered setup.

Last edited:
Currently have Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 on the car. They honestly perform well. Generally wear really well, currently have 22k on them and rear tires are showing 5/32" on the inside...
...Is there a summer tire that still gets decent tread life?

Any suggestions?
I'll be watching to see what you get. I also have Continental ExtremeContact tires on my 535d and they will need replacing soon.

Best is to go UHP All-Season like DWS06 or Pilot A/S 4 if you want some longevity.
Going grand touring on 535 won’t work. Too much suspension and brakes for tires like that. It is luxury performance vehicle, and appropriate tires have to go with it.

I get 10k miles on the rear tires on my GL550. So my strategy is to go a little less expensive (with the same speed rating) - I drive this car like a giant, heavy sports car. Maybe you should run the numbers that way, instead of longevity look at reasonable frequency.

Last edited:
It's almost a useless conversation when we don't know the size of tire you're looking for. Are you interested in spirited driving at all? What is the goal here, longevity and quietness, or somewhat longevity and performance?

It's almost a useless conversation when we don't know the size of tire you're looking for. Are you interested in spirited driving at all? What is the goal here, longevity and quietness, or somewhat longevity and performance?
That car has too much of brakes. Even if he doesn’t drive spirited, brakes will easily overwhelm tires. BMW put Bridgestone DriveGuard on my 328, and car was too much for it.
Maybe something like Michelin Primacy would work. That tire is designed for vehicles like this but offers more comfort.

That car has too much of brakes. Even if he doesn’t drive spirited, brakes will easily overwhelm tires. BMW put Bridgestone DriveGuard on my 328, and car was too much for it.
Maybe something like Michelin Primacy would work. That tire is designed for vehicles like this but offers more comfort.

To be fair, runflat tires suck no matter what.

The Driveguard is supposed to be better than other runflats, but there's still some compromise. Also, OE tires almost universally suck. BMW seems to have a love affair with OE runflats for some reason. OE tires are not a good comparison to use.

The non-RF Turanza 6 should be perfectly fine to use in the 5-series.

The Primacy 3 is a good tire, but it's actually cheaper to import tires from Europe! Besides, Conti also makes very good tires, as you frequently point out. Wouldn't the ContiPremiumContact be just as good? :unsure:

To be fair, runflat tires suck no matter what.

The Driveguard is supposed to be better than other runflats, but there's still some compromise. Also, OE tires almost universally suck. BMW seems to have a love affair with OE runflats for some reason. OE tires are not a good comparison to use.

The non-RF Turanza 6 should be perfectly fine to use in the 5-series.

The Primacy 3 is a good tire, but it's actually cheaper to import tires from Europe! Besides, Conti also makes very good tires, as you frequently point out. Wouldn't the ContiPremiumContact be just as good? :unsure:
I wasn’t referring to RFT.
1. Bridgestone RFT are absolutely worst among top brand RFT tires: Michelin, Continental, Pirelli. They don’t call them for no reason “Stonebridges.”
2. Those were not OE tires. They are aftermarket. I am talking strictly performance. They were a ok on my Sienna. On BMW, not so much.
3. You can put any tire on that car. But, I am going strictly by his criteria. If you put tire that won’t match performance, it won’t last as long. Regardless of wear rating.

thanks guys, sounds like in reality its either stick with Continental DWS06, or Pilot Sport AS 4.

When I look at tirerack for the grand touring options, all of them have worse reviews, and a lower treadwear rating....so that essentially makes zero sense.

thanks guys, sounds like in reality its either stick with Continental DWS06, or Pilot Sport AS 4.

When I look at tirerack for the grand touring options, all of them have worse reviews, and a lower treadwear rating....so that essentially makes zero sense.
Continental will be most comfortable and beat in rain
Pilot A/S4 is sportier and excellent in rain.
Also, consider Pirelli!
Bridgestone has new Potenza Sport A/S and expect harshest ride of all, probably best steering feedback.

I for one can't wait to get rid of the A/S 4s. On a staggered setup they wear OK in the front and I can't get more than 12K miles on the rears in W211 E350 which gets driven gently on the freeway 95% of the time. The fronts are wearing evenly but are getting increasingly loud and annoying as you're cruising along. I just can't decide what to try out next.

Last edited:
I for one can't wait to get rid of the A/S 4s. On a staggared setup they wear OK in the front and I can't get more than 12K miles on the rears in W211 E350 which gets driven gently on the freeway 95% of the time. The fronts are wearing evenly but are getting increasingly loud and annoying as you're cruising along. I just can't decide what to try out next.
I think the issue is a staggered setup. Can you go square?

I think the issue is a staggered setup. Can you go square?
I can. I need two more fronts to put in the back, same as with the 4Matic setup. Finding wheels in good condition is tough though.
An added benefit would be that the choices in 245/40/18 are a lot more, and better options in the Grand Touring category. My current rears are 265/35/18, which limit me to UHP All Season or Summer, except for the original tires the car came with - Continental ContiProContact which are Grand Touring 400 thread wear tires.

I can. I need two more fronts to put in the back, same as with the 4Matic setup. Finding wheels in good condition is tough though.
An added benefit would be that the choices in 245/40/18 are a lot more, and better options in the Grand Touring category. My current rears are 265/35/18, which limit me to UHP All Season or Summer, except for the original tires the car came with - Continental ContiProContact which are Grand Touring 400 thread wear tires.
I would go square. Find two good wheels. Same as 535, I would still stick to UHP. You are in SoCal. When I lived in San Diego I was running Michelin PSS.

Back