Need advice for an older car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 1992 Mazda protege with 132k on it a few days ago, So far i have only found a leaking valve cover gasket but i'm thinking there might be a leaky drain pan gasket also. The last owner said it used 1qt every 3k miles and i'm not sure what he was putting in it before. I have since replaced the valve cover gasket.

Anyone have any advice on what i should be using? I was thinking Pennzoil 10w30 High milage every 3k when i had the valve cover off the head it looked pretty clean with just varnish showing. I'm worried about more severe oil leaks developing.

Also what do you guys think about M1 5w30 every 5k on a neon with 93k? It hardly uses any oil but i'm one of those people who believes in 3k oil changes. I have been reading alot on these boards and i'm currently at 4k now. Would 5k be alright?

I would run Auto-Rx to reduce consumption and then use chevron 10w30 on both. Even if the top end looks clean, the rings are prob letting oil by. The ARX would free them up. Unless you are all city driving, you could easily go 4000 mi oci. The M1 would go 7500 mi no problem on a clean engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back