Need a good set of line wrenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to fill out my tool collection with some good quality line wrenches. I have a couple for the small stuff, but I want a complete set. Doing a set piecemeal is going to be too expensive unless I can score some used, but they are far and few between. What do you guys suggest for being the largest size in the set? Will be working on power steering connections some too.

I would hunt estate sales, yard sales, pawn shops, e-bay, amazon, and sales for Snap-On. Most expensive yet bar none the best around.

I used Craftsman as a lower cost alternative and replaced a few fuel lines because of it. Switched to Snap-On and also Matco and had great success. The lifetime warranty is a plus.

I bought a set from Gearwrench based on the positive reviews I read. I am pleased with them but was disappointed to see that they were made in China instead of Taiwan like the reviews lead me to believe. Anyway, they are good wrenches, nicely finished and reasonably priced. Snap On line wrenches have the best reputation but you sure have to pay for it. I just cant bring myself to spent that kind of money for something which I won't use that much.

-Valentine

Valentine, Gearwrench is another good option and slipped my mind. A friend of mine who does automatic transmission rebuild and replacement as a job uses Gearwrench and never had an issue and spent half the price I did with S.O.

benjamming, just looked it up and they do look really nice. Gonna have to make an excuse up to buy them.

I'd recommend either Snap-on or Proto.

I'd also recommend Cornwell but people are too lazy to chase down Cornwell.

This one from SK will do you well. Good steel, good fit and nice chrome.

http://www.tooltopia.com/sk-hand-tool-371.aspx

I tried Gearwrench once for a SAE size i didn't have, frankly it was garbage. It broke with little pressure. I didn't bother with the warranty i bought a better tool instead.
Snap-On, Proto, SK are all top shelf tools that will last a lifetime. There is always Hazet (my favorite) but the price is prohibitive in the US.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Have you looked at Wright Tool? It's less expensive than the tool trucks but still good quality.

I'll 2nd this, I own them and there is no better alternative that I've run across.
DSC00002.JPG

Just for the record I own the Snap On set as well and they are no better then the Wrights at 3 times the cost.
DSC00134.JPG

Try Hazets. I think you will find them a better alternative. Nothing I ever used compares to the reinforced heads on the Hazet 612N line wrenches, wright included.

http://www.amazon.de/Hazet-612N-10X11-HAZET-Offener-Doppelringschl%C3%BCssel/dp/B001C9XJBU

Aside from that, the question i have is what is it about the Wright other than a lower price that makes it "better" than Snap-On, SK, Proto, etc?
At that level of tool the steel and fit on the fastener should be pretty much equal. The Hazet definitely does have something that stands out from the rest, the reinforced head.

It not only provides additional strength to prevent spreading but it also doesn't allow the nut to "pass" through the wrench, it holds the line nut square and has a very close fit.
The price is high even in Germany but for a pro they are a worthwhile investment IMO.

hz612nx_zps31facpn3.jpg

hz612n_zpscvb2sa6r.jpg

No question the Hazet looks amazing and I'm sure it performs just as well as it looks. My reason for purchasing Wright Tool products is they are local to me (Along with Cornwell, Matco, & MAC) and their products are produced with local steel mills raw materials.
When you purchase SnapOn products you're also paying for them to give away products to the professional race teams they sponsor. It kind of sucks the the local flat rate automotive tech has to pay for all the professional race teams tools as well.
This same practice also applies to top of the line motorcycle helmets. Arai, Shoei, & AGV helmets cost $1000 so they can pay top riders to use them.

Yes and no. The term is commonly interchanged but depending on the company the line wrench like the Hazet with the reinforced head with a slit of the line is specifically for lines, they do have a flare wrenches that could be used on something like an O2 sensor and fittings where the line wrench could not.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ Those. Look. Amazing.

+1.

Need those for HVAC and other car use!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes and no. The term is commonly interchanged but depending on the company the line wrench like the Hazet with the reinforced head with a slit of the line is specifically for lines, they do have a flare wrenches that could be used on something like an O2 sensor and fittings where the line wrench could not.

Are the ratios of nut size to line diameter always the same, between, say, HVAC flare, Automotive, Parker, Swagelok, etc?

I cant say as i have only used them in automotive work. The 612N style is only available up to 14mm and are classified automotive line wrenches.
For larger sizes they have the 612 wrenches without the reinforcement they are 12 pt 15 degree angled which is also nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back