Issue with Norbar pro 50 torque wrench

JHZR2

Staff member
I have a Norbar pro 50 torque wrench. Really nice unit, works well in forward direction.

I had to torque a left handed threaded bolt that connects the timing device to the injection pump splines. I was going for 20nm. Not a lot. Set the wrench to reverse and it took a lot of force.

I put it in forward and tried it. It popped properly.

I got my snap on in-lb wrench, set it, the bolt was way tight.

So it seems that either the wrench is either inaccurate in reverse, or doesn’t have a torque function in reverse.

It says it’s a reversible ratchet drive. The manual doesn’t say much.

Could it be only viable as a torque wrench for right hand threads going on?

Or is mine broken?

Or what gives?

This bolt has a narrowed section to shear off if/as needed. Good thing it didn’t. I was relatively careful, which is why I stopped but I’m not sure how much excess force I might have put and how much is too much for it…

I know some torque wrenches are only designed for use in one direction.
The info says reversing. Maybe it’s not torque limiting in reverse?

I would call Norbar and see what they say. They have a contact # in OH (440) 953-1180

I will.

I was installing m6 bolts to replace the vacuum pump on my 350sd, and I had the Norbar set to 10nm, set the snap on to the equivalent in-lb. These were standard right hand thread bolts. They torqued perfectly, both wrenches did the exact same. You could click with one or the other, then repeat with the other wrench, and they would be the same.

So it’s definitely only the reverse function!

Does your calibration certificate show test data for both clockwise and counterclockwise rotation?

usually torque wrenches that only work in 1 direction have an arrow on the handle. I know the old SR wrenches have an arrow.

We used Norbar years ago at work and I just can't remember, but I seem to think they were 1 directional only...

Just my $0.02

usually torque wrenches that only work in 1 direction have an arrow on the handle. I know the old SR wrenches have an arrow.

We used Norbar years ago at work and I just can't remember, but I seem to think they were 1 directional only...

Just my $0.02
Good call. There is an arrow. So I guess it’s a reverse ratchet, forward torque wrench.

6B2E814C-740C-43FA-B5D2-52891C88A20A.jpeg

Good thing I stopped. The injection pump to timing sprocket is a necked down bolt reverse thread. Could have broken it pretty easy had I not checked!

Good call. There is an arrow. So I guess it’s a reverse ratchet, forward torque wrench.

View attachment 154939

Good thing I stopped. The injection pump to timing sprocket is a necked down bolt reverse thread. Could have broken it pretty easy had I not checked!
Wow, I never knew that. Never even heard of the arrow designation. I learned something today...

My snap on in-lb wrench worked in reverse. I didn’t have a value from the FSM. Hope I made it tight enough!

Back