NASCAR and Japanese brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
give it a couple more years and I'll be completely right...
www.eastseries.com/press/060524-01.html
www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=219065&FS=NASCAR-GRAND
www.scenedaily.com/stories/2006/08/07/scene_daily238.html

And this looks like a 1-peice truck body to me
the unibody is a dead giveaway.....
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/news_030716_toyn_l.jpg

crushedcar.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
Someone should have told Nissan. They just moved their HQ to Tennessee.

I do know some people who live in "enlightened" areas though. When I see them paying $475K for an 850 sq. ft. "house" on .15 acres in the hood I feel thankful for my lack of edumacation. I obviously left school with some of my common sense still in tact...
lol.gif

Yeah, and when they announced the move 1/2 of the staff said fine, we'll stay here.
Do you think a bunch of well payed Los Angelites are going to want to move to TN?
Do you think TN wants them? Or just their $$$$$$?

Now Olhausen moved to TN and most of their (high school drop-out) staff followed them. yee-haw, we can finally afford a house!!! I hear lotsa them bought guns their first week there. AK's, Mac 10's, the fun stuff.

And you must have missed some schooling?
There's this thing called "supply and demand".
More people want to live here.

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
hey, I had some clues but they weren't ALL correct.
it looks like they switched to decals in 1998 anyhow...
Long after I stopped caring about asscar.

and, btw you're wrong about the bodies. but I'd love to see someone form roof or door with a freakin english wheel.
www.summitracing.com/motorsports/nascar/index.htm
www.nascarregionalracing.com/composite_bodies.asp
www.fivestarbodies.com/

As a fan, it sounds like YOU need to do some research before you try to publically defend something.
nono.gif

rolleyes.gif
Look at the approved classes listed in those links. Those are Grand National regional class bodies. The Nextel and Busch Cup cars are formed metal ( yes, they use english wheels ) except for the nose and tail. The rear spoilers are even metal.

Geez, don't argue about something you have no clue about.

From the first link - "Grand National Division, Busch East Series"

From the second link "Today, a body for a NASCAR NEXTEL Cup or Busch Series car starts as a stack of steel sheets which are hand-crafted to meet the template shape of a Chevrolet Monte Carlo or Ford Fusion or Dodge Charger while achieving maximum aerodynamic efficiency."

From the third link - "He also said that he expects the composite bodies that will be used in the Busch East Series and AutoZone West Series to eventually be used in the Busch Series."

Again, the regional class bodies are not the same as the Busch and Nextel Cup cars. They're different cars altogether.

If you don't believe they're metal, watch the race this weekend at Bristol. Then come back and explain how composite panels can end up dented and can be beat back into place with a BFH...

V8 Supercar series is the closest series race wise on the planet. Qualifying differentials in the thousanth of a second range. Not my words but those of Ron Tauranac ex Brabham, Ralt etc. The series is OK IMO but ordinary compared to Sprintcar racing

Sprintman,have you driven one of those sprint beasts? No tranny, no clutch, just straight through. Now THAT'S a challenge. I'd love to try one, s-l-o-w-l-y, preferably with a detuned engine.

I had lunch with an senior Skip Barber guy a couple of years ago and he mentioned that in addition to his other racing experience he had a fair amount of seat time racing sprint cars. That's some serious stuff. I particularly like the non-wing cars.

quote:

Originally posted by ccs v2.0:
How is Marcos Ambrose doing in roundy round series?

I think he's doing great! He's got a pole and two top-five's so far and he's only run 13 of the 16 races this season. He's done well on the high speed 1.5 mile tracks. Give him a full season in Trucks and he'll be competing for wins. He's also great on TV so if he starts winning and running up front, I can easily see him moving up to Busch or even Cup.

i see alot of bias here. the nascar fusion is a rwd v8. the stock production fusion is a 4 cylinder front wheel drive. v6 is an option but it remains front wheel drive. just like the camry!

so why are all these people complaining about a nascar camry being v8 and rwd, when no one complains about the fusion? or the taurus?

some people just have an axe to grind and quite frankly, its getting old.

if you guys dont like the camry fine, move over. alot of people would like to see toyota compete and even win some races. ive never been to a nascar race but i think im going to go to one next year and wear a red shirt with a big toyota emblem on it.
take that you rednecks!

quote:

Originally posted by Master ACiD:

i see alot of bias here.

Really? I haven't noticed a lot
tongue.gif

some people just have an axe to grind...

Ya don't say?!?!

take that you rednecks!

hmmmm.... is that "bias" or is that hate-speak or....what? So if a guy likes NASCAR and domestic brands, he's a redneck.

What about someone who like NASCAR and Asian brands? Confused? Bi-Polar?

i guess you didnt realise the redneck comment was sarcasm.

but why dont you quote and reply to the parts of my text that really matter? like the part about the 4 cylinder front wheel drive fusion. or the taurus and the fact that nobody cares if they are in nascar, yet lots of people rip on the camry for being front wheel drive and a 4/6 cyl.

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
give it a couple more years and I'll be completely right...
www.eastseries.com/press/060524-01.html
www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=219065&FS=NASCAR-GRAND
www.scenedaily.com/stories/2006/08/07/scene_daily238.html

And this looks like a 1-peice truck body to me
the unibody is a dead giveaway.....
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/news_030716_toyn_l.jpg

crushedcar.gif
cheers.gif

wait a few years and the rest of the bodies will be composite too....
y'all needsta reeds mor.

Hopefully all those tinworkers will have to start applying their skills to restoring old cars. Not dented up asscars.
cheers.gif

quote:

but why dont you quote and reply to the parts of my text that really matter? like the part about the 4 cylinder front wheel drive fusion. or the taurus and the fact that nobody cares if they are in nascar, yet lots of people rip on the camry for being front wheel drive and a 4/6 cyl.

Sarcasm or not, I think we're all better off avoiding the use of slurs and other denigrating comments at BITOG. Let's focus on the discussion of Toyota's increasing involvement in NASCAR instead of stereotyping people.

As for the rest of your post, it was off topic and I didn't see a reason to respond. BITOG has a subforum for off topic conversations if you want to continue. Can we get back on topic, please?

Even though nascar is hugely popular, and perceived to be growing, the suits there can see the upcoming handwriting on the wall. Empty seats in the stands have been a major worry. That is why some of the major markets like California and Texas are getting two dates, from the venues not able to fill seats. The television networks try to not focus or show the empty seats. High fuel costs and energy costs will eventually doom nascar if they dont make changes to attract our attention.

Hence the need to infuse new viewers, interest, and most importantly, money, with Toyota's entry into nascar. Its all for entertainment. The diehard Ford, Chevy, and Dodge fans, will get a huge charge out of their brand beating the Toyotas. But the also Toyota has to be legit/capable. Professional wrestling learned this years ago. You have the good guy wrestlers, and the bad guy "heel" wrestlers. Everyone wants the good to always win, but the "heel" has to win sometimes to be good competion for the good. Same case here. All for entertainment, and ticket sales and "TV rights" money. But there is no long standing actual benefit to be gained from any of this.

Nascar lost my support a few years ago due to the outrageous ticket price "packages", gouging motel operators, uncoordinated traffic flow creating 4-5 hour traffic waits, and the internal politics. Also, nascar technology is circa 1977, so nothing much can really apply to todays auto industry.

Formula one will be getting more of my attention with their recent announcement of approval to allow development of energy storage systems, to give a short term boost of power periodically during the race. Now thats technology that can be applied today, or tomorrow, to our automotive industry.

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:

quote:

Sarcasm or not, I think we're all better off avoiding the use of slurs and other denigrating comments at BITOG. Let's focus on the discussion of Toyota's increasing involvement in NASCAR instead of stereotyping people.

As for the rest of your post, it was off topic and I didn't see a reason to respond. BITOG has a subforum for off topic conversations if you want to continue. Can we get back on topic, please?

'
as far as i can tell the topic name is "NASCAR and Japanese brands". i dont see how i could be more on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back