Napa Silver is now ProSelect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Napa today to get a Napa Silver filter for my next OCI. They only had the Golds on the floor so I asked the gent behind the counter. I told him what I needed and he came back with a ProSelect (21085.. Resembles WIX numbers) Said they superseded the Silvers and are still WIX made. Is this correct? The Silvers are still listed on their site too.

The ProSelect is aimed at installers, and the Silver is aimed at consumers. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is.

No, Napa offers the ProSelect AND the Silver filters. The ProSelects are the cheapest filters, the Silvers are a little better. And the ProSelects have been around much longer than the Silvers, so I don't know how he could say the ProSelect supersedes the Silver, as if the ProSelect was recently introduced or something.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
And the ProSelects have been around much longer than the Silvers,

Actually, when I worked at NAPA in the mid-90's, it was only Silver and Gold for filters.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

Actually, when I worked at NAPA in the mid-90's, it was only Silver and Gold for filters.

I worked for NAPA 84-85 and they just had the regular NAPA Filters in 84. In 85 they introduced a Series 2 filter that eventually became the Silver.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Many stores do not carry the silver and substitute the pro select.

This makes sense. Maybe I could order them.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

Yes, but those Silver filters are different from the current Silvers. Those old Silvers were eventually renamed to ProSelect. These new Silvers are different from the old Silver/ProSelect.

I wouldn't be carrying 4 filter lines in my store either.

Originally Posted By: hatt

The store closest to me only carries the Gold line. If I want a Silver I have to drive 10 more miles to the next store. Kind of defeats the purpose of going for the cheaper filter.

My in-law that owns a NAPA, can get just about anything needed with-in one day,one of there main warehouses 45 miles away.

I called the store up and they were able to order one for me. I should be able to pick it up this afternoon.

No, Napa offers the ProSelect AND the Silver filters. The ProSelects are the cheapest filters, the Silvers are a little better. And the ProSelects have been around much longer than the Silvers, so I don't know how he could say the ProSelect supersedes the Silver, as if the ProSelect was recently introduced or something.
Actually, if you look at the NAPA website, the ProSelects are priced HIGHER than the Silvers. What that means, I have no clue but if I'm buying NAPA, it's a Gold. The comparable WIX is a little less money and much closer to my house so if I'm buying my OC from O'Reilly (2/10 mi away from my house), it's Whateverisonsale 5w30 DINO and a Wix with the silicone ADBV. Given Squally dumped Purolator, might be using Whateverisonsale 5w30 DINO and a Wix with the silicone ADBV all the time. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: telecat
Actually, if you look at the NAPA website, the ProSelects are priced HIGHER than the Silvers. What that means, I have no clue but if I'm buying NAPA, it's a Gold. The comparable WIX is a little less money and much closer to my house so if I'm buying my OC from O'Reilly (2/10 mi away from my house), it's Whateverisonsale 5w30 DINO and a Wix with the silicone ADBV. Given Squally dumped Purolator, might be using Whateverisonsale 5w30 DINO and a Wix with the silicone ADBV all the time. We'll see.

Might be a regional thing? The ProSelect is the cheapest here followed by the Silver, Gold then Platinum. The WIX filter from Oreillys is cheaper than the Golds though.

I also just found out today that the MicroGuard is the same as the Silver filters (per WIX's catalog department) and slightly cheaper as well. This might also be a regional thing too though.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: hatt

The store closest to me only carries the Gold line. If I want a Silver I have to drive 10 more miles to the next store. Kind of defeats the purpose of going for the cheaper filter.

You can always go to Napa online and order the exact filter model you want. They usually get it at the store the next day. Saves gas and driving time.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Might be a regional thing? The ProSelect is the cheapest here followed by the Silver, Gold then Platinum. The WIX filter from Oreillys is cheaper than the Golds though.

I also just found out today that the MicroGuard is the same as the Silver filters (per WIX's catalog department) and slightly cheaper as well. This might also be a regional thing too though.
Could be. O'Reilly's is SO close (literally three minutes driving) it's really more cost-effective to get 5W30 DINO and a filter there than driving 12 miles each way to go to Squally World. So once I use up my other P-Classic I'll be using Wix, just because it makes no sense to go any place else, the $3 I save on the filter will evaporate in the travel to get it. Mabe the cool kids will like me...Unless O'Reillys sells Purolators, in which case I'll still use them.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Same here, the ProSelect is the cheapest. I wish we had O'Reillys here. We just have NAPA, Autozone, Advance, and the occasional CarQuest every 50 miles that is never open.

I was curious as to the differences between the two.A response from a Wix rep.stated that the Gold was the premium, Pro Select was the mid level filter and the Silver was the economy filter.

I was curious as to the differences between the two.A response from a Wix rep.stated that the Gold was the premium, Pro Select was the mid level filter and the Silver was the economy filter.

Really? I thought the ProSelect would have been the economy and the silver would have been the mid level. Heck the ProSelect doesn't even come in a box.. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back