Napa has an online repair cost estimator

thermostat quote on an ancient Infiniti G20 thermostat seems high. ($133-170.)
it's a $9.99 part & 40 minutes, working like a sloth.(waiting for the rtv to 'skin') Unless every shop is $199/hour ?
YMMV. (your misery may vary) -seems more accurate on the bigger tasks.

A CVT fluid change on a Subaru is around $100, when a Subaru dealer charges closer to $300 :unsure:

Subaru CVT fluid is $20/qt from the dealer, whereas aftermarket CVT fluid is less. Napa's store counter price on Valvoline CVT is $12/qt, while Walmart charges $7.

Doing a drain and fill takes 5-6 quarts and maybe a half hour, and it requires a special scan tool to read the temperature, and you have to add a little more once the car is warmed up.

Doesn't seem real accurate. I got a new A/C compressor on my Genesis last week. They said the parts is estimated at $893 to $1,060 which is pretty good (was $892) but labor they estimate at $99 to $126 (was actually $496) plus $37 for refrigerant.

Excuse me? Over $2,300 to replace a hub?

I could probably get the whole front end rebuilt for that.... both hubs, springs, shocks, tie rod ends, center link, sway bar, rack, and an alignment.

1611793054692.png

thermostat quote on an ancient Infiniti G20 thermostat seems high. ($133-170.)
it's a $9.99 part & 40 minutes, working like a sloth.(waiting for the rtv to 'skin') Unless every shop is $199/hour ?
YMMV. (your misery may vary) -seems more accurate on the bigger tasks.
Sounds reasonable. Shops mark up parts to an extent, so $15 thermostat, $20 coolant, and a 1 hour minimum at $100 an hour is $135.

Excuse me? Over $2,300 to replace a hub?

I could probably get the whole front end rebuilt for that.... both hubs, springs, shocks, tie rod ends, center link, sway bar, rack, and an alignment.

View attachment 42919
Control arm estimate for my Genesis says $329 to $1,941. Which actually isn't that bad, dealer did all front 8 of mine last October for $5k.

If someone that really knows what they are doing wants to do this job for $172 labor I will be right over. The spread is far to great to be of much benefit IMO.

Your Estimate includes:

Parts: $145 to $297
  • Engine Water Pump Gasket
  • Engine Water Pump

Labor: $172 to $782

Your Estimate includes:

Parts: $275 to $893
  • Engine Oil Pan
  • Engine Oil

Labor: $258 to $1329

an honest independent is the best value as the same job on a pampered vehicle is EZE compared to something older from the SALT belt, of course dealers charge a LOT more due to big overhead + wanting BIG profits. never had anything that a good to better independent could not do for less $$$$$$

Sounds reasonable. Shops mark up parts to an extent, so $15 thermostat, $20 coolant, and a 1 hour minimum at $100 an hour is $135.
well with a coolant change, it's another fee. So add $70. to that total I guess. This is getting spendy.

A CVT fluid change on a Subaru is around $100, when a Subaru dealer charges closer to $300 :unsure:

Subaru CVT fluid is $20/qt from the dealer, whereas aftermarket CVT fluid is less. Napa's store counter price on Valvoline CVT is $12/qt, while Walmart charges $7.

Doing a drain and fill takes 5-6 quarts and maybe a half hour, and it requires a special scan tool to read the temperature, and you have to add a little more once the car is warmed up.
By "special scan tool" don't you really mean an OBDII code reader that does live data?

By "special scan tool" don't you really mean an OBDII code reader that does live data?

Yes, but not all of them read transmission temperature, so it's important that they have one, which a shop will.

The cheapest ones I've seen that do transmission temp are at least $200.

Back