Napa Gold vs Purolator One Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the preferred filter to go with (of these 2)? It looks like the Purolator One filter doesn't have a spring loaded bypass valve judging by the drawing on the box. The Napa Gold has one. Isn't this spring needed for safety reasons if the filter fouls up. I got a new Acura TL last month and want to get the best life out of it. I'm not that concerned if one filter is a couple dollars more if if performs. Thanks. Steve

I like both filters, myself.
grin.gif

The Wix/NAPA Gold bypass valve is better mainly because it is located on the "input" end of the filter. The Purolator design isn't very good.

But, for people that change their filters regularly a filter should never go into bypass unless the weather is ultra-cold.

If money isn't an object, I'd start with the Pure One and maybe throw in a Wix occasionally. If you don't notice any difference between the two then stick with Pure One.

I personally have no problem with where the bypass valve is located. I agree with kanling that it's not likely to ever open except in very cold or extremely loaded conditions.

I think the PureOne has a better filtering ability. They're both high quality filters.

I prefer the NAPA. I like its bypass design better, and the metal is much thinner on the Purolators. I don't like how much the walls of the Purolators bend when I'm gripping them to tighten or remove. Also, my buddy had a defective PureOne that might have been installed had I not heard something rattling around inside when I picked it up.

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
I prefer the NAPA. I like its bypass design better, and the metal is much thinner on the Purolators.

cheers.gif

The bypass is the main reason I bypass Purolators.

Sorry, I dissagree. I think the bypass opens every day first thing in the morning when the oil is not warm. I have also heard that it will always open at high RPM but not sure if I believe that one. And by bypass I do not mean the oil pump relief valve! I am also thinking the bypass at the inlet is a much improved design.

quote:

Originally posted by another Todd:
Sorry, I dissagree. I think the bypass opens every day first thing in the morning when the oil is not warm. I have also heard that it will always open at high RPM but not sure if I believe that one. And by bypass I do not mean the oil pump relief valve! I am also thinking the bypass at the inlet is a much improved design.

Gary Allan has done tests to show otherwise.

quote:

Originally posted by another Todd:
Are these test from Gary Allen available for viewing. I would love to see what he has done, and his test results.

Someone point me the right direction too, it's somthing I've wondered about for a long time. I didn't find it when i did a search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back