How is the Purolator One oil filter?

As far as I know they use a mix but they've used MORE synthetic media, that is white in color, on the latest One's

I figured most of the latest Purolator One's have a white synthetic media these days & the Bosch Premium has more of a blend (Yellow/Tannish) color? Maybe the Bosch has changed since I've looked at them last. Are you sure there's no difference between them?

Keep your story straight.

Hello,
So far I've been using OEM Mazda oil filter, but it's too expensive where I live. I was wondering about the quality of the Purolator One oil filter, is it good enough?
My car is 2016 Mazda 3, 2.0L engine.

View attachment 210403

Good Morning XSR,
The Purolator One's performance specs (99% @26 micron, 15K life) line up with the Fram Tough Guard (99% @20 micron, 15K life).
If you are concerned about the history that members are citing on the Purolator, the Tough Guard is an excellent alternative. They are $7.17 at WalMart stores and on Amazon.

Premium guards from auto parts stores are what I would go to unless you want to step up to an endurance. AAP Carquest premiums that have a silicone gasket are premium guards, AZ stp xl filters with silicone gasket are premium guards, OR microguard select with silicone gasket are premium guards. Usually 99% at 25um and tons of laser straight pleats with a very nice build.

Last edited:
Premium guards from auto parts stores are what I would go to unless you want to step up to an endurance. AAP Carquest premiums that have a silicone gas,et are premium guards, AZ stp xl filters with silicone gasket are premium guards, OR microguard select with silicone gasket are premium guards. Usually 99% at 25um and tons of laser straight pleats with a very nice build.
I just cut one of my new S241 EG synthetics today. Pictures coming later

Good Morning XSR,
The Purolator One's performance specs (99% @26 micron, 15K life) line up with the Fram Tough Guard (99% @20 micron, 15K life).
If you are concerned about the history that members are citing on the Purolator, the Tough Guard is an excellent alternative. They are $7.17 at WalMart stores and on Amazon.
Hello Bellavita, Purolator One's vary in their efficiency & should not be labeled one single standard efficiency level, like 99%@26um, unless referring to a specific filter number. There are Purolator One's that beat that Fram's Tough Guard efficiency as an example. Purolator tearing has largely been rectified over the years & is what prompted Purolator to launch the Boss filter. However, One's & Classic's media have gotten stronger over the years too.

Hello Bellavita, Purolator One's vary in their efficiency & should not be labeled one single standard efficiency level, like 99%@26um, unless referring to a specific filter number. There are Purolator One's that beat that Fram's Tough Guard efficiency as an example. Purolator tearing has largely been rectified over the years & is what prompted Purolator to launch the Boss filter. However, One's & Classic's media have gotten stronger over the years too.
Hi Fantastic,
You're correct. The 99% @26 micron is for a PL14615 specified for my Subaru. I should have noted that in my reply. Thank you.

I vaguely remembered running a P1 PL14610 ~.75" longer version of the topic shorty 14612. Linked* is the c&p of said filter from a family member's Rogue. It's from a few years ago when I started wading back in to Puro use from Napa Gold/(Wix). All good.

The PureOne has Puro's highest efficiency in most sizes, and is a good mid priced option. Tearing media was an issue that appears to have largely been rectified BUT check to make sure the louvers in the center tube are sufficiently open before purchasing. JMO.
I recently searched this forum for torn filters - still finding recent examples of filters made by M+H/Purolator under other branding. It might be kind of "rectified ", but why are only these M+H/Purolator made filters tearing in the same way. And yes, louvers need scrutinizing before use.

While they may appear harmless Initially, further use would almost guarantee tears in the media.
There is zero evidence that wavy pleats cause media tears. Wide pleat spacing combined with weak brittle media causes tears. I need a new ghost writer - you're fired !! 😛 😄

I recently searched this forum for torn filters - still finding recent examples of filters made by M+H/Purolator under other branding. It might be kind of "rectified ", but why are only these M+H/Purolator made filters tearing in the same way. And yes, louvers need scrutinizing before use.
M&H has a huge market out of the few oil filter makers so you're bound to see "More" issues. Now, Change your search words & you'll see the light... Through Fram filters too. :ROFLMAO:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...holes-in-the-crimp.375824/page-5#post-6687352

Torn Frams:

Funny how your BITOG search engine seems to only include torn M&H/Purolator filters. Do a proper search for other brands & not a bias one. Shall I start claiming "Frams tear" everywhere I post as you do M&H/Purolator? Of course not b/c we can find tearing in most filter brands.

Last edited:
^^^ Couple of those are repeats. The one with the seam issue is a rare instance, same with the missing media, not really a case of "tearing" media. Sure, all filters have the possibility of tearing. But you will still find more instances of M+H/Purolator made filters with media tears.

^^^ Couple of those are repeats. The one with the seam issue is a rare instance, same with the missing media, not really a case of "tearing" media. Sure, all filters have the possibility of tearing. But you will still find more instances of M+H/Purolator made filters with media tears.
All of those post's have a different title. More biased excuses to justify the narrative you love to push. We'll just expect yet more of your Purolator tearing drama from circa 2015..

Last edited:
More biased excuses to justify your narrative. We'll just expect more of your Purolator tearing drama..
Read what I said. If you care to do the research, you will still find more torn M+H/Purolator made filters than any other brand. When someone claims that tearing Purolator filters are not as prevelant, I simply pointed out that there are still current examples of them tearing. Regardless of what other brands might be tearing. That's the context you're missing.

Read what I said. If you care to do the research, you will still find more torn M+H/Purolator made filters than any other brand. When someone claims that tearing Purolator filters are not as prevelant, I simply pointed out that there are still current examples of them tearing. Regardless of what other brands might be tearing. That's the context you're missing.
You're missing @KCJeep context in the fact that yes, once upon a time it was a widespread issue but nowhere near as bad today. There will be tearing with Purolator's just like we see Fram's & others but that doesn't justify your Purolator tear fear mongering today. We're in 2024 not 2014. Again, M&H have a huge market & were bound to see more instances but that doesn't mean it's any worse rate than Fram or other brands. Unless you could actually produce data at the tearing rate, 1:1 filter ratio, then it's all just one person's opinion & not fact.

Last edited:
You're missing @KCJeep context in the fact that yes, once upon a time it was a widespread issue but nowhere near as bad today. There will be tearing with Purolator's just like we see Fram's & others but that doesn't justify your Purolator tear fear mongering today. We're in 2024 not 2014. Again, M&H have a huge market & were bound to see more instances but that doesn't mean it's any worse rate than Fram or other brands. Unless you could actually produce data at the tearing rate, 1:1 ratio, then it's all one person's opinion.
No, I didn't miss the context of KC's post. Go read my response in post 29 again. Pay attention to the bold part.

"I recently searched this forum for torn filters - still finding recent examples of filters made by M+H/Purolator under other branding. It might be kind of "rectified ", but why are only these M+H/Purolator made filters tearing in the same way."

What I mean by "the same way" is the wide spaced pleats tearing at the root of the pleat in the same way that most tear. Not some bizarre one-off failure like some of your Fram examples showed.

I never claimed that only Purolators can and do tear, but you being the big Purolator fanboy you are, seem to go wild when you can't read within the context of the dissension. I'm simply pointing out that M+H/Purolator made filters are still showing signs of tearing media and that it's not totally "fixed" now. Is it less than in the heydays of tearing media? ... seems to be, but it's still going on, and probably always will to some degree.

Last edited:
Back