How is the Purolator One oil filter?

xsr

Hello,
So far I've been using OEM Mazda oil filter, but it's too expensive where I live. I was wondering about the quality of the Purolator One oil filter, is it good enough?
My car is 2016 Mazda 3, 2.0L engine.

IMG_7110.jpeg

currently we’re seeing the purolator built mobil 1 filters tearing. we haven’t seen the ONE’s tear yet so i would say run it but make sure you cut them after.

Mazda had a 2.0l engine for years and introduced the Skyactiv Engine ~2012.
The earlier engines' filter fit the Skyactiv but the bypass pressure was different for the newer engine.
It took WIX and Hastings 6 months to provide the different part to stores but they did the right thing.
I'd conclude the WIX is a known good substitute. Hastings is gone now so a Baldwin brand filter is what you'd need.
Use the "wixfilters.com" site to see their filter's bypass pressure.
If Fram Ultra has the same bypass setting, I'd consider that one too.

A few previous threads to get you started on this topic. There are many more but those are older and may or may not be relevant:

Where are you located? How much are the Mazda filters there? What brands of filters are common?

The PureOne has Puro's highest efficiency in most sizes, and is a good mid priced option. Tearing media was an issue that appears to have largely been rectified BUT check to make sure the louvers in the center tube are sufficiently open before purchasing. JMO.

I've been using P1 clone US made Bosch Premium 3323 for a while now on Honda and Nissan. PL14610 equivalent. That's the slightly longer version of the shorty 14612 shown. All have looked great in post use c&ps here. Based my experience, I think it's a good choice.
I figured most of the latest Purolator One's have a white synthetic media these days & the Bosch Premium has more of a blend (Yellow/Tannish) color? Maybe the Bosch has changed since I've looked at them last. Are you sure there's no difference between them?

The PureOne has Puro's highest efficiency in most sizes, and is a good mid priced option. Tearing media was an issue that appears to have largely been rectified BUT check to make sure the louvers in the center tube are sufficiently open before purchasing. JMO.
Good point KC.

I was just reading @ZeeOSix new book titled "Deciphering The Pleats" published by Random Limited Books 2023. $26.95

On page 67 the author has a great analogy where he says wavy pleats are like colon polyps. Initially they are no threat but ultimately a precursor to worse things to come if not acted on immediately.

While they may appear harmless Initially, further use would almost guarantee tears in the media.

Such a fascinating read and a very high quality book in itself Even the books spine is wire backed. All pages are printed on a synthetic blended paper. I heartily recommend it.

I figured most of the latest Purolator One's have a white synthetic media these days & the Bosch Premium has more of a blend (Yellow/Tannish) color? Maybe the Bosch has changed since I've looked at them last. Are you sure there's no difference between them?
When has a PureOne ever had white synthetic media?

.... Are you sure there's no difference between them?
Both use a blended media, and have the same efficiency "rating". While I haven't used the PL14610 recently, past experience, viewing recent c&ps here and youtube and made same Puro plant I'm pretty confident in using the term clone. The one difference, P1 uses PTFE coated sealing gasket, the BP nitrile.

But, now that BP production moved to Mexico, no comparison to previous US made BP quality.

When has a PureOne ever had white synthetic media?
Have you seen the latest Purolator One's with white media?

EDIT: To clarify the Media isn't White White but it got "Whiter" than previously or a lighter tan color when they started bumping them to 15k. I'd say more like a Light tan where before they used to be a darker tan color. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Both use a blended media, and have the same efficiency "rating". While I haven't used the PL14610 recently, past experience, viewing recent c&ps here and youtube and made same Puro plant I'm pretty confident in using the term clone. The one difference, P1 uses PTFE coated sealing gasket, the BP nitrile.

But, now that BP production moved to Mexico, no comparison to previous US made BP quality.
Understood Thanks, so to sum it up the previous Bosch Premiums were a clone of PL14610 but since Bosch moved to making the latest Premiums in Mexico there's no longer a relationship between them.

Man if my OE filter was the excellent Toyko Roki Japan I would run that exclusively.

Ten to thirteen bucks cost ? Don't fret and just find the money. Filters can be problematic and most aftermarket are junk these days IMO. Don't gamble the cost of one gallon of gasoline on something this important.

Back