Oil Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I have 2 vehicles a 2006 Toyota Sienna 3.3L and 2010 Mazda 3 2.0L. They both take the same Mobil 1 filter! I purchased OEM filters, one at Toyota and one at Mazda. An oil filter at Toyota is like $4.50 and at Mazda its like $8.50. My question is this. Since the Mobil 1 filters are the same can I use the OEM Toyota filter on my Mazda?

Thanks

sure sounds like it you may want to cross it at a filter site to double check i did it for you.According to K&N site they both take 1002 so you are good.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
It would probably work to do that, but you always take a chance when you use non-specified filters that it would create some unforseen problem at some point. I wouldn't do it. Besides, the M1 is better than the Toyota OEM, in my opinion.

A oil filter doesn't know what engine its going on.
That being said,if all the internal specs are the same, the Toyota should fit the Mazda. This has been proven true by the M-1 and K&N being same filter for both.
I worked at NAPA for 10 years, had lots of conversations with the Wix, they make NAPA's filters, and if the specs are the same you can swap them no problem.
Example, a 1069,1060 and a 1794 all fit small block Chevys. The difference? 1069=1/2qt 1060=1qt 1794=2qts They all fit.
As vehicles got newer, filters got manufactored by a certain spec number. Most of the time that meant different outside sizes, but if you looked in catalogs at the filter specs, the type of media, thread size, sealing gasket , ADBV and the bypass PSI were the same. Each filter would hold more or less oil.
During farm filter days guys would bring list of oil filters for their tractors, combines etc, of different brands. JohnDeere, Case, CaseIH, International etc. You would not believe howmany oil filters you can consoldate to fit ALL their stuff, instead of having numerous filters for different tractors etc.
oldhp

Originally Posted By: oldhp
That being said,if all the internal specs are the same, the Toyota should fit the Mazda. This has been proven true by the M-1 and K&N being same filter for both.

Among OEM filters, that's one thing I always liked about AC Delco, at least in the past, since I can't say it's true now or not, since our Walmarts no longer have them. At least AC always published a catalog for other makes and models of vehicles, besides just GMs. In that case, you're covered since AC recommended that filter for a specific non-GM vehicle.

I am just surprised by Toyota's fair prices for consumables...

I have dealt with them a bit and they seem to just want to sell cars... The rest of the stuff, especially oil, is a great deal.

My next car, I plan on giving Toyota a closer look.

"They both take the same Mobil 1 filter...My question is this. Since the Mobil 1 filters are the same, can I use the OEM Toyota filter on my Mazda?"

Probably yes. But they may have different bypass pressure settings, meaning you'd be using a "compromise" filter than one that's truly matched to the engine in regards to bypass. Probably not a big issue, and may not be an issue at all in your case, but my preference is to steer towards the part number which a given filter manufacturer recommends for a specific engine.

"I have 2 vehicles, a 2006 Toyota Sienna 3.3L and 2010 Mazda 3 2.0L."

If your 2010 Mazda engine is still under warranty, be careful what filter is on it should you pull that ride into a Mazda service bay for an engine repair covered under warranty. If they see what they consider an "improper" filter on it, or specifically a filter that no mainstream, aftermarket catalog calls for on that engine (such as a Toyota filter on a Mazda engine), that might open a can o' worms for ya. If they're wienies, they might say, "Sorry, Charlie...no warranty for you!"

Originally Posted By: Falken
I have dealt with them a bit and they seem to just want to sell cars...

But not just any cars, they want to upsell you what you don't need and can't afford while pretending to not know what you "built" and requested a quote for on the Toyota Motors website. Then lying telling me they can't order what I wanted directly from Toyota. (But another dealership offered to do just that.) That's may experience lately around here. I hate my local Toyota dealership and quit Toyota because of them. But that's another story...

Yes, their consumables are rather reasonable, but I still am not overwhelmed by most of their dealer sold oil filters. Probably the most porous (in my opinion, useless) filter paper I've ever seen. (Talking about the 90915-YZZD1 I was spec'ed for.)

Originally Posted By: firefighter0629
Okay I have 2 vehicles a 2006 Toyota Sienna 3.3L and 2010 Mazda 3 2.0L. They both take the same Mobil 1 filter! I purchased OEM filters, one at Toyota and one at Mazda. An oil filter at Toyota is like $4.50 and at Mazda its like $8.50. My question is this. Since the Mobil 1 filters are the same can I use the OEM Toyota filter on my Mazda?

Thanks

Check Amazon and EPAY for deals on OEM.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I am just surprised by Toyota's fair prices for consumables...

I have dealt with them a bit and they seem to just want to sell cars... The rest of the stuff, especially oil, is a great deal.

My next car, I plan on giving Toyota a closer look.

Filters and such are one thing, the rest of their parts prices will make you cry. Always check Amazon and/or Rockauto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back