My truck hates TGMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
u cant use that super duper almost invisible thin oil in your pickup ,no wonder your hearing so much engine noise, besides tgmo being super thin like water,rocket high to the heavens VI what else does it do?.?.?just stick to the major brands you trust and have there stake in the game with real world testing's and countless billions of dollars in research and development to get the best product in your hands and engine. Leave the watered down Toyota oil to the Prius and tree huggers out there.
24.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This "thinner is better" mentality is a mental illness; and it seems to be horrendously contagious too.

+1
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Calling out others for mental illness? Geez, you are something.

I guess when one cannot make a rational or technical argument this is what you get.

This "thinner is better" mentality is a mental illness; and it seems to be horrendously contagious too.

Not that I'm defending merkava however let's try to stand on the outside and look in to this fine forum we are a part of.
To an outsider I'm sure we all look mental defective.
We frequent a forum where oil is the topic.
We discuss and dissect minutia such as ppm zddp in an SN oil vs an SL oil. We discuss what fuel consumption differences will come from using a 5w-20 vs a 0w-20 etc etc.
To the outside world I'm sure we all seem a bit touched,not that there's anything wrong with that.
So tip one back boys and celebrate that we are "special"

And on the other side of the coin...This "thicker is better" mentality is a mental illness; and it seems to be horrendously contagious too.

Which is better? Neither...that is why we should simply accept what the OEM states, leave it at that, and stop playing armchair engineer.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I didn't know a mechanical object had emotions.

It sounds like it's got diarrhea too. No wonder it's not happy.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
The TGMO was like water while draining it.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

And on the other side of the coin...This "thicker is better" mentality is a mental illness; and it seems to be horrendously contagious too.

Which is better? Neither...that is why we should simply accept what the OEM states, leave it at that, and stop playing armchair engineer.

Well said! I find that sometimes just the basics like reading the owner manual's recommended lubricants section and reading what specs are listed on the back of the oil jugs works best for optimum results in my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Oily_hair

Well said! I find that sometimes just the basics like reading the owner manual's recommended lubricants section and reading what specs are listed on the back of the oil jugs works best for optimum results in my vehicles.

The owners manual is usually a pretty good place to start. I'm also willing to bet the OP's Ford owners manual doesn't say anywhere to use TGMO in the sump. Especially since it doesn't meet the Ford specifications.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The owners manual is usually a pretty good place to start. I'm also willing to bet the OP's Ford owners manual doesn't say anywhere to use TGMO in the sump. Especially since it doesn't meet the Ford specifications.

No it doesn't meet Ford specs. I suspect the next 4 months won't see temps above freezing and many mornings below -20. I figured the cold start benefits would outweigh any drawbacks since they are both 20 weight spec'd oils at running temps. Guess not.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No it doesn't meet Ford specs. I suspect the next 4 months won't see temps above freezing and many mornings below -20. I figured the cold start benefits would outweigh any drawbacks since they are both 20 weight spec'd oils at running temps. Guess not.

I'm not up on Canadian prices, but here Mobil 1 0W20 is reasonably priced and always on sale somewhere. The cold flow and pumping specs are very good, and it is according to Mobil a replacement oil for 5W20 spec'd engines.

From their site:
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy is available in 0W-20 and 0W-30 formulations. ExxonMobil recommends Mobil 1 0W-20 for 5W-20 applications and Mobil 1 0W-30 for 5W-30 and 10W-30 applications.

If the manufacturer of my car recommends a 5W-20 motor oil, will I void my warranty if I use Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy instead? If your car manufacturer recommends a SAE 5W-20 ILSAC oil (starburst), we recommend either Mobil 1 5W-20 or Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy.

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy will not void new-car warranties where an SAE 5W-20 oil is recommended. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy can provide better fuel economy and better low temperature performance compared to higher viscosity oils.

--------------------------------

I'd feel a lot safer with Mobil 1 vs. TGMO if I wanted a 0W-20 oil in a Ford calling for 5W20. Obviously opinions vary. I'd be willing to bet Toyota doesn't endorse TGMO for Ford vehicles, but that's just a hunch.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I didn't know a mechanical object had emotions.

Only at BITOG.....And a woman's vibrator.

Well, thinner isn't always better of course. It's well-known that wear increases with decreasing viscosity and this becomes noticeable under certain viscosity and catastrophic if you make the viscosity too low.

Likewise, thicker isn't always better either. You still want to be able to pump the oil through the circuit and it needs to flow fast enough so that it cools down the engine. Also, after certain viscosity, you just get decrease in fuel economy with no further benefits in decreased wear.

So, simply go with the lowest viscosity your engine tolerates without increased wear and save $$$ in fuel costs and have smoother low-throttle response.

If your truck is this sensitive to viscosity, your problem could reappear.

Be interesting to see a UOA of the drained TGMO.

I suspect the next 4 months won't see temps above freezing and many mornings below -20. I figured the cold start benefits would outweigh any drawbacks since they are both 20 weight spec'd oils at running temps. Guess not.

Exactly my point.
I don't know how often do you have -20C, but this is normal temperature in the place where I was born and lived. We have -20-25C for at least 30-35 days per year. And sometimes we did something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4oj3UmSoE
Belive me, any 5wXX oil works for you just fine, and you'll have no need to do these steps ;-)

Originally Posted By: timeau
I suspect the next 4 months won't see temps above freezing and many mornings below -20. I figured the cold start benefits would outweigh any drawbacks since they are both 20 weight spec'd oils at running temps. Guess not.

Exactly my point.
I don't know how often do you have -20C, but this is normal temperature in the place where I was born and lived. We have -20-25C for at least 30-35 days per year. And sometimes we did something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4oj3UmSoE
Belive me, any 5wXX oil works for you just fine, and you'll have no need to do these steps ;-)

He's in Alberta. It has been -24-26C there the last few days, LOL! They see temps as low as -40C during the winter.

So Toyota never tested TGMO?

Yet another fantastic post by you that is supported with technical data.

Originally Posted By: Bloodknights
u cant use that super duper almost invisible thin oil in your pickup ,no wonder your hearing so much engine noise, besides tgmo being super thin like water,rocket high to the heavens VI what else does it do?.?.?just stick to the major brands you trust and have there stake in the game with real world testing's and countless billions of dollars in research and development to get the best product in your hands and engine. Leave the watered down Toyota oil to the Prius and tree huggers out there.
24.gif

FL820S can go 15k miles easily. Confirmed by both Ford and Exxon engineers over the phone.

As for thinnest or thickest oil your engine can "tolerate", it depends on the engine. There are 2 main factors in NA affecting real world engineering and manual recommendation:

1. Emissions
2. Fuel consumption/economy

He's in Alberta. It has been -24-26C there the last few days, LOL! They see temps as low as -40C during the winter. [/quote]

I've never experienced such a temperatures, how can a human function in these harsh environment ? You are tough people.
When we get -2C and a 2 centimeters of snow nobody goes to work, we all gather at local coffee shop and drink hot tee with gloves on
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back