My truck hates TGMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tcp71
Maybe the age of the engine no longer lends itself to very thin oils.

Your old-aged 2009 truck? Well, my almost-30-year-old Toyota loves it.

I doubt the problem was oil-related. TGMO is not any thinner at normal operating temperature than any other 5W-20 or 0W-20 -- they all have 2.6 cSt (SAE J300 minimum) or slightly higher HTHS viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Trav
uh oh your in trouble now! When one poster reads this it will take him days to stop wobbling and calm down. How dare someone question the TAO of ultra high VI TGMO with synthetic crocodile tears. LOL

Be prepared for "it was probably the filter, you must run a oil pressure and temp gauge or you bought it in bulk and didn't get real TGMO from one of those shady US dealers".
He and everyone else (who is knowledgeable) races with this in the sump so there is no reason for it not to run perfectly well in any engine even on the track.

Edit: I just saw Overkills post. Yes you screwed up you should have run the famous blend with a little 0w40 in there
crackmeup2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

OP go back to an oil that meets the Ford specs, and leave the Toyota oil for vehicles that call for it.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Your engine doesn't have cam phasers so I'm sure you didn't have any trouble with them.

Are you sure about that? i was under the assumption that the 3v engines did for 04-10. there was and updated phaser that had a dowel to hold the spring tight and not tick that came out sometime in 06 i believe. My 04 certainly did have phasers as i changed them.

OP the Toyota 0w20 may have been too light to allow the timing chain tensioners to stay tight, which would allow them to "flop" a tad in the guides. Use a ford spec'd oil in 5w20 or 0w20.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Your engine doesn't have cam phasers so I'm sure you didn't have any trouble with them.
Are you sure about that? i was under the assumption that the 3v engines did for 04-10. there was and updated phaser that had a dowel to hold the spring tight and not tick that came out sometime in 06 i believe. My 04 certainly did have phasers as i changed them.

I think RoadKing was replying to Spazdog who said:

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I had a big stash of Trop-Artic 5W30 when I bought my Mazda (Ford Duratec 30) Used that until I ran out. Ran various 5W20s after that and experimented with 0W20. Never had a problem with my cam-phasers.

The 04-10 modulars do have cam phasers (including the ones in the latest modular engines still used in the Expedition).

From what I have read on this site by TGMO experts and the thread that gives all the technical details imaginable about TGMO it was designed specifically for the Toyota {fill in the blank motor to make your point}. It is light at all temps imaginable on this planet while being heavier than necessary as long as your oil pressure gauge is at some value above another value found on the internet. Add some M1 0w-40 and all will be OK. LOL.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

I had a big stash of Trop-Artic 5W30 when I bought my Mazda (Ford Duratec 30) Used that until I ran out. Ran various 5W20s after that and experimented with 0W20. Never had a problem with my cam-phasers.

The 04-10 modulars do have cam phasers (including the ones in the latest modular engines still used in the Expedition).

2010_FX4 you are correct. I missed that his reply was to spazdog. My apologies, Roadking.

-Don

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

just in the interest of accuracy ...

the 5.4 3v was used in the expeditions up to MY2014. MY2015 now gets the 3.5v6 ecoboost.

FWIW, my 2006 expedition with the 3v 5.4 runs much quieter on 5w30 vs 5w20, and uses half as much oil on 5w30 as well.

if you found a 5w30 you like, just keep using that if it is making less noise..... JMO.

Originally Posted By: meborder
the 5.4 3v was used in the expeditions up to MY2014. MY2015 now gets the 3.5v6 ecoboost.

Thanks for the information; I have not looked at any of the 2015 vehicles (I was thinking of the 2014 and earlier since we looked at a Expedition when we were shopping, but landed on an Explorer). I guess the last modular has rolled off the line...

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
From what I have read on this site by TGMO experts and the thread that gives all the technical details imaginable about TGMO it was designed specifically for the Toyota {fill in the blank motor to make your point}. It is light at all temps imaginable on this planet while being heavier than necessary as long as your oil pressure gauge is at some value above another value found on the internet. Add some M1 0w-40 and all will be OK. LOL.
smile.gif

Nate1979, I think you nailed it.

Som years ago, I tried to condense all of the "20 knowledge" on the site into one, easy to read format.

oilgrades.jpg

OP, if you follow my chart, I think you will do well.

Afterall, it was the only oil that I expressly sought out in Vegas to drive 3000 miles through the desert in a Nissan Maxima.

Tell that to all the Mazda6S, Fusion, Milan, MK-Z....Ford Duratec 30 owners that got a P0021 or P0022 CEL.

I don't think Ford switched to torque actuated timing until about 2009.

We can call it a VVT camshaft gear if you prefer

i have a 2009 f150 with the 5.4L and almost 100k miles. It is spec'd for 5w20. I recently changed the oil to TGMO 0w20 for the winter and it has had a great deal of cam phaser/timing chain noise ever since. Today,after driving for a couple of hours, I went to back up and the phaser noise got very loud and the idle got rough. I immediately shut it off and restarted and it idled normally. I went and changed the oil out for some 5w30 edge titanium. I drove another couple of hours after and the phasers were much quieter and no recurance of the stumbling. The TGMO was like water while draining it. Maybe the age of the engine no longer lends itself to very thin oils.

I always did not understand why people are so excited by TGMO here. Pure "John has it, so I need it too" psychology. This is more than usual Group III oil, not too bad and, of course, not excellent. Just does it's job, no more.
Anyway, I don't think that TGMO made you these troubles. Believe me, 5W20 or 0W20 are same when engine is warm. You need to dig somewhere else. And you could find many other oils that are cheaper and better than TGMO.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This "thinner is better" mentality is a mental illness; and it seems to be horrendously contagious too.

Yep. It's right up there with granite toque. See when a person refuses to learn from data posted they are stunted and growth is impossible. It's definitely a sickness for which there is no cure.
When a person gets granite toque they lose all real sense. They can no longer improvise in tough situations because they know of only one way to think,so unless the world accommodates those afflicted with granite toque they fall by the wayside,since they cannot think outside the box.

Calling out others for mental illness? Geez, you are something.

I guess when one cannot make a rational or technical argument this is what you get.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This "thinner is better" mentality is a mental illness; and it seems to be horrendously contagious too.

I'm pretty sure it was the oil. I figured at -25c that it has been for the last few days, thinner oil wouldn't cause issues, but it did. I actually didn't change the filter(did I mention it was -25C? The FL820s filter only had 295kms on it) and drove for a couple of hours today with the edge titanium(on sale at canadian tire for $29.95 right now for you Canadians) and the engine is quiet and no phaser rattle at all.
I would think that at -25 the oil wouldn't even get to temperature, but apparently it does. I just threw a drain pan under the oil pan and opened the fumoto valve so the entire oil change only took about 10 minutes. Still froze my a$$ off. I've never had oil drain so quickly through the fumoto valve...even in the heat of summer. That TGMO is seriously thin.

Here in Canada TGMO is probably about the cheapest synthetic oil of reasonable quality you can buy at $5.74 / liter. It just doesn't play well with my truck. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it was the oil. I figured at -25c that it has been for the last few days, thinner oil wouldn't cause issues, but it did. I actually didn't change the filter(did I mention it was -25C? The FL820s filter only had 295kms on it) and drove for a couple of hours today with the edge titanium(on sale at canadian tire for $29.95 right now for you Canadians) and the engine is quiet and no phaser rattle at all.
I would think that at -25 the oil wouldn't even get to temperature, but apparently it does. I just threw a drain pan under the oil pan and opened the fumoto valve so the entire oil change only took about 10 minutes. Still froze my a$$ off. I've never had oil drain so quickly through the fumoto valve...even in the heat of summer. That TGMO is seriously thin.

Yep nit was cold today. I think we hit -27 this morning.
I saw edge on sale today. But only the 5w-30 was from what I saw. 30 bucks a jug is great pricing for canada and I considered buying a few jugs however I've still got roughly 20 jugs in stock as well as 100 or so loose quarts so until I make a dent in that I've had to make a conscious effort to not buy any more oil.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Yep nit was cold today. I think we hit -27 this morning.
I saw edge on sale today. But only the 5w-30 was from what I saw. 30 bucks a jug is great pricing for canada and I considered buying a few jugs however I've still got roughly 20 jugs in stock as well as 100 or so loose quarts so until I make a dent in that I've had to make a conscious effort to not buy any more oil.

Tough to fight that urge off to buy more isn't it? My stash is at a point that I'm comfortable with, and I will only buy oil if the deal is too good to be true. That hasn't happened in a while..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back