Not complaining but don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backstory: I purchased a 2007 F150 5.4L with 43000 miles last June that appeared to be in good mechanical shape. After purchasing it I changed the oil to the recommended Motorcraft 5w20/Motorcraft filter and developed a loud diesel sound which in the 3 valve 5.4L is associated with the cam phasers (VCT system). Needless to say I was worried about buying the truck and immediately developing this. A higher viscosity was recommended to me, and I switched to a 10w30. The noise was still there.

Fast forward: I changed the oil to Penz Ultra 5w30 about 1000 miles ago. I noticed the oil become a darker amber color from the light color it started at within the first few hundred miles. The biggest difference noticed though was the absence of the phaser noise. I mean completely gone and the motor sounds like it should! I have the same commute every week (70 miles one way) so the oil is always warm and the same conditions when I use to hear the noise.
So my question is why in the world would Ultra 5w30 do this when a 5w20 and 10w30 made noises? I know there's nothing special in Ultra to make it magic, but shouldn't have the 10w30 done the same thing sine they're the same at operating temp?
confused.gif

My guess would be the Ultra cleaned things up and you don't have valves, lifters, etc. sticking. We saw it our 95 Voyager when we went to M-1 long ago.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Ultra = better oil than Motorcraft, quieted down the engine.

Other people have opposite results.

So maybe I'm looking at it wrong and it's the additive package and not viscosity? Most every issue with these VCT noises are with oil pressure and viscosity because it is an oil pressure operated system. The noises didn't occur cold regardless of the oil type, only when warm.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
FYI, there's a TSB from Ford authorising the use of 10W-40 for cam phaser noise...

I'm aware of the TSB, but that's more of a band aid than a fix IMO. That's mainly for those who don't actually want to go through and replace the phasers, timing chain, and guides that already have the noise consistently. The noise coming and going lead me to believe it's oil related and not a mechanical flaw like in many other cases.

This is not unusual. Do nothing but just keep using what works. If the PU quiets it down...good for you.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my '06 F150 5.4L at 38k miles. I bought my truck new and only used Motorcraft 5w20. I began to notice that at about 2000 miles into the OCI, the driver-side phaser started making noise upon acceleration (very loud). I changed to Quaker State Ultimate Durability and the sound never came back. At 50k, I started using Pennzoil Ultra and the truck is the smoothest and quietest it has ever been. I can only hear the gentle subdued clicks of the fuel injectors at idle. Another observation is that the occasional start up rattle is completely gone. I always thought it was the result of oil seeping past the anti-drainback valve on the FL820s filter. 2000 miles into the OCI with PU 5w20 SN, and still no rattle. I am obsessed with this sound and listen for it in the morning, but so far nothing.

As for the the 5.4L 3v, a clean engine is critical for proper VCT operation. There are tight oil channels/orifices in the cam phaser, vct solenoid, and oil passage to chain tensioners. There is also a micro-screen filter at the entry of the VCT solenoid housing. If this gets plugged up, the phaser will begin to rattle. On these engines, sufficient oil flow is essential to the VCT operation. Anything that impedes that, will cause problems. On my truck, I stick with a good detergent 5w20 synthetic motor oil (Pennzoil Ultra), Motorcraft filter (FL820s), and change the oil according to Ford's maintenance schedule (5000k miles). My engine is clean, smooth, and runs like new.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
My guess would be the Ultra cleaned things up and you don't have valves, lifters, etc. sticking. We saw it our 95 Voyager when we went to M-1 long ago.

1995 Voyager. I have one. It sits awaiting a rebuilt transmission. 210,000 miles out of the first one. Never saw Mobil 1.

I thought when they first came out with the 3v 5.4, they said to NOT use anything heaver than a 20 grade oil because it wold affect operation of the cam pahsers?

Had your exact same experiences with M1. Both Toyotas in my sig quiet as a mouse now. I agree the phasers get sticky on dino over time. Not as much with newer sn dinos but over the years it happens. Evidence is the lack of ticking and the dark sticky sludge and varnish floating on your dip stick using PU. Once cleaned up you can go back to dino, think most of the new sn dinos are good enough to keep the phasers clean.

Ok so that is NOT a TSB. OASIS Special Service Messages are completely different. It is just advice to try to solve a problem before major repairs are made.

Also in researching it, Ford has pulled it from their system, meaning it is not to be followed anymore.

Out of curiosity what filter did you use with the PU? Not that it should matter because the MC is a quality unit. Did you cut open the old filter to see if there was any debris caught in it? It almost sounds like the PU cleaned something in the VCT solenoid.

^ I went with the Ford Racing version of the 820 filter with the PU since it has better filtration than the FL820S. I actually started out the first oil change with a Motorcraft FL820S filter when first developed the noise. Then switched to a Wix with the 10w30 and the noise stayed. Ford Racing filter from Roush Yates and PU seems to be the best combination so far.

bdcardinal: Thanks for clearing that up on the Oasis/TSB thing. I dug up that thread and saw it wasn't a TSB. Like I said before, I think that was Ford's band aide approach to it before they just started replacing things like should be.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I thought when they first came out with the 3v 5.4, they said to NOT use anything heaver than a 20 grade oil because it wold affect operation of the cam pahsers?

They did claim that, but with the rashes of cam phasers failing all the way up to the 2010 5.4L's, I tend to think it's not the best recommendation. Overseas Ford recommends either 5w20 or 5w30. I'm on an F150 discussion forum and there have been several running 5w20 at very short OCIs and still have failures due to lubrication, while the Xw30 guys keep on going. Some run 10w30 and some like me want better startup protection and stay with the 5w30.
I've got a Gryphon programmer (same display as an Edge) that allows you to see cam degree position. Since the switch to a Xw30 viscosity, cam phaser operation and subsequently cam degree position has remain unchanged from the 5w20 previously.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ok so that is NOT a TSB. OASIS Special Service Messages are completely different. It is just advice to try to solve a problem before major repairs are made.

Also in researching it, Ford has pulled it from their system, meaning it is not to be followed anymore.

Probably cause Ford's lawyers said they'd have their arse in a sling if the Fed found out such recommendation effected CAFE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back