My truck hates TGMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2009 f150 with the 5.4L and almost 100k miles. It is spec'd for 5w20. I recently changed the oil to TGMO 0w20 for the winter and it has had a great deal of cam phaser/timing chain noise ever since. Today,after driving for a couple of hours, I went to back up and the phaser noise got very loud and the idle got rough. I immediately shut it off and restarted and it idled normally. I went and changed the oil out for some 5w30 edge titanium. I drove another couple of hours after and the phasers were much quieter and no recurance of the stumbling. The TGMO was like water while draining it. Maybe the age of the engine no longer lends itself to very thin oils.

Does TGMO meet the specs called by from Ford? No, it does not. Therefore, you should not be running it in your F-150. What lead you to use it?

uh oh your in trouble now! When one poster reads this it will take him days to stop wobbling and calm down. How dare someone question the TAO of ultra high VI TGMO with synthetic crocodile tears. LOL

Be prepared for "it was probably the filter, you must run a oil pressure and temp gauge or you bought it in bulk and didn't get real TGMO from one of those shady US dealers".
He and everyone else (who is knowledgeable) races with this in the sump so there is no reason for it not to run perfectly well in any engine even on the track.

Edit: I just saw Overkills post. Yes you screwed up you should have run the famous blend with a little 0w40 in there
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
I have wondered about using TGMO (that I got a good deal on) in my new 2014 Focus 2.0 which specs 5w20.

Now I'm not so sure.

Does anybody know the NOACK of TGMO?.....supposedly the DI engine does better (deposit wise) with low NOACK oils.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have wondered about using TGMO (that I got a good deal on) in my new 2014 Focus 2.0 which specs 5w20.

Now I'm not so sure.

Does anybody know the NOACK of TGMO?.....supposedly the DI engine does better (deposit wise) with low NOACK oils.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_03_2014.pdf

Originally Posted By: Ford

WSS-M2C945–A

The design of your engine allows for the use of Motorcraft engine oils or equivalent oils that
meet Ford specifications. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity
grade that meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline
engines.

I'd be inclined to use an oil that meets the 945 spec, considering it is a more stringent spec than API SN.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Does TGMO meet the specs called by from Ford? No, it does not. Therefore, you should not be running it in your F-150. What lead you to use it?

Yeah, what this guy said.
grin.gif

From the owners manual for the OP's truck:

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil
Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American
Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms
to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and
Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.
To protect your engine and engine’s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification
WSS-M2C930-A.

Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A and the API Certification mark.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/09f12og3e.pdf

What were your trying to accomplish with using TGMO in your pick up truck? Better fuel economy?

As we all know TGMO indeed have a strong additive pack based mostly on molybdenum and gipsy tears, but that only work in Toyotas.
Your Ford just thinned out very thin oil from the start. Good recipe for bottom end knock start though.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
i have a 2009 f150 with the 5.4L and almost 100k miles. It is spec'd for 5w20. I recently changed the oil to TGMO 0w20 for the winter and it has had a great deal of cam phaser/timing chain noise ever since. Today,after driving for a couple of hours, I went to back up and the phaser noise got very loud and the idle got rough. I immediately shut it off and restarted and it idled normally. I went and changed the oil out for some 5w30 edge titanium. I drove another couple of hours after and the phasers were much quieter and no recurance of the stumbling. The TGMO was like water while draining it. Maybe the age of the engine no longer lends itself to very thin oils.

My 2010 FX4 is doing minimum 15K OCIs with 0W-20 with nearly 140K miles on the same engine. I do not think 0W-20 oil is too thin, though I am using M1 products which carry Ford specifications.

Try M1 0-20 as it has the Ford spec. Others here have used it for very long OCIs with no problems in their 5.4.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: tcp71

My 2010 FX4 is doing minimum 15K OCIs with 0W-20 with nearly 140K miles on the same engine. I do not think 0W-20 oil is too thin, though I am using M1 products which carry Ford specifications.

Bingo
thumbsup2.gif

Subsequently, they are a bit heavier.

If it rattled and ran rough and a shut down restart corrected the problem your vct solenoids are sticking. It will most likely do it again.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
If it rattled and ran rough and a shut down restart corrected the problem your vct solenoids are sticking. It will most likely do it again.

+1 - what oil were you using before? Conventional or Synthetic? Not that it really matters--just curious. Also, what was your OCI and filter?

I had a big stash of Trop-Artic 5W30 when I bought my Mazda (Ford Duratec 30) Used that until I ran out. Ran various 5W20s after that and experimented with 0W20. Never had a problem with my cam-phasers.

But hey, now I know not to bother with TGMO....not that I would unless it was a really good bargain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back