My S10 Blazer 4.3 oil selection: Edge SPT 0W-40 ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
.. or good ol' 0W-30 based on what they do in fact have on the shelf. I would not be forced into a blend if for some reason I could not order from online. That has happened before.

This solves a number of issues for me:

1. I don't need to buy oil at Walmart.

2. I could buy at Amazon.com or build points in Autozone or advance since autozone does not treat its military employs well and a boycott is still at work.
wink.gif

3. my engine was spec'd for a 30 weight and a 50 weight may be too heavy; however a 40 way to give better protection given the unknown engine may be perfect. also it is synthetic with a 0 W for startup flow whether it is the German Castrol 40 wait which is heavier and may have better properties. also is a synthetic in case there is some kind of hot spot in my engine as I really do not know.

4. again 0 W number as I thought of oil with a 5w number and 40 weight hot transcribed API HTHS number.

5. my father used to run 10 w 40 conventional oil in his blazer in the summer all the way through fall then 10w30 in the winter as 5w-30 was not trusted by he in the 80's or 90's for some reason nor was synthetic oil.

How am I doing, for my unconventional oil selection?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
What a waste of money on a 20 year old 4.3. Any 10/5w30 will due just fine.

Why do some still do 10W?

Can't even a not so great or perhaps mediocre 0w such as Castrol Edge or send text or SPT or LPT or black bottle or gold bottle do better then any old 5w or 10w?

I decided that red line and then reluctantly had to conclude that Royal Purple would be waste but I still want to address some possible issues by perhaps not going with the 5w 30. Same for M1 or AMSOIL, TBF.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I would not be forced into a blend

Glad people have priorities in life.

death before dishonor
the New Hampshire license plate: live free or die
all of these applied here
smile.gif

Whatever you choose will be fine from 0w30 to 15w40. These engines are easy on oil, not picky, and the truck will fall apart before you have and oil related issue most likely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jstutz
and the truck will fall apart before you have and oil related issue most likely.

I think it has already fallen apart.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
What a waste of money on a 20 year old 4.3. Any 10/5w30 will due just fine.
qft except id say any 50 year old straight 40 weight ND oil would do just fine

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jstutz
and the truck will fall apart before you have and oil related issue most likely.

I think it has already fallen apart.

Its been taken apart.

A 4.3 only really cares that it has oil in it, not so much what kind. Quit over thinking everything and, grab some reasonable priced oil, and put the money saved into fixing everything else.

I think it is pretty well accepted around here that the 4.3 does better with conventional oil. With that said, I get noticeably better wear numbers with a premium synthetic. PU produces the best results; VWB produced the worst.

The minimum oil pressure required for the 4.3 is only 6-8 psi. Unless your truck is struggling with that, I would stick to the 30 wt oils. If you want something a little thicker for the bearings, M1 HM would be an excellent fit.

You should send your oil off for a UOA to check for coolant. The intake manifolds are prone to leaking coolant into the oil.

Any 5w30 will work, I dont recommend Mobil 0w30. Have that in our Chevy now and its made the engine louder and ticky.

Wait for a good sale from Advance, get conventional and a filter and save your $$ for other things. You will get no benefit in this engine from a synthetic...or at least, not enough benefit to justify the cost...

You don't have the $$ to tow your Volvo back...so, why waste the $$ you don't have on oil...

A co worker had a s10 with 4.3 and had almost 500k miles on it. Doing like 20-30k oci with tons of highway miles. Gobbs of sludge came out of the drain plug at each oil change but it keeps on running. Mostly gtx 10w30 iirc.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
5. my father used to run 10 w 40 conventional oil in his blazer in the summer all the way through fall then 10w30 in the winter as 5w-30 was not trusted by he in the 80's or 90's for some reason nor was synthetic oil.

I would have mistrusted the 10w-40 of those years before I would mistrust the 5w-30, and GM would agree with me. As for avoiding a blend, I don't blame you.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back