my oil journey

here's my journey on motor oils:

>540 Rat Oil Blog
>bought Quaker State 0W-20 "best oil" hype. :ROFLMAO:
>find Bobistheoilguy
>search out the Green unicorn German Castrol in clearance section!!!
>what certification does the oil carry phase?
>learn a little about HTHS, viscosity spread, VII... read a ton of SON OF JOE posts. ignore base stocks
>years later learn a little about base stocks
>realize i still know nothing...
>"no best oil" moment achieved. maybe oil analysis really don't say much? still clueless
>become obsessed with PAO/AN and Esters
>realize that i still know nothing and come to the a realization that i'm OCD and enjoy buying oils that make me sleep better at night.
>read Gokhan's spreadsheet daily
>friends ask me what's the best oil? i send them to buy my default answer: Mobil1 Euro 0W-40.

good night and thank you to all the members who put a grain of knowledge on this site so we NORMIES can learn a little about motor oils. much appreciated.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember the German Castrol hype. I think back then the thought was that GC was made by elves hence its greenish tinge.

I also bought into the GTL hype thinking it was the best base stock.

Now, I just go with certifications. SP and Dexos1Gen3.

Yeah I remember the German Castrol hype. I think back then the thought was that GC was made by elves hence its greenish tinge.

Which is why the old GC wasn't hype. It carried demanding approvals such as BMW Longlife-01 and Porsche A40.

Base stock composition divorced from proof of performance is the problem. GC had both, as do other oils today.

Buy the Fumoto valve to drain your oil and try out the MityVac and see which you like best. Also determine whether you go by the owners manual or go to a thicker oil hahaha.
>search Australia sites as an American and see how CAFE only recommends the thin stuff. proceed to go to 10W-30 and recommend 40 grades to friends to see if their engines blow up LOL 😆

you can't go wrong with the dexos certs 🤝🏻

Which is why the old GC wasn't hype. It carried demanding approvals such as BMW Longlife-01 and Porsche A40.

Base stock composition divorced from proof of performance is the problem. GC had both, as do other oils today.
i only found one unicorn GC out in the wild after hearing about it in Bitog. used it in a generator and it held up nicely

i only found one unicorn GC out in the wild after hearing about it in Bitog. used it in a generator and it held up nicely
Them elves my friend...them elves.

I think some people back then said GC smelled nice too. I don't have any personal experience with it though.

We should start an association called Oil Journey Anonymous….or maybe BITOGA(nonymous).

today was not a good day. (I couldn’t stay away)

FYI, I still use Castrol “BC” Euro 0w30 in my 146k Subaru EJ25 turbo. I’ve liked it, and so far nothing has blown up. But the stash is gone now. So what next? I won’t need to change for another 9 mo or so. But I’m much more concerned with what to use in a Ford EEK-O-Boost 😳 😱 3.5 fuel diluter. Yeah, tried to understand all the usual-suspect magic-bullets. Valvoline Prem Blue RESTORE worked well, tho VERY EXPENSIVE, and maybe also gone…at least from my stash.

So here we are.

We should start an association called Oil Journey Anonymous….or maybe BITOGA(nonymous).

today was not a good day. (I couldn’t stay away)

FYI, I still use Castrol “BC” Euro 0w30 in my 146k Subaru EJ25 turbo. I’ve liked it, and so far nothing has blown up. But the stash is gone now. So what next? I won’t need to change for another 9 mo or so. But I’m much more concerned with what to use in a Ford EEK-O-Boost 😳 😱 3.5 fuel diluter. Yeah, tried to understand all the usual-suspect magic-bullets. Valvoline Prem Blue RESTORE worked well, tho VERY EXPENSIVE, and maybe also gone…at least from my stash.

So here we are.
you're in luck friend. HPL sells a No VII oil for that eekOboost you have there. you won't have to lose sleep if your turbos are shearing the oil down to water and the DI isn't dumping waterfalls of gasoline into your oil. also, HPL has an ester based Engine Cleaner so you won't have to find that unicorn Valvoline Restore. the base oils for the HPL oils are PAO/AN/Ester based.

when you open the group Oil Journy Anons please add me! 😎

If you have friends you don't like, refer them to the oil filter forum and Project Farm on youtube.
LoL ... lots of people have misconceptions about oil filters and oiling systems. At least the OF forum rectifies some of that.

Project Farm might create some misconceptions depending on what's being discussed, like "cold flow oil races".

LoL ... lots of people have misconceptions about oil filters and oiling systems. At least the OF forum rectifies some of that.

Project Farm might create some misconceptions depending on what's being discussed, like "cold flow oil races".
Its unreal how many people use PUP on facebook car groups because of project farm lol

Only a true Chad runs conventional oil with an orange Fram filter.
A1A068E6-A347-4560-90F9-32B0769C8598.jpeg

Back