My neighbor bought a new car.

I have a friend that had bought new yearly. He paid cash about 20 years ago then traded in for 500.00 and new car. Last I talked with him his new one they stepped up to higher model to get even. Never had a car note and drives around 20k a year.
Before things went crazy I would buy a different pickup every couple of years with a small difference in payment. Now-I'm staying pat seeing how my pickup truck that had an MSRP of $54,000.00 in 2018 is now $15,000.00 more for a new one.

I'm waiting to see what happens - if we have a recession and to see what Nissan does with the pricing on their pickup trucks the last two model years before they are discontinued.

I used to have a neighbor that would buy a new truck every year. They would only have about 6,000 miles on them when he traded them in and he always bought the same exact truck. A red, extended cab two wheel drive chevy. He was loaded and also paid cash for them.

He also had a 1993 single cab, long bed 4x4 chevy that he used to haul things in and for winter driving. He had that the entire time he lived there until he passed away. His wife kept the new red truck and sold the 93.

There are people who would replace their cars for a slightest inconvenience like check engine light, new battery or worn out brakes.

The gf of a longtime friend was given a 2-year-old 4 Runner by some wealthy friends about 4 years ago. Their reason for giving it away was that the original tires were worn out. When they came to visit me in that vehicle about two years later, I noticed that her tires were essentially completely bald. They had just driven about 500 miles to get here. She had made out spectacularly in an earlier divorce and could have easily afforded new tires. No point, just sayin'. For bonus oil content; I doubt that the 4 Runner has ever had an oil change.

My neighbor has had 14 cars in the 15 years I have lived next to him, some new outright purchases. Some leased, others were used. He has also had 8? motorcycles and about 6? boats.
His latest vehicle is a new honda ridgeline.
He got it after buying out a ram 1500 lease about a year early. He found that the buy out would net him $3000 because of the crazy car market. he sold to car max. He got the ridgeline for msrp.

Back