My neighbor bought a new car.

My grandfather would replace vehicles when the original set of tires were worn out and it needed a new set of tires. He was at the point in his life where his time was getting short... and he had the money to do it.

I'm not going to stop anyone from stimulating the used car market, regardess of the issue.

My grandfather would replace vehicles when the original set of tires were worn out and it needed a new set of tires. He was at the point in his life where his time was getting short... and he had the money to do it.

I'm not going to stop anyone from stimulating the used car market, regardess of the issue.
Same with my grandparents. They were poor for most of their life, now they are retired and in their 80s. They have money saved up and nothing to do with it, so lately they have been buying things they don't need.

My Wife is trading her New '21 Outback for a New '22 Crosstrek She put 26K miles on it and they are giving her only a $1000 under the discounted price she paid for it over a year ago.
The New Crosstrek is MSRP plus $495 "doc fee"
She will end up with about $4K lower amount financed.

We don't have a sales tax on car in New Hampshire - Just restaurant prepared meals ! :)

We do have a State Millage Tax on Vehicles that pays for the well kept roads. Equivalent to an Excise Tax I suppose.

- Ken

My Wife is trading her New '21 Outback for a New '22 Crosstrek She put 26K miles on it and they are giving her only a $1000 under the discounted price she paid for it over a year ago.

We don't have a sales tax on car in New Hampshire - Just restaurant prepared meals ! :)
Congratulations!!! 👏 🎉

We do have a State Millage Tax on Vehicles that pays for the well kept roads. Equivalent to an Excise Tax I suppose.
How does that work? How are the miles reported, etc.?

- Ken
Way back in my Navy Days, I was young and dumb. I was on a submarine docked at PNSY in Kittery, ME. Right across the line from NH. My wife and I thought we would beat the system and buy a car in NH. Yeah....that didn't work, still had to pay ME taxes as we lived in ME.....

:)

still had to pay ME taxes as we lived in ME.....
When I was young and dumb I worked for my friend's dad in his NJ Dodge dealership.
One day a customer from NY came in and wanted some adjustment on price. I forget the details but the request, posed obstinately and repetitively, was due to his expecting to dodge (get it?) the difference in sales tax between the two states.
This went on for a long time.
Finally I said to the mini-caucus on the shop floor, "Everybody stop being stupid. This cheapskate tried to save the 2 percent difference in tax by lying and he got caught. Cease this noise and throw him outa here". Needless to say, I had ZERO authority to issue such an order.

The crowd simply dissolved.

When I was young and dumb I worked for my friend's dad in his NJ Dodge dealership.
One day a customer from NY came in and wanted some adjustment on price. I forget the details but the request, posed obstinately and repetitively, was due to his expecting to dodge (get it?) the difference in sales tax between the two states.
Finally I said to the mini-caucus on the shop floor, "Everybody stop being stupid. This cheapskate tried to save the 2 percent difference in tax by lying and he got caught. Cease this noise and throw him outa here". Needless to say, I had ZERO authority to issue such an order.

The crown simply dissolved.
Yep. People try all kinds of stuff. I hope they did toss him out.

Translation-She got an incredible amount on her trade in for the 4Runner, and the RAV4 will save her some money on gas -and is MUCH MORE comfortable than the 4Runner.

And it's none of our business what she chooses to do with her money.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! 👏 🎉

How does that work? How are the miles reported, etc.?
Its actually Millage not mileage :)

From the interweb:

A millage rate is the rate at which property taxes are levied on property. A mill is 1/1000 of a dollar. Property taxes are computed by multiplying the taxable value of the property by the number of mills levied.

I do know the vehicle book value is dropped year over year so the tax is MUCH less on a 7 y.o car than a new one.

Years ago when I purchased an F-350 Turbo-Diesel I was forced to register it as a Commercial Vehicle due to the GVWR and I had to pay tax on road miles. I told the lady in the office it was personal use and the Town Clerk said, "No one properly uses a work truck for "personal use." We cant allow an exception, eveyone will be claiming that!" :) > :(

The crowd simply dissolved.
I wished this worked as well on the customer we had at the Staples I used to work at.
My sales manager was a hardass for dates on any offer. We wouldn't get reimbursed(think coupon) and he didn't care if you made a fuss. Well him and this guy went for a ride the one night, 45mins of yelling back & forth at the front register. The guy's wife was begging him in tears, kids were crying. It was a spectacle.

Finally our GM stepped in and being the push over he was, gave in. "The customer is always right" was all I heard out of his mouth. Later that week I was in a "discussion" with a customer about an E-machines PC purchase trying to talk him out of it because it was a cheap POS. He just thought I was trying to upsell him and get him into a more expensive HP. I knew the GM was hovering around me so I said " No sir, I informing you that this is not the PC you want. If you want to be wrong and waste your money on a cheaper product based on the criteria you gave me that is your choice." Guy left, flustered and all. GM comes to scold me and before he said anything. I said "He was wrong and so were you when you override the sales manager last week." Walked away...

My write up got voided out by the sales manager. The customer is wrong a lot of the time and needs to know it. Glad I am out of retail. :ROFLMAO:

Back