My Life with a Nurse:

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Me being a guy who works as a RN around ohh 90% women
.. it is interesting. What I do?? Stay quiet about negative words about anyone else about 99% of the time. They say all of it for me. The rare three times where I had negative words about a co worker... 2 out of 3 got fired justifiably. So it goes without saying that I was with everyone else about those two.

I never talk about inappropriate stuff at any dinner table. Never.

I have been to a get together at a restaurant with my fellow nurses. It was fun. But everyone was actually well behaved. It was a good time all in all.

Me being guy doing what I do.... Yes I have gotten asked if I liked girls or guys... One lab lady asked me and I laughed a bit. I had a guy patient ask me at the hospital... I laughed when he asked me too. He was cool though. And a good guy. I told him it was hard to behave myself a good amount of the time. We both laughed and had a good evening there. He told me so great stories from his time in the military.

Have I ever had a patient do anything inappropriate?? Ahh yeah. That's always interesting. Nothing super far out there really... But it was surprising. All I can say bout that. And yes... She was pretty. Older than me by 15 years.

Know the rules ... Aka women can say whatever they want to just about .. there are limits to what I can say as a man. This is obvious for obvious reasons.

Women can harass guys but definitely a no go the other way.. I have not really had this happen at my positions I have worked in.

Having said that... Yes I have had women co workers who have definitely "liked" me a lot. In school I had one who really, really liked me a lot. That feeling was mutual. But I was with someone already. And I behaved myself and I didn't go there in any way at all so to speak. Did I want to?? Ahh yeah. But there comes a time where you have to raise the bar and not act like a total idiot. At the hospital I had a couple worker who liked me as well. Again... Keep everything within proper boundaries and behave oneself is the best way forward. And a very pretty lady who was a PT liked me quite a but as well. Again... Stay between the guiding fence posts and life is much better for it.

Guess what I'm saying is... I have learned restraint, discipline and common sense. Not always easy though.

As far as women I work with and how they looked dresses for work. Let me say I have seen my share of very, very good looking women who still looked very good in what they were wearing. That's all that can said here
smile.gif

I don't talk about work stuff all that often with my lady. I do on occasion. But not often. I don't want to burden her with it..

I have learned that in long term care.... Those older people.... They will get to where they truly love you. And it's real. Guys... It's a heck of a thing when a lady is knowing she is getting close to leaving this world and she tells you that she loves you... That's a tremendous honor. And.... You love them too. Big, big, big stuff there. I have had that happen a number of times now...

In my job.. . I have thought to myself what is my purpose?? Why am I there?? Who do I need to be?? What do I have to do in order to raise the bar??

I feel without question that I am there to love those people like they were my own. Until they are ready to leave our world.

I feel that I have been made to be a better man by taking care of those people. Those people help me more than I truly know at times. Inspire of how messed up, flawed, and failed a man as I feel like I am... Those people I take care of help me be a better man. They help me realize my purpose for being there. They help me realize what truly matters in this world.. and what doesn't.

I fully realize that I am so fortunate and blessed to be there with them. I am one of the most fortunate guys around to do what I do.

It is those people and their family members who make my position there so great. And I tell them that routinely. Because it is so true.

bbhero, my friend. I've always said when I go into the hospital for my next cancer surgey I'm giving you a call and an airplane ticket. We've talked before and I think that nursing care is absolutely critical for a good outcome for any hospital stay. I got the feeling the last time there that the more magic machines and strange drugs, the emphaysis on good nursing some how gets sidetracked just a bit. All the magic in the world will never replace a good nurse.

I looked at my cancer treatments as a reversal of my work role. As an alarm tech, I ran into many customers whose attitude prevented me from doing the best job possible. Customers spending my time berating me about why the job was taking so long instead of leaving me alone to work unhindered. I wanted the people working on me to have the best day possible.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
All the magic in the world will never replace a good nurse.

Actually, that makes it the other way around.

The personal contact and connection IS the magic.

Great post Shannow... And that's why I am so fortunate to have met so many wonderful and great people in my positions I have held.

And OneEyejack I hope that you have been doing good. I look up to you for how to handle circumstances. You have been an inspiration to me in a very important way. I am always here for you my friend.

Me... Nope. I don't tell my lady anything about that stuff at all.

In fact... I stay completely out of it like 95% of the time. I just try to stay clear of it. If I say anything... It is typically to help try to work things out between two people. And I usually have decent success.

Last edited:
I have been married to a beautiful blonde Nurse for 48 years, and she gave me this article.
cool.gif

I married her because I found out she helped her dad and brothers rebuild engines.
lol.gif

Mrs. Molakule can come home with blood on her outfit and then get oil on it by helping me adjust hydraulic tappets.

Oh, and the part about trying to get sympathy when your klutz husband mangles a body part is totally true!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I have been married to a beautiful blonde Nurse for 48 years, and she gave me this article.
cool.gif

I married her because I found out she helped her dad and brothers rebuild engines.
lol.gif

Mrs. Molakule can come home with blood on her outfit and then get oil on it by helping me adjust hydraulic tappets.

Oh, and the part about trying to get sympathy when your klutz husband mangles a body part is totally true!
grin2.gif

Let me guess... you tried to change the oil filter trough the top?

I just read this laughing, because nursing is still thought of as a woman's only job (and still is, only about 10-15% of the nursing workforce is male).

As bbhero said, being a man in a woman's world keeps you on your toes. Women can be just as rude, crude and gross as men (even more so sometimes) and the petty gossip and drama is draining some days.
You really have to watch your back.

My wife knows nothing of what my day is like. When I worked on the ambulance as a paramedic, she would ask me every day I got home how my shift was. My answer was always the same, "nothing crazy". After about 3-4 years of this, she said she knew stuff happened and I just was not telling her, and she really wanted to know what I did in the previous 24 hours. So I said "you sure", she shook her head yes, so I told her. It had actually been a very bad shift (newborn code, shooting, MVA with 2 teenagers killed, plus the regular stuff).
She never asked me again.
Since I became a nurse, she asked me once if working in the ER and ICU was similar to EMS, I said no, it is worse. She never has asked about that again either.

As for the list:

The Nurse as Sex Kitten:

If your idea of a sex kitten is a 48 year old, overweight, balding, white male, well, sorry, I am married.

The Nurse as an Angel:

My kids no longer come to me if they are "hurt". My response is "is it bleeding or do you need me to cut it off" when they come to me. My son's friend fell while playing in the street and hurt his hand, I heard my son tell him "don't tell my dad, it is not bleeding and he will just want to cut it off". I hope the kid did not repeat that to his parents (he was OK, no bleeding or broken bones).
They will come to me if they are injured (big difference between hurt and injured).

The Nurses Mutual Benefit Network:

See below. My wife knows 3 nurses, our neighbor (that I know), a lady at our church that is also the school nurse (that I also know, and did used to work with) and another lady at church that I worked with in the ICU.

Your Social Life with Nurses:

I have no social life with any nurse. Work is work, personal is personal. As noted above, my wife has not met any other of my coworkers (and has never expressed any desire to)

Nurse: The Health Ramifications:

My kids do not have any more ailments that other kids, in fact, they probably have less (or at least miss less school for stupid stuff, no fever, no vomiting, you are going to school). My wife also does not have an increased amount of ailments either, and I can't think of the last time I was really sick.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I agree totally....
Also they always boast about what they earn but are always broke!

I don't know of any nurses that boast about what they earn.
It is not enough regardless. I could go on a long rant on this, but will not.

Me being a guy who works as a RN around ohh 90% women
.. it is interesting. What I do?? Stay quiet about negative words about anyone else about 99% of the time. They say all of it for me. The rare three times where I had negative words about a co worker... 2 out of 3 got fired justifiably. So it goes without saying that I was with everyone else about those two.

I never talk about inappropriate stuff at any dinner table. Never.

I have been to a get together at a restaurant with my fellow nurses. It was fun. But everyone was actually well behaved. It was a good time all in all.

Me being guy doing what I do.... Yes I have gotten asked if I liked girls or guys... One lab lady asked me and I laughed a bit. I had a guy patient ask me at the hospital... I laughed when he asked me too. He was cool though. And a good guy. I told him it was hard to behave myself a good amount of the time. We both laughed and had a good evening there. He told me so great stories from his time in the military.

Have I ever had a patient do anything inappropriate?? Ahh yeah. That's always interesting. Nothing super far out there really... But it was surprising. All I can say bout that. And yes... She was pretty. Older than me by 15 years.

Know the rules ... Aka women can say whatever they want to just about .. there are limits to what I can say as a man. This is obvious for obvious reasons.

Women can harass guys but definitely a no go the other way.. I have not really had this happen at my positions I have worked in.

Having said that... Yes I have had women co workers who have definitely "liked" me a lot. In school I had one who really, really liked me a lot. That feeling was mutual. But I was with someone already. And I behaved myself and I didn't go there in any way at all so to speak. Did I want to?? Ahh yeah. But there comes a time where you have to raise the bar and not act like a total idiot. At the hospital I had a couple worker who liked me as well. Again... Keep everything within proper boundaries and behave oneself is the best way forward. And a very pretty lady who was a PT liked me quite a but as well. Again... Stay between the guiding fence posts and life is much better for it.

Guess what I'm saying is... I have learned restraint, discipline and common sense. Not always easy though.

As far as women I work with and how they looked dresses for work. Let me say I have seen my share of very, very good looking women who still looked very good in what they were wearing. That's all that can said here
smile.gif

I don't talk about work stuff all that often with my lady. I do on occasion. But not often. I don't want to burden her with it..

I have learned that in long term care.... Those older people.... They will get to where they truly love you. And it's real. Guys... It's a heck of a thing when a lady is knowing she is getting close to leaving this world and she tells you that she loves you... That's a tremendous honor. And.... You love them too. Big, big, big stuff there. I have had that happen a number of times now...

In my job.. . I have thought to myself what is my purpose?? Why am I there?? Who do I need to be?? What do I have to do in order to raise the bar??

I feel without question that I am there to love those people like they were my own. Until they are ready to leave our world.

I feel that I have been made to be a better man by taking care of those people. Those people help me more than I truly know at times. Inspire of how messed up, flawed, and failed a man as I feel like I am... Those people I take care of help me be a better man. They help me realize my purpose for being there. They help me realize what truly matters in this world.. and what doesn't.

I fully realize that I am so fortunate and blessed to be there with them. I am one of the most fortunate guys around to do what I do.

It is those people and their family members who make my position there so great. And I tell them that routinely. Because it is so true.

Your a good RN. I've had you call in check in on me before when life was crappy. My mom still has a nurse call occasionally just to check in as she does her chemotherapy port flush and I think they really cling to the people even after they get sent home.

I just read this laughing, because nursing is still thought of as a woman's only job (and still is, only about 10-15% of the nursing workforce is male).

As bbhero said, being a man in a woman's world keeps you on your toes. Women can be just as rude, crude and gross as men (even more so sometimes) and the petty gossip and drama is draining some days.
You really have to watch your back.

My wife knows nothing of what my day is like. When I worked on the ambulance as a paramedic, she would ask me every day I got home how my shift was. My answer was always the same, "nothing crazy". After about 3-4 years of this, she said she knew stuff happened and I just was not telling her, and she really wanted to know what I did in the previous 24 hours. So I said "you sure", she shook her head yes, so I told her. It had actually been a very bad shift (newborn code, shooting, MVA with 2 teenagers killed, plus the regular stuff).
She never asked me again.
Since I became a nurse, she asked me once if working in the ER and ICU was similar to EMS, I said no, it is worse. She never has asked about that again either.

As for the list:

The Nurse as Sex Kitten:

If your idea of a sex kitten is a 48 year old, overweight, balding, white male, well, sorry, I am married.

The Nurse as an Angel:

My kids no longer come to me if they are "hurt". My response is "is it bleeding or do you need me to cut it off" when they come to me. My son's friend fell while playing in the street and hurt his hand, I heard my son tell him "don't tell my dad, it is not bleeding and he will just want to cut it off". I hope the kid did not repeat that to his parents (he was OK, no bleeding or broken bones).
They will come to me if they are injured (big difference between hurt and injured).

The Nurses Mutual Benefit Network:

See below. My wife knows 3 nurses, our neighbor (that I know), a lady at our church that is also the school nurse (that I also know, and did used to work with) and another lady at church that I worked with in the ICU.

Your Social Life with Nurses:

I have no social life with any nurse. Work is work, personal is personal. As noted above, my wife has not met any other of my coworkers (and has never expressed any desire to)

Nurse: The Health Ramifications:

My kids do not have any more ailments that other kids, in fact, they probably have less (or at least miss less school for stupid stuff, no fever, no vomiting, you are going to school). My wife also does not have an increased amount of ailments either, and I can't think of the last time I was really sick.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I agree totally....
Also they always boast about what they earn but are always broke!

I don't know of any nurses that boast about what they earn.
It is not enough regardless. I could go on a long rant on this, but will not.
Guess I'm an angel nurse aswell. Exactly the same thing I tell my daughter... hurt and injured is indeed different.

I'll just leave this here... the title is:
"Be Kind to Nurses...They keep Doctors From Accidentally Killing You"
...which really should e on a bumper sticker or something....

I'll just leave this here... the title is:
"Be Kind to Nurses...They keep Doctors From Accidentally Killing You"
...which really should e on a bumper sticker or something....

Totally true. If a nurse has paid attention in pharmacology class, she may have to correct the doctor's suggested medication regime. I can't tell you how many times my wife called the doctor and said, "Are you sure you want to give this med because this patient has a history of 'psuemonusthrombosis' or such and this medicine will cause him to want to jump off ledges" or somesuch. She has caught more medication errors than she can count.

The closer the medical person is to the patient the more he/she will pay attention to the patients needs.

She's really good in chemistry and took organic chemistry before I did and helped this dumb physicist get through chem classes. I never really appreciated chemistry per se until I decided to do physical chemistry.

I don't think people really appreciate nurses enough, whether male or female. They are indeed the critical and caring person between you and the doctor.

One thing about the medical stuff that I do not understand, the ability to walk or leave work wearing scrubs.

Those scrubs are pretty much a pool of bacteria in a perfect world they should shower and change cloths.

One thing about the medical stuff that I do not understand, the ability to walk or leave work wearing scrubs.

Those scrubs are pretty much a pool of bacteria in a perfect world they should shower and change cloths.
Most Nurses (RN's) I've known change into street cloths before leaving work. Usually the ones you see in Scrubs on the street are licensed practical nurses, medical assistants, veterinary assistants.

I have two good friends that are retired nurse practitioners, they have their masters and the wife has her PhD in nursing.

Funny story on these two is that they tell everyone that they met in jail. They were both divorced and working in a major Florida city jail at the time when they met.

You have a lot of bacteria on you and in you too... We all do. .

Many and I mean a majority of RNs I worked with... Wore the scrubs going home.... I did too. .

Bacteria.... We all have it on us... In our noses other places etc etc... Many people have MRSA in their noses.

Treating people with MRSA, VRE, ESBL cdiff.. etc etc .... Thus the of use PPE...

I never was awfully concerned with bacteria... I used PPE routinely like I needed to. Washed my hands a whole whole lot too.

Only time I got anywhere near concerned...

I had a 3 day IV steroid treatment for my illness and had hardly much of an immune system.... I was assigned not one but two patients on contact precautions... I was a little bit concerned then... And felt I really could not say anything... I didn't. I just did what I was assigned to do.

Thankfully the next day I worked... My co-workers had common sense and candidly weren't nasty like the others and I did not get the contact patients that evening.

Most Nurses (RN's) I've known change into street cloths before leaving work. Usually the ones you see in Scrubs on the street are licensed practical nurses, medical assistants, veterinary assistants....
You must not know a lot of nurses.
Out of the 60 nurses and that work in my ER, I only know of 1 that changes before going home.
We don't even have locker room or shower easily accessible to us.
I do know many nurses I work with do say they change before going into their house.

Most of the nurses I see walking out of the hospital are still in their scrubs still as well. The only exception is since COVID, the hospital will let staff working with infected patients have hospital scrubs to wear while on duty, so those nurses that choose to do that are wearing whatever when they leave.

I do not go out and about in scrubs though. I hate wearing them. I rarely go anywhere except straight home after work, and don't wear scrubs unless I am working.
You have a lot of bacteria on you and in you too... We all do. .

Many and I mean a majority of RNs I worked with... Wore the scrubs going home.... I did too. .

Bacteria.... We all have it on us... In our noses other places etc etc... Many people have MRSA in their noses.

Treating people with MRSA, VRE, ESBL cdiff.. etc etc .... Thus the of use PPE...

I never was awfully concerned with bacteria... I used PPE routinely like I needed to. Washed my hands a whole whole lot too.

As @bbhero said, I wear appropriate PPE when needed. I am sure I get exposed to stuff all the time and don't even know it.
I am not worried about it. I have been in the medical field over 25 years and been around all kinds of diseases and such, I know I am not invincible, but I take due diligence to stay clean and wash my hands and arms often, wear PPE as needed, and so far, has worked well for me and my family.

Back