My first Rock Auto order problem. -PICS-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their shipping is pricey but their pricing is low because stuff was never shipped from the manufacturer TO THEM. So they have the mfr drop ship stuff.

I've gotten cases of motor oil from amazon that sit in larger cardboard boxes; the smaller inside box has a UPS label from Warren to Amazon still attached. Horribly inefficient.

I suspect RA doesn't try to gouge the customer like some ebay vendors. They even have a tool where if you don't care what brand commodity you get (filters, plugs, etc) they'll decide to use the fewest, closest warehouses.

Will the part fit the other side? I looks like it was a return from someone who ordered the wrong part and found out when they tried to install it. Even so, new is new and that's what I would expect as well, but since you got another part, and RA seems to have made amends, if this one would fit the other side, why not replace them both? Looks to me the nylok nut is the only thing that has suffered in this issue. the shank of the part looks good.

Here's another pic I took but forgot to upload the first time. The part has some damage on the threads.
RA9-900_zpsf5373d47.jpg

I'll just chime in with my own experiences. I have had multiple orders over the years and have some problems. Most of them were taken off professionally and quickly by RockAuto.

1. In-cabin air filter missing a gasket and filter element was not in a sealed bag like it should have bee. Replaced promptly.
2. Sway bar links. ordered a pair. Both were in correct manufacturer boxes but one box's contents were of a different vehicle and from a different manufacturer. It was probably a return that a [censored] did cheat the system. Replaced promptly.
3. Ordered some brake shoes that were not listed as re-manufactured. so I assumed they were new. Received relined shoes. Received a replacement which was also relined. Refunded me $.

4. Brake bleeders. Aftermarket manufacturer lists a product as a direct replacement for my original caliper. Ordered and installed them. No it was 1mm too short and it would not seal. Contacted RockAuto but they refused to do anything as the parts have been previously installed. WTH, I chose the part based on their pull down menu for my specific make, model, year. I believe it was a listing error by the part manufacturer which they propagated and refused to correct.

I was out $ because of a mistake not fully on my part. But I guess I should have be more careful and measured with calipers before installation because the parts looked the same (1mm length difference) along 35mm length.

Otherwise, I am happy with RA and most of the parts they sell.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted

4. Brake bleeders. Aftermarket manufacturer lists a product as a direct replacement for my original caliper. Ordered and installed them. No it was 1mm too short and it would not seal. Contacted RockAuto but they refused to do anything as the parts have been previously installed. WTH, I chose the part based on their pull down menu for my specific make, model, year. I believe it was a listing error by the part manufacturer which they propagated and refused to correct.

I was out $ because of a mistake not fully on my part. But I guess I should have be more careful and measured with calipers before installation because the parts looked the same (1mm length difference) along 35mm length.

This is actually the most common complaint I've read about online. If they have an application error in their catalog they won't fix it. You'll be required to pay return shipping or they won't take it back, like in your case.

I always double-check part numbers on the manufactures website before ordering.

Originally Posted By: miraCRD
About the comments here about shipping, yes, you need to pick parts carefully to avoid the issue of too much shipping $$. Because they usually have so many choices with any particular part, it is not that difficult to "optimize" your shipping charges. But, yes...you absolutely need to pay attention and be careful. In my opinion, it is worth it.

so to make this easier they should have a warehouse ID next to the item so you don't have to add and delete from your cart. Very annoying.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

so to make this easier they should have a warehouse ID next to the item so you don't have to add and delete from your cart. Very annoying.

They actually do this already.

Put an item in your cart (in this example I selected a Beck/Arnley tie rod end). Then continue shopping. When another item will ship from the same location as the item in your cart a little picture of a truck will appear next to that item.

You'll see in this example all the parts in the pic will ship from the same warehouse as the part in the cart, except the Auto 7 brand tie rod at the bottom

RockAutocatalog_zps4dd2bff8.jpg

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Sawdusted

This is actually the most common complaint I've read about online. If they have an application error in their catalog they won't fix it. You'll be required to pay return shipping or they won't take it back, like in your case.

I always double-check part numbers on the manufactures website before ordering.

In my case, the manufacturer still has it listed incorrectly. The parts I ordered were correct per manufacturer but they do not fit. Manufacturers can also be wrong sometimes, especially aftermarket parts. T best policy I to measure everything with a caliper
wink.gif

Rock Auto's shipping pricing is ridiculous. Keeps me from ordering from them. Tried to get my brake pads from them, guess what, they were in different warehouses and the shipping doubled to $17-LOL

I just bought a car part off Amazon because shipping killed the deal at Rock Auto, even with the 5% off.

Recently replaced the radiator in my Mom's 2004 Elantra - went with an Auto 7 from RockAuto on closeout - figured OEM was worth $20 more than the local stores for offbrand.
Unfortunately it was misboxed / labeled and must have been for a different year or model. Mounting tabs were slightly different and a couple screws. Car was apart already and I could still get the fans to mount and all hoses lined up, so I hacked it a bit and put it in. No issues so far. I'm sure they would have honored a replacement, but it was a time and labor issue for me.
Kinda PO'd about it, but it was likely the supplier who mislabeled the part and RockAuto never saw/touched it. After I hacked it, I knew there was no turning back, also!

Made in Germany? Impossible! The "Pro Outsource" boys say that you need to make these parts in China so that people can afford to buy them
smirk.gif

New part received. Looks good.

SIDE NOTE - I have no use for the first part they sent me. Since some members here are convinced the old part is still good...

If anyone wants the old part, it's yours for FREE + shipping. It will cost about $6 to ship it, so that's what I'm asking. Paypal only.

According to the Beck/Arnley catalog this part will fit the following cars:
New Beetle 1998-2010
Jetta 1999-2005
Golf 1999-2006

This is a front left outer tie rod end.

Anyway, here's the new one.
RA10_zps0ad2fc16.jpg

RA11_zps6c651d78.jpg

I've noticed there's lots of catalog errors at Rock Auto, where they list parts that don't exist on a given vehicle. Most of those aren't going to hurt anybody, they're just clutter.

But I ran into a more serious one involving a thermostat, which I reported and they handled it well. I emailed RockAuto with an explanation and link to a page at the Stant web site. They responded within the day and agreed it was an error. The listing was fixed within maybe 1-2 weeks (I didn't notice exactly when). They were responsive to the issue so I'm happy about that.

This particular error wasn't really RockAuto's fault - the error originated with Stant, who had an error in their listings for about 10 years before somebody finally convinced them it was wrong. Most parts stores in the country listed it wrong because of this.
It was a sadistic error because the part physically fits, but in this application it allows coolant to leak into the overflow when the car is parked. This causes overheating problems, and the cause is subtle enough that many owners won't figure it out.

My guess is that when Stant updated their listings, RA didn't merge the update correctly into their database. They listed both the old (wrong) part number, and the new correct pn side by side. The wrong part was cheaper.

Did the first TRE come with that yellow protective cover? If not, that would be a dead giveaway that it was at least shipped to someone else and attempted to be installed. In my experience, they are all shipped with that protective bootie.

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
can you determine who the manufacturer of the tie rod end is?

I didn't realize there were still tie rod ends manufactured in Germany!

It's a Flenor TRE. Their parts for mostly sold in the Euro market, but RA carries many of their offerings here in the states.

Lemforder is another manufacturer still producing in Germany.

Rock Auto's shipping pricing is ridiculous. Keeps me from ordering from them. Tried to get my brake pads from them, guess what, they were in different warehouses and the shipping doubled to $17-LOL

Yesterday I needed to order a hydraulic hose for my slave cylinder. Not a very big hose in size or weight mind you. It was $16 on Rock Auto and $12 to ship for a total of $28. No way and went to eBay to look for the same Centric hose and found it for $18 plus free shipping.

One other time I needed a Pitman arm for my Dodge front end among other things. This Pitman arm was used from 1965-1973 on all Mopar C bodies. That is a lot of applications. Little did I know at the time that the part had been discontinued for a long time. Also little did I know that out of 72 applications Rock Auto still had it listed for one and it was mine of course. Ordered it and they sent a B body arm. Was credited but it is still listed today despite telling them.

Originally Posted By: tbm3fan

Yesterday I needed to order a hydraulic hose for my slave cylinder. Not a very big hose in size or weight mind you. It was $16 on Rock Auto and $12 to ship for a total of $28. No way and went to eBay to look for the same Centric hose and found it for $18 plus free shipping.

No one is saying Rock Auto will be cheapest on every item. Smart shoppers always compares prices. I always compare part prices between ebay, Rock Auto, Amazon and Advance Auto. Those are the four that always have the best prices for me, and those are the places from where I end up ordering most of my auto parts. There are a couple other places I check and occasionally order from, buy most of my parts come from these four places.

People like to claim examples where Rock Auto isn't the cheapest, but here are my four most recent Rock Auto order:

-Raybestos shock mounts: $34 shipped on Rock Auto, $44 on Amazon before tax, not available on ebay or Advance. Advance had Monroe mounts, but they're $44 after discount code. Those same Monroe mounts are $52 shipped on ebay.

-Raybestos front strut mounts and a tie rod (Beck Arnley brand): $67 shipped on Rock Auto (tax free), $74 shipped before tax ($81 after tax) from Amazon, $80 shipped on ebay, $75 at advance after discount.

-Auto 7 brand control arm bushings and two Auto 7 oil filters: $78 shipped on Rock Auto, $108 before tax on Amazon, $195 from ebay seller autopartsdirect2you. $102 after discount code from Advance Auto.

-Beck/Arnley brake pads: $45 shipped from Rock Auto, Amazon $48.17 after tax, $51.50 after tax and discount from Advance, $56 shipped on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back