My Favorite Car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Sport Coupe, Not all '57 sport coupes, This one in particular. I have been maintaining/modifying this car since 1999, Probably one of the best unrestored street driven examples as it has Never been wreaked, Still wears it's original Black Lacquer paint, Glass, Bumpers & Stainless Trim.
The only things that have been changed body & interior wise are....Front seat cover, Carpet, Steering Column, Steering Wheel, Inner Front Wheel Wells (The originals were hacked up for "fender well headers" in the 60's, And the gold Grille Insert & Cross Bar from a semi tire carcass at 80 MPH.
It does have a 6-point Roll Cage, Though it could have just a Roll Bar at the present ET.

Originally it had a Dual 4-Barrel 283 with a Close Ratio 3-Speed & a 3.31:1 8.2" differential, But that drivetrain is long gone, The current owner bought it used in 1957 with less than 5,000 miles & started drag racing it right away. The car has had 28 different Engines over the last 59 years, Over 16 different Transmissions, & 3 Rear Differentials.

Current specs.....

2011 Camaro LS3, Stock CNC Ported Heads, Brian Tooley Valve Springs with Titanium Retainers, Brian Tooley stage IV Camshaft (233/250 .619"/.595" 113), Comp hardened push rods, Comp Rocker Trunnion Upgrade Kit, LS7 Lifters, 0W-40 Mobil 1, & a GMT-800 Truck 6-quart oil pan.
Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump & Regulator, 43#/hr Injectors, & a 12 gallon Fuel Cell in the truck.
1 3/4" Stainless Works long tube headers & 2 1/2 Pypes stainless exhaust system, I realize it needs 1 7/8" primary tube headers, But they are left over from the previous Cammed 5.7L LS1 engine.

AFCO 3 core aluminum radiator with a Spal cooling fan, Running 50/50 Dexcool antifreeze.....LOL!

1969 Chevelle 12-Bolt, Narrowed with Ford 9" Housing ends & Bearings, Moser 33 Spline Axles & Eaton Posi, Yukon 3.73:1 gears, Billet Steel Left Main Cap, Moser Aluminum "Girdle" Cover, Billet 1350 Yoke & Spicer "Solid" 1350 U-Jionts.

10" GM Disc brakes up front, 11" GM Drum Brakes on the rear, Line-Lock, Adjustable Proportioning Valve, Boosted by a Chevy Truck Hydroboost.

Bilstein HD Shocks up front, QA1 Adjustables in the rear, Cal-Tracs slide a link rear suspension, Stock front suspension with a sway bar. Aftermarket Power Rack & Pinion. 295/60/15 Micky Thompson ET Street Drag Radials.

The 4L60E I built 8 years ago finally gave up last week after 600+ 1/8th mile passes & 30,000 hard street miles, Upon tear down....It's flat worn out! The pump lost it's Volume/Pressure & toasted the 3-4 Clutches. I warned the customer about running a 4L60E behind a LS3....But it lasted 5 years.
Plans are for a TVS-2300 Blower.... So the decision was made to swap in a 4L80E.

1999 4L80E out of a 2500 Chevy Truck.
Billet Forward "Rollerized" Hub.
Rollerized Output Shaft, Using a TH350 Pump Torrington Bearing to replace the factory thrust washer.
Internally Dual Feed Direct Clutches, 200% more clamping force.
CK Performance Spirolock Intermediate Snap Ring, Prevents Snap Ring/Case Lug blow-out.
TH400 Aluminum Direct Clutch Piston, Twice the "Work Surface" compared to a Stamped Steel 4L80E piece.
CK Performance "High Rate" Direct Clutch Return Springs, Reduces centrifugal apply of the Directs in 1st & 2nd gear at high RPM.
Blueprinted Clearances, .008" rear, .010" front, .010" Reaction Carrier, .012" Direct Drum.
Sonnax Large Ratio Boost Valve with a Trans-Go PR Spring, Makes 220 PSI a WOT. Sonnax O-Ringed PR Bore Plug.
Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve & Spring.
Sonnax "Lube to Line" Pressure Regulator Valve. Corrects lubrication issues in "High Demand" situations. The Factory set-up is bias/favors Line Pressure over lubrication.
Stock Borg Warner High Energy Frictions in Forwards, Directs, Intermediates, Low/Reverse, Stock Cellulose OD/4th & Overrun, Yes I said STOCK frictions!
New Borg Warner 34 Element Intermediate Sprag & Low/Reverse Roller Clutch.
1995 Overdrive Carrier, Roller Clutch, & Overrun Hub, Stronger than the 1997 & up version.
Trans-Go Actuator Feed Limit Repair kit.
Blocked 3rd & 4th Accumulators, Active 2nd Accumulator
2 14,000 BTU stacked plate coolers, 1 in front of the radiator & the other under the car with a dedicated cooling fan.
Castrol TranSynd TES-295/Dexron 3 synthetic ATF.

Here are the pictures, The hose coming from under the car is the whip for my Pressure Gauge.

Neat, thanks for sharing!

The only thing I don't like is the steering wheel. The rest is absolutely awesome. Put an original steering wheel on it and it will be perfect IMO.

Cannot believe that 4L60E lifespan under those conditions! Shows you as one fine trans builder, man. I'm sure the new 4L80E will be both more durable and probably a bit quicker shift execution.

Did I miss the TC stall? Please tell us...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The only thing I don't like is the steering wheel. The rest is absolutely awesome. Put an original steering wheel on it and it will be perfect IMO.

Oddly, I like it better than the stocker.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Do you know how big a factory steering wheel is? About the size of a school bus steering wheel, Not that I like Grant Steering wheels & I understand what your saying! There are smaller aftermarket versions of the original, But they are not cheap. The customer doesn't spend money frivolously on this car, If it doesn't maintain it/make it safer or make it go faster....It doesn't happen.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Cannot believe that 4L60E lifespan under those conditions! Shows you as one fine trans builder, man. I'm sure the new 4L80E will be both more durable and probably a bit quicker shift execution.

Did I miss the TC stall? Please tell us...

Yeah, I forgot to add that, It's a 4400 RPM Stall Twin Disc with a Billet Cover & Piston.

I can't take all the credit for the 4L60E holding up, The owner actually listens & doesn't/didn't torture the 3-4 Clutches by avoiding WOT 3-2 & 4-2 downshifts, Along with NO hot lapping, Allowing the 3-4 clutch too cool between rounds.

The Compu-Shift standalone trans controller also helps, Adjustable pressure per commanded gear, Per TPS input. I set the 3rd gear pressure to have full line pressure by 1/2 throttle with a aggressive ramp from 0%-49% TPS.

So, clinebarger...how would you build an OD trans to hold up to a 600lb/ft engine in a 4600+lb car with 2.73 gears? (See sig.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
So, clinebarger...how would you build an OD trans to hold up to a 600lb/ft engine in a 4600+lb car with 2.73 gears? (See sig.)

I'm assuming this is a 500 Cadillac based engine?

I would build a 4L80E similar to the one in this '57, But tailor the Shift Feel/Firmness to your personal preferences, And add a E4340 Billet Steel Input Shaft IF you drag race with sticky tires.

I do not use those cheesy BOP to Chevy adapters, There are Machined Pump Bodies & Adapters Rings available to run a BOP REID Bellhousing that is made for their proprietary TH400/Powerglide Cases.

Adapter Package, CK Performance

Bellhousing, REID Racing INC.

Then you need a Controller...

Compu-Shift, This is one of the best controllers on the market. Compu Shift 2

Fast/TCI controller, The most budget friendly, Not near the features of the Compu Shift. TCI/Fast Controller

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I'm assuming this is a 500 Cadillac based engine?

Yes: offset-ground 500 crank in a 472 block.

Quote:
I would build a 4L80E similar to the one in this '57, But tailor the Shift Feel/Firmness to your personal preferences, And add a E4340 Billet Steel Input Shaft IF you drag race with sticky tires.

I have run drag radials...never run slicks, because I would fully expect the rear end to grenade if it hooked.

Quote:
I do not use those cheesy BOP to Chevy adapters, There are Machined Pump Bodies & Adapters Rings available to run a BOP REID Bellhousing that is made for their proprietary TH400/Powerglide Cases.

Do I even want to know what that costs?

Quote:
Adapter Package, CK Performance

Bellhousing, REID Racing INC.

Then you need a Controller...

Compu-Shift, This is one of the best controllers on the market. Compu Shift 2

Fast/TCI controller, The most budget friendly, Not near the features of the Compu Shift. TCI/Fast Controller

I probably don't want to know what THAT costs, either, do I?

I ran a built TH400 (actually, the Cadillac long-shaft case with TH475 guts) for a long time...for the last ~50,000 miles, I have run a built TH-200-4R. It's basically a lower-stall version of what a serious Grand National would run...tool steel input shaft, HD intermediate drum, a bunch of extra clutches (I think Kevlar), super-HD pump, and a HD lockup converter. (Also a deep pan and a gigantic cooler pirated from an old garbage truck.)

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
very cool, probably a handful.

On a prepped track surface....Straight as a string, 1.43 second 60ft times.
On the Street...Get ready too correct, Cause it will get crossed-up quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back