My engine hates Lubro-Moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It had a TR224 cam in it when I got the powertrain from Contemporary Corvette, and I ran that from 2004-2011 without issue until the valve float problem during Fall 2010 auto-x. The hardened metal from the damaged #1 and #8 intake valve tips washed onto the cam, grooving lobes under them.

I went with a GM LS6 cam for the replacement, pair of LS6 heads with factory hollow valves, and Morel link-bar lifters for the top-end rebuild this Spring.

I miss the TR224's modestly lumpy idle, but the LS6 cam seems to have more low-end grunt so it's been a good tradeoff.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
LS6 intake manifold, or one of the F.A.S.T. oversize deals??

LS6 intake that came on it from the factory. Lack of engine power is not my biggest problem.
smile.gif

Update: I ran GTX 5W-30 for ~200 miles to flush it, drained it hot and refilled with Red Line 5W-30 street oil. Wix filter replaced w/ another Wix filter as usual. Noise is quite gone now.

No doubt Lubro-Moly is good stuff, but my lifters don't like it.

This makes me wonder how MoS2 would affect VTEC in my engine, since some oil is forced through the small passages for the secondary lobe on the cams to engages for VTEC to kick in?

I'd imagine not, since the oil pressure has to be high to engage VTEC and I doubt any fine particles have the chance to 'settle' there. Still makes one like myself contemplate after this experience.

For whatever it's worth, I've had Lubromoly in my '95 Accord EX for the past 1000 miles and it's been great. The engine runs quieter than it has in a very long time, and while I virtually never rev high enough to engage VTEC, the few times I have it's behaved perfectly normally. Lurbromoly gets a big thumbs up from me.

I put moly into my 99 chev with a 5.3 and by the 3rd tank I was getting an extra 100 kms per tank. I am sorry your results weren't satisfying however I think it's great stuff.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I put moly into my 99 chev with a 5.3 and by the 3rd tank I was getting an extra 100 kms per tank. I am sorry your results weren't satisfying however I think it's great stuff.

I'm thinking the aftermarket lifters I installed just don't like the extra moly, they're known for getting noisy when run with oil thicker than basic 5W-30.

My Tundra 4.7L loves the stuff, smooth and quiet.

I just can't get myself to pour a solid into my engine...

As far as engine weirdness and noises go, you will likely find that a vehicle likes one blend of oil more than another. The other strange thing is, Conventionals many times make motors quieter than synthetics..

I actually run WPP made generic oil in all my cars.. they do well. I rarely run with additives, just an ocasional cleaning agent before drain.

^It really depends on how one tries to achieve a quieter engine, I'd say.

As the discussion regarding 'too frequent' oil changes brought out, it appears that upon change of the oil(even sticking with the same brand/grade) there seems to be an initial(varying) degree in which more wear seems to happen as the new package of anti-wear additives, for one, try to gain surface affinity etc.

This also explains why it takes MoS2 sometimes 500+ miles before some folks get a noticeable change in engine idle, smoothness etc.

As said, some 'blends' react better for one app or another. It's true. Some formulations, staying within the same grade of oil for any app that is, seems to have anecdotal differences at least. This isn't to say feel alone makes one oil better than another, or additive for that matter. Still, if one(an additive for instance) were to do harm you'd have excessive wear appear(why some folks get UOA to see how an additive may/may not change the trending they got with their UOA previously), perhaps shearing(MMO etc), and the conversation goes on.

I remember my initial fill of Amsoil started performing better and better into the interval, particularly after I had reached 3,000 miles or so. The MoS2 is the cheap drug to get the results faster into a new OCI.
19.gif

...kidding. Of course I like the price of MoS2 currently. Hope it stays there, good and cheap.
grin2.gif

Hello, btw this is post #1. I've been lurking for too long on here now. Very good information on this forum.

Well check my signature for what I've done. This is a fresh oil change, only currently about 500 miles on it. Everything seems ok with my engine. Like everything on here this is an experiment too. First time trying 5w50 due to oil consumption. VTEC engages fine. Too early to really say anything specific about MOS2 since I just added it recently and haven't gotten 100 miles on it yet.

With all the talk about quieting the engine by adding MOS2 I was very interest in that part. So I've recorded a clip with my audio production mic for a comparison before dumping the MOS2 in my engine already warmed up. So after the MOS2 cycles for a few hundred miles I'll make another recording in the engine bay to see if there is really any difference. So when I'm done with my test, I'll make a new thread with my results. Thanks for everyone's input on here.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^
welcome2.gif
and look forward to your contribution.

Thanks
smile.gif
trying to get the hang of operating posts. Yeah, so I've attempted a lot of things on my vehicle within reason from reading other users trials on here. It's a risk, but I feel a lot of over thought ends up happening before deciding to just do it. So that is what I did with my latest test, I didn't hesitate as much this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back