My Biggest Driving Pet Peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is for comments/agreement/disagreement with my dual pet peeves (both are related). Please do not enter your laundry list - I'll bet mine is longer!

1. People who accelerate very slowly after stopping. There are so many traffic signals around
here these days. I am so tired of taking a half mile to get back to 40 mph and missing green
lights because people can't make use of those extra horses that they had to have.

1a. People who change lanes, sometimes abruptly, to be first at a red light and then accelerate
as slowly, or MORE slowly, that the two idiots next to them.

That is all.

Maybe they have transmission problems and simply trying too baby it.

My biggest one is people who don't use cruise control.

I drive 45 miles one way to work each day. I do 75 the whole time and I'm constantly getting behind people who slow down to 65. When I try and pass them them they decide to speed up. So I fall back in line.

Then they start slowing down again.

I don't have road rage but if one thing was to annoy me it would have to be people who don't keep a constant speed.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Maybe they have transmission problems and simply trying too baby it.

Must be a whole lot of brand new cars here with transmission problems, then.

I am with 3800Series.

My commute has 3 long grades ranging 3 to 5%.

It's a gamble on which lane to choose going up those grades. People can't keep a constant speed to save their life.

I was hoping to just keep this to comments on the pet peeves I posted. I guess I must be one of the few who would like to get to my destination sans dilly-dallying.

I agree! Sometimes though, if it's constant stop and go, even a light every half mile, I don't accelerate quickly. It's a waste IMO.

So...the person driving slower than you is tiring and obviously less of a 'driver' and..."that the two idiots next to them."

Sounds like everyone surrounding you are "idiots". Hmmmm

Go around if you don't like it. It's not the Indy 500 at every light.

Agree DBM, That's one of mine, too.

They don't know that instead of using 1/3 - 1/2 throttle acceleration, they would get BETTER fuel mileage when you get up to a steady ~45mpg cruise rate "briskly" they back out of the the e-throttle to read 50MPG at this 45mph (in OD) steady.
The more time you spend "babying" the car to 45mph the more time you are consuming worse than 15mpg, even in a sub 2 litre engine car.

Alternatively, they are trying not to spill their overpriced coffee whilst facbooking
smile.gif

Now that I'm taking the highway for a short jaunt ( I93 S exit 3 to 2) how 'bout entering the highway going faster than 35MPH you dingbats!

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I agree! Sometimes though, if it's constant stop and go, even a light every half mile, I don't accelerate quickly. It's a waste IMO.

Unrelated:
If I'm first at a light and there's no one coming - I'm gone baby. I don't like sheeple ho just sit there with the crickets chirping for miles each way - afraid of the red light. This is 'Merica, dude!

I used to hate people who didn't use cruise. Then I started driving fast enough to generally pass most people. No issue suddenly. With the purchase of my Tundra I found that cruise in it is broken--nothing like a double downshift followed by hunting to make me consider it "broken". With a big V8 I simply won't tolerate it downshifting w/o a need.

I just don't use cruise very often anymore, too much traffic. Easier to use my foot. On deserted highways tho it's nice, but usually there is just enough traffic to preclude that--although I guess if I set it for 5 under I'd probably be fine (but see above complaint).

I guess when adaptive cruise becomes federally mandated then I can use it (and then pay even less attention while driving).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: lawman1909

Unrelated:
If I'm first at a light and there's no one coming - I'm gone baby. I don't like sheeple ho just sit there with the crickets chirping for miles each way - afraid of the red light. This is 'Merica, dude!

I wish the lights gave a heads-up as to when it's about to turn green. If I'm first in line I usually try to angle myself so I can see the other directions lights. When it goes yellow I'll shift out of neutral and get ready to go (stickshift that is). But some lights are too directional to allow that.

Get over it.

There are all sorts of variables in traffic. Some drivers are going to go slower, and some are going to try to go faster. Not everyone is going to drive in the same manner as you. You can get yourself lathered up over it, or you can act like an adult and deal with it.

If you need something to get your panties in a twist about, find something more important than something that you have no control over and can never change.

1. Riding in the left hand lane holding up traffic and creating seriously problems. By far the worst.

2. People that can't maintain speed.

3. People that drive too slow.

4. Old people that buy expensive BMW's but drive them 45mph on the turnpike. Clearly a status symbol.

5. Minivans and people that drive SUV's but can't park them because they are not good drivers or it's just too big.

So, then why does someone go out of their way to be first at the light and then poke? If I could go around, I would, but they go at the same slow pace in all three lanes.

I am just as bad a driver as anyone else out there, just in different ways. This is why the days of individually driven vehicles, though we are stuck with them, are not going to remain practical in the not-too-distant future.

By far my worst peeve is [censored] Maryland and PA drivers that stay in the left (fast) lane!!! I swear they must teach them in drivers ed to stay in the left lane!! Doesn't matter if they are going fast, slow whatever and they don't move!

2nd peeve is the idiots that speed up when I go to pass them!

I rarely use cruise control. There's just too much traffic to fiddle with it. So I'm not used to using it. I'll sometimes not maintain a steady speed in hilly areas during long distance driving. As long as I drive on the right and pass on the left there should be no problem.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
This thread is for comments/agreement/disagreement with my dual pet peeves (both are related). Please do not enter your laundry list - I'll bet mine is longer!

1. People who accelerate very slowly after stopping. There are so many traffic signals around
here these days. I am so tired of taking a half mile to get back to 40 mph and missing green
lights because people can't make use of those extra horses that they had to have.

1a. People who change lanes, sometimes abruptly, to be first at a red light and then accelerate
as slowly, or MORE slowly, that the two idiots next to them.

That is all.

perhaps they know that they'd have to speed in order to get past the next light?

My two biggest peeves:

#1 Cutting across 3 lanes of traffic to hit your exit instead of turning around at the next ono a mile away.

#2 Lack of lane discipline while driving like a fly on speed (fast..then slow..then fast.etc).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back