My Biggest Driving Pet Peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the line? Everyone faster than you is a maniac, and everyone slower is an idiot?

Some of mine:

1) Merging onto the interstate. The traffic flow is going 70 and you want to merge at 35MPH, huh? I don't want to get rear ended by a semi because you are too stupid to accelerate. Every car made in the past 20 years can easily get up to 70mph very comfortably.

2) Your car breaks down and you coast to a stop at 3AM in the middle of the interstate and don't even try to get out of the traffic lane and over to the shoulder. Idiot just did that here and it cost them their life. They were hit by a tractor trailer and killed instantly.

3) Had a bunch of motor cycles blast by me, then run 8 across the road, slow way down to 20 mph to make a drag strip. Got stuck behind these clowns for 20 miles doing 20 mph so they could zoom up and down the highway at 100mph. Wanted to run them off the road with my truck and finish off the survivors with my AR-15. Boy was I angry.

You guys might like this.
My daughter pulled up to a red light the other day. She was in the left of two lanes but there was still a lane to her left for someone to turn left from. She looked over at the driver in the lane to her left to find a woman who was head down and texting. She wanted to give her a little poop and tell her not to text and drive so she tapped the horn.

The driver unaware of her surroundings thought that someone was behind her and honking because she wasn't going, so she immediately hit the gas. She rolled about 10 ft. almost hitting passing traffic before stopping hard.

Could have been a lot of fun.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
This thread is for comments/agreement/disagreement with my dual pet peeves (both are related). Please do not enter your laundry list - I'll bet mine is longer!

1. People who accelerate very slowly after stopping. There are so many traffic signals around
here these days. I am so tired of taking a half mile to get back to 40 mph and missing green
lights because people can't make use of those extra horses that they had to have.

1a. People who change lanes, sometimes abruptly, to be first at a red light and then accelerate
as slowly, or MORE slowly, that the two idiots next to them.

Good peeves (as long as going faster gets you to the next light on green). We've got places to go & sh*t to do, man!

This thread is for comments/agreement/disagreement with my dual pet peeves (both are related). Please do not enter your laundry list - I'll bet mine is longer!

1. People who accelerate very slowly after stopping. There are so many traffic signals around
here these days. I am so tired of taking a half mile to get back to 40 mph and missing green
lights because people can't make use of those extra horses that they had to have.

1a. People who change lanes, sometimes abruptly, to be first at a red light and then accelerate

That is all.

Hurry up... and wait...!

Exactly how quickly should I accelerate when YOU are behind me... I don't want to be labelled an idiot...?!?!

But when I see you twitching out... I go even SLOWER...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I agree! Sometimes though, if it's constant stop and go, even a light every half mile, I don't accelerate quickly. It's a waste IMO.

Unrelated:
If I'm first at a light and there's no one coming - I'm gone baby. I don't like sheeple ho just sit there with the crickets chirping for miles each way - afraid of the red light. This is 'Merica, dude!

I do this, particularly with red left turn arrows adjacent to a "general green". I stop, look for traffic, look for cops, and go for it. I call it "walking a light"-- running being not stopping.

Saves gas, gets me there many seconds earlier, what's not to love?

Those riding with me sometimes shriek like I've just run someone off the road. I get back at them by killing the headlights randomly on dark country roads and shrieking myself.
wink.gif

My pet peeve are red light runners, and here's two of you who freely admit to doing it in this thread.

I ride a motorcycle.
I can't count the number of times I've nearly been killed by someone who treats a red light as a stop sign while I was on my motorcycle, because these are the same people who never seem to see motorcycles.

They also don't seem to see the red light, either.

Nor the section of the rules and regulations you agreed to when you first got your drivers license where you are required by law to stay at a red light until it turns green.

And the best part is that the two of you are proud of running red lights.

You're going to kill someone.

BC.

When on a single lane road someone is stopped waiting to turn left, but they straddle the shoulder with their car so you can't pass them. I go at it anyway, giving their mirror about three inches.

Had a dude coming at me at a 4-way stop. Old guy, should know better. He thought flashing his high beams meant "look out, here I come". It's actually a universal code for "it's okay to pull in front". I wonder about the feedback loop in his mind where next time he thinks he needs to flash his lights EVEN MORE!!!

Originally Posted By: geeman789

That is all.

Hurry up... and wait...!

Exactly how quickly should I accelerate when YOU are behind me... I don't want to be labelled an idiot...?!?!

But when I see you twitching out... I go even SLOWER...

That makes you just as bad. Let him twitch, but slowing down makes it worse. Seems I learned two wrongs don't make a right years ago.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I agree! Sometimes though, if it's constant stop and go, even a light every half mile, I don't accelerate quickly. It's a waste IMO.

Unrelated:
If I'm first at a light and there's no one coming - I'm gone baby. I don't like sheeple ho just sit there with the crickets chirping for miles each way - afraid of the red light. This is 'Merica, dude!

I do this, particularly with red left turn arrows adjacent to a "general green". I stop, look for traffic, look for cops, and go for it. I call it "walking a light"-- running being not stopping.

Saves gas, gets me there many seconds earlier, what's not to love?

Those riding with me sometimes shriek like I've just run someone off the road. I get back at them by killing the headlights randomly on dark country roads and shrieking myself.
wink.gif

My pet peeve are red light runners, and here's two of you who freely admit to doing it in this thread.

I ride a motorcycle.
I can't count the number of times I've nearly been killed by someone who treats a red light as a stop sign while I was on my motorcycle, because these are the same people who never seem to see motorcycles.

Nor the section of the rules and regulations you agreed to when you first got your drivers license where you are required by law to stay at a red light until it turns green.

BC.

+1!

What morons!

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

1) Merging onto the interstate. The traffic flow is going 70 and you want to merge at 35MPH, huh? I don't want to get rear ended by a semi because you are too stupid to accelerate. Every car made in the past 20 years can easily get up to 70mph very comfortably.

Agreed. I've gotten into the habit of hanging very far behind from a very slow merging mob. Once they've made it far up the merge lane, I accelerate briskly (using all that extra space I left) and merge properly/safely.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Stay right except to pass...

Nobody understands that concept.

I do that but most people don't. In this state all the signs say "slower traffic keep right" which apparently doesn't translate to the same thing as 'stay right except to pass".

Actually I concede there are times when it is better to stay left so you don't get stuck behind a logging truck up a grade, even though it might be screaming downhill it will sure enough slow down going back up.

I think many of the traffic problems we have are due to speed management. Cars and trucks with radically different drive trains, speedometers that are easily +-4-5 MPH off.

We have to drive along with the lowest common denominators of driving skills and vehicles. It's the American way, everybody can drive, and sit in the car listening to music, texting, Knitting, whatever. One of the most dangerous activities most of us will ever face, and we do it on a daily basis.

My pet peeve is tailgating. People think I should hurry up and get back to speed? I don't get it..

The second point, I agree with. As said above, stay right except to pass.

I ride a motorcycle.

BC.

It's funny how people violate the speed law almost universally but worship others so literally.

An intersection has a signal for who can go, and who can stop, and when they can proceed. It could have a stop sign one day then a light the next. The stopper is responsible for making sure the intersection and approach is clear. Given adequate sight lines, why shouldn't a stopped vehicle go?

In the 1970s we invented "turn right on red" (after stopping) to save gas. Whatever actuary approved that rule change figures the fuel saved outweighs whatever accidents happen... or that a driver can be trusted to check one lane of cross traffic.

Besides, if someone stopping then sneaking through a red light does it right, with the right amount of paranoia and resultant visual double-checking, noone will have seen them to take offense. I'd still trust a driver doing this over someone distracted by their mobile device.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I honestly don't agree with you because I don't have that issue...at least I don't perceive it that way in my area.

I think it might be that you like to speed or accelerate between lights quickly. Now THAT I DO find annoying....especially when I am driving normally and some highly impatient driver behind me rides my bumper between the lights. They often constantly change lanes to get ahead of a car or two....all to no avail as they rarely get anywhere faster than I do.

Why the hurry anyway? What difference does a minute or two make to arrive at your destination? That's all it ever adds up to anyway is a minute or two. Why stress or get frustrated about it? I know that when I leave a stoplight, I rarely accelerate quickly as I know I am just wasting gas and the next light is most likely going to get me anyway. I just try to relax and baby the car and my temper...especially if a person in a hurry is behind me acting foolishly.

Just my opinion.

I find that in most similar discussions, rarely will you ever see any of people who are complaining about slow drivers constantly being in their way, or slow drivers camping in the left lane complaining about people who constantly speed, or tailgate, or drive like a maniac trying to get in front of every other driver on the road...my guess is it's because they are these type of drivers...the ones who think they have to reach their destination in record time every time they drive...to them, speeding, tailgating, and just overall aggressive driving is acceptable...

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Stay right except to pass...

Nobody understands that concept.

Here in Il drivers apparently think the far left lane is a cruising lane to drive in AT ANY SPEED...these idiots will not move right for any reason! They can have 10-15 cars lined up behind them and they still won't move...

Last edited:

BC.
Who said anything about running red lights? Ive been driving since there was just 1 stop sign in town, now there are 7 lights in 3 miles. Stop. Look once, look twice, clear view 1/8th mile- LEAVE.
Who are the idiots who put a light at every intersection up in the sticks where i live? One accident on the highway - up goes a light the next year. Hey - 30,000 deaths a year- Come to terms with it.
Go be a sheeple and sit there. The Govnt just removed you brain and now they got you right where they want you sheeple!

I've noticed around Austin that if I don't drive faster, I'll get repeatedly nailed by red lights and I agree with you about "moving out and on" to get away from the slow packs of cars. I was recently in DFW and marveled at how well traffic flowed compared to Austin. Wow...true freeways. With more than a few lanes. Who'd of thunk? Not Austin powers-that-be.

Whenever I'm first at a red light in heavy traffic, I accelerate faster than usual to move out. Others will also do this, but it's also interesting to watch the herd-mentality in the rear view mirror clog up the roadway.

Then there's the clueless woman in the left lane, with a phone stuck to her ear and widly waving her other arm in the air, doing 45mph with a tail of traffic behind her, oblivious to huge jam she's causing on Mopac or 360 or 183 or.........

somebody mentioned people passing on the right as their pet peeve. may I ask them the question as to why do people pass them on the right?

Last edited:
Passing thru the far right lane on a multi-lane highway can mess up people getting on or off the highway, but I believe most state codes specifically allow passing on the right in the case of someone blocking the lane making a left turn, as long as it is safe.

On a rural road, two lane blacktop, etc.

A lot of times the middle and left lanes are blocked so people resort to using the far right lane and while I can sympathize at times it can cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back