Stupid driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Or he was one of the drivers that can't stand to follow people. I have seen it and rode with people that do it. They will pass someone, just to go the same speed as they were before but they "can't be behind someone"

I'm somewhat guilty of that, sometimes I will kick up my speed so I don't follow someone. I have a nasty habit of following at the same distance regardless of traffic; if I find myself doing that and there's no traffic I'll try to do something so I'll stop tailgating. But I don't slow down afterwards and make a pain of myself afterwards.

MA driving has ruined me.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: whip
We live in a society that encourages stupidity, and we have a legal system that rewards it. Why are we shocked to see stupidity increase?

I almost fell off my chair when I read this post and realized I agree with it!

I'll go one step further in the chain of logic. As societies become more advanced, natural selection is short circuited. In other words, the perpetrator of the stupid behavior suffers no consequences. Therefore, the behavior is reinforced. This is happening on a very large scale in "first world" countries. The big question is whether or not it will bring about downfall. This logic can be applied to far more than driving behavior, but it is something obvious that we see every day.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Being as I'm out in the country, and drive a lot at night, I like following another driver at a safe distance. They're the ones to hit the deer first.

That's why my wife's Grand National and my Caddy both have high-intensity driving lights!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Being as I'm out in the country, and drive a lot at night, I like following another driver at a safe distance. They're the ones to hit the deer first.

That's why my wife's Grand National and my Caddy both have high-intensity driving lights!

Your wife has a GN? Cool lady! Does she dust high school hot rodders with it? I used to have an '87 T-Type (GN in disguise) and I had a blast toying with guys who thought their rides were fast...

No, because they see the rollcage and realize they're outclassed!
laugh.gif

That doesn't work worth a sxxx at speed in a wooded area when they try to cross. But if you think it does fine, to make yourself super safe put those high pitched whistles on your front bumper.

many years ago i stopped thinking i could keep a good truck. so the last one i looked for one with rusted wheel wells. thinking that was why someone got rid of it. and the drive train was good. and thats what happened. i say take ALL the paint lines off the road. no one uses them any way. look at the money we would save.

That doesn't work worth a sxxx at speed in a wooded area when they try to cross. But if you think it does fine, to make yourself super safe put those high pitched whistles on your front bumper.

Actually, they do...one wide-beam to light the shoulders, one pencil-beam to light straight ahead. Works beautifully, in fact.

Around here, it is the stupid rednecks and their 4x4 pickup trucks with plows, that try to see how many parking lots that they can plow in one hour.

The main problem is when they drive on the streets with the rest of us, trying to get to the next parking lot, driving like it is a warm summer day. They run stop signs, speed, push snow across roadways without checking for oncoming traffic, back into streets without looking, and let the empty bags of salt melt blow out of the bed of their trucks.

Originally Posted By: grampi

Your wife has a GN? Cool lady! Does she dust high school hot rodders with it? I used to have an '87 T-Type (GN in disguise) and I had a blast toying with guys who thought their rides were fast...

20.gif
GN/GNX/T-Type......on my dream car list!!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I'll go one step further in the chain of logic. As societies become more advanced, natural selection is short circuited. In other words, the perpetrator of the stupid behavior suffers no consequences. Therefore, the behavior is reinforced. This is happening on a very large scale in "first world" countries. The big question is whether or not it will bring about downfall. This logic can be applied to far more than driving behavior, but it is something obvious that we see every day.

Well said.

I'm nearly 50 years old now and I too have seen how irresponsible, reckless, and foolhardy behavior is NOT penalized by society, and it is breeding a society of morons which grows larger by the hour.

Actually, they do...one wide-beam to light the shoulders, one pencil-beam to light straight ahead. Works beautifully, in fact.

To make the statement that Hi Intensity driving lights will absolutely guarantee you not to hit a deer is folly, to imply the same is also folly.

If you can point to where I claimed they would GUARANTEE anything, I will give you one hundred trillion dollars!

If you can point to where I claimed they would GUARANTEE anything, I will give you one hundred trillion dollars!

Suppose that's why I added "imply".

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I agree that many people just seem to be getting dumber behind the wheel, phone or not. Many people just have a lazy approach to driving and don't seem to care if their driving is bad and impacting traffic flow.

Phones and other distractions amplify the issue, but definitely are not the sole cause. A lot of the time when I see someone on the phone while driving, they are all over the place, not signaling, not really paying any attention to what they are doing. A lot of these people would still be bad drivers without the phone though. Also, not everyone who uses a phone while driving is driving poorly, it's just that many people are unable to pay attention to more than one thing at a time. How do you decide and control who is or is not capable of using a phone while driving?

I've also noticed people not going on green, or taking off at an unreasonably slow speed, almost like they are idling through the intersection. This is really annoying when it causes others to unnecessarily sit through another light cycle.

I think there are two social trends beyond simple phone distraction that are the root cause. One is that many people are simply self absorbed and not concerned about others. Impeding traffic does not concern them, because they are the center of the universe. Secondly, a lot of people have extremely short attention spans, and with cars becoming more isolated and more automatic in operation, they feel no real need to pay attention to what they are doing. Driving used to be a more involving activity for the driver, now it's almost as numb as laying in bed.

I think the growing trend of blind spot monitors, lane departure warnings, etc. actually make the problems worse because they give bad drivers a false sense of security. "I don't have to pay attention because the car will do it for me." They may not be treating these features as a second line of defense or a backup for catching things they may miss while otherwise paying attention. Rather, they pass all responsibility off to the electronic monitors.

The solution, if there is one, probably starts with licensing and tests. A lot of driving instruction in this country is from a different period in time. People are taught things like parallel parking and what a rail road crossing sign looks like, but not to be fully aware of their surroundings and what they are doing. I think driver education needs an overhaul, with more focus on paying attention and driving in a cooperative manner.

This. Every younger driver should be forced to drive an older car in my opinion. It keeps them on their toes. My Jeep rattles, has loose-feeling steering, suspension that could rattle teeth, and aerodynamics that make it feel like a plane landing in a crosswind on the highway. I always know exactly how fast I'm going, and what all the cars around me are doing. I drove 8 hours last summer on a trip with not one distraction. I got into my mom's Honda to drive my sister to school one morning, and it felt like the car had autopilot.

This morning I saw a girl driving down the highway with no hands on the wheel. One was holding a phone, the other was holding make-up.

I need a louder horn, one that doesn't honk, but screams "Wake up and drive [censored]!"

Your wife isn't named Sandy, is it?

Just this morning I was headed to work; above the highway are those traffic alert signs. Today it said "TAILGATING ENFORCEMENT AREA" I wonder how that was going to work.

About a mile later a trooper is on the side of the road and zooming down the passing lane is a guy in a volvo, with an explorer about 40 feet behind him; they are going about 70.

We all pass the trooper @ the same time, and the guy in the explorer hasn't a clue and the trooper puts the lights on and they both pull over. The lead guy realizes "not for me" and drives off.

Not sure how you can get pulled over for tailgating when there are 3 cars on the highway and a giant sign warning you in advance.

^Wow. If they decided to selectively target tailgaters here they would have a field day. City budgets would be met in days. Stupidity, discourtesy, impatience, and flat-out failure to launch (think) are at their apexes when driving.

I have said it many times, but perhaps not here. Driving is a set of skills, like a sport. Most of us have to do it, but VERY few are actually good at it.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Just this morning I was headed to work; above the highway are those traffic alert signs. Today it said "TAILGATING ENFORCEMENT AREA" I wonder how that was going to work.

About a mile later a trooper is on the side of the road and zooming down the passing lane is a guy in a volvo, with an explorer about 40 feet behind him; they are going about 70.

We all pass the trooper @ the same time, and the guy in the explorer hasn't a clue and the trooper puts the lights on and they both pull over. The lead guy realizes "not for me" and drives off.

Not sure how you can get pulled over for tailgating when there are 3 cars on the highway and a giant sign warning you in advance.

Tailgating is a mindset these days. If you are in front of another driver who wants to drive faster than you're going, he/she is going to tailgate you...that's just the way people in this "me first" society are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back