My Biggest Driving Pet Peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I get a tailgater, I start swerving side to side like those NASCAR boys do when they're warming up their tires. I'm trying to shake the car off my tail.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I hate tailgaters. That's my pet peeve.

It's a dangerous way to drive for both the tailgater and the tailgatee...even more disturbing is that many people who tailgate believe their tailgating is justifiable if the person in front of them is driving slower than they want to go...unreal...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: datech
Passing thru the far right lane on a multi-lane highway can mess up people getting on or off the highway, but I believe most state codes specifically allow passing on the right in the case of someone blocking the lane making a left turn, as long as it is safe.

On a rural road, two lane blacktop, etc.

A lot of times the middle and left lanes are blocked so people resort to using the far right lane and while I can sympathize at times it can cause problems.

What about when the right two lanes spiral off in a quarter mile as right-turn only lanes? I pass one of these daily; the right two lanes get onto a highway so people have no need to slow down. I stay in the middle until the two right lanes go away, then move over when I can.

Then there is the EZPass lanes. I refuse to have to stop to use the right lanes (which are cash/EZPass). The left two lanes are high speed EZpass. When I drive slow I try to drive right but sometimes right is too far to the right. I could do 70+ to blend better in with traffic for the mile or two required but it takes a while to get into the "drive slow" mindset in the first place. And of course, as witnessed here, speeding up/down drives some people nuts, so that is out too.

Yes sometimes when the highway splits what was the middle becomes the left-or right. There are sometimes special circumstances and this must be a problem for people trying to develope self driving cars.

Sometimes there is no substitute for thinking.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
somebody mentioned people passing on the right as their pet peeve. may I ask them the question as to why do people pass them on the right?

+1 If I pass you on the right, then that means you shouldn't have been in the left lane in the first place, and it's really your own fault.

The way I see it: I'm just cruising along, staying in the right lane like I'm supposed to. There's nothing wrong with that. And while cruising along in the right lane, I happen to pass someone in the left lane, THEY'RE the one doing something wrong.

I hate when you're the only car on the street, and someone will race out in front of you, then go 5-10mph under the speed limit...

Originally Posted By: eljefino

It's funny how people violate the speed law almost universally but worship others so literally.

An intersection has a signal for who can go, and who can stop, and when they can proceed. It could have a stop sign one day then a light the next. The stopper is responsible for making sure the intersection and approach is clear. Given adequate sight lines, why shouldn't a stopped vehicle go?

In the 1970s we invented "turn right on red" (after stopping) to save gas. Whatever actuary approved that rule change figures the fuel saved outweighs whatever accidents happen... or that a driver can be trusted to check one lane of cross traffic.

Besides, if someone stopping then sneaking through a red light does it right, with the right amount of paranoia and resultant visual double-checking, noone will have seen them to take offense. I'd still trust a driver doing this over someone distracted by their mobile device.

Can't agree with you, eljefino. Don't make up your own traffic laws. The problem is, even if you do it safely 100% of the time, the fact that you do means this will happen

1. Someone else will think, if it's ok for that guy why isn't it ok for me
2. He's not as careful
3. He kills someone

Laws need to apply to everyone, not just the people who aren't as careful as you.

Highway Patrol engaging in activities that take a smoothly moving column of traffic from 70 to 35.....

I sent them a nasty gram about causing thousands of people to slam on the brakes for no particular reason.....

And they said that is exactly what they wanted to happen!
33.gif

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I hate when you're the only car on the street, and someone will race out in front of you, then go 5-10mph under the speed limit...
Oh yeah, and make you brake as well. I had a cougar roll through the intersection to make a left hand turn right in front of me. Granted, I was coasting down the hill about 25 mph.Gave me the stink eye waved her hand like I was the baddy just for being in her way. Very rude from a supposed "lady"
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I hate tailgaters. That's my pet peeve.

I also realy hate tailgaters.
They come in more than one flavor, though.
The guy who tailgates agressively with a look of malice is at least paying attention.
The chick who tailgates with a phone glued to her ear or in front of her face is the greater danger.
She's using her peripheral view of the back of your car as her primary source of navigation.
Four out of every five people you'll ever meet are reasonable, friendly and accomodating.
Put most of them behind the wheel of a car and all of that goes away.
You can't get anywhere fast in traffic, without regard to how hard you try.
Too bad most drivers can't grasp this simple concept.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Vikas
somebody mentioned people passing on the right as their pet peeve. may I ask them the question as to why do people pass them on the right?

+1 If I pass you on the right, then that means you shouldn't have been in the left lane in the first place, and it's really your own fault.

The way I see it: I'm just cruising along, staying in the right lane like I'm supposed to. There's nothing wrong with that. And while cruising along in the right lane, I happen to pass someone in the left lane, THEY'RE the one doing something wrong.

Why is this such a simple concept so difficult to grasp by others? If somebody is passing you on the right without going in the breakdown lane, by definition, you are not following slower traffic keep to right rule.

Georgia has a law where you're subject to being ticketed and fined for "impeding the flow of traffic". This was an alternative to "left lane for passing only".

Good luck enforcing it.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Georgia has a law where you're subject to being ticketed and fined for "impeding the flow of traffic". This was an alternative to "left lane for passing only".

Good luck enforcing it.

Florida has one, too. Selective enforcement is what happens...

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Good luck enforcing it.

There are lots of traffic laws these days, the problem is, most of them aren't enforced. We have laws here in IL against using hand held cell phones while driving, but do you think that stops anyone from doing it? Of course not, and it's because the law is never enforced...heck, even the cops drive around using hand held cells...a lot of these laws would make the road a much nicer place if they were enforced, but things will just continue to get worse as long as the cops spend most of the time at the donut shop (or whatever they're doing) instead of patrolling our roads...

Last edited:
-cell phones while driving.

-people that drive aggressively In heavy traffic (constant lane changing, tailgating, etc). You're still not getting there any faster than the rest of us.

-People that tailgate in neighborhoods that are 25mph ... sorry but i'm not going any faster with kids and pets around.

-*some* Elderly drivers... I know i'll get heat for this one but if you're going 15mph in a 35 I don't think you should be driving lol.

-Drivers that don't pay attention to traffic lights ... if everyone just watched the light I don't see why all the vehicles couldn't start rolling at the same time, instead of a couple cars getting thru and everyone else waiting again.

-So many more lol...

Bad topic for me to have started. I don't know why I can't quit being irritated by things I cannot control. People, in general, expend less energy worrying about how the things they do affect others - most likely because we have less energy available to expend.

It's not going to get better. As our metro areas get larger it will only get worse. Those who are laid back and relaxed types do not understand why those like me are so bothered. Those like me do not understand the laid back folks, but I certainly am jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back