Trooper recommends dash cameras

This is a post off of Reddit from a State Trooper recommending a dash cam. I've been on the fence about buying a dash cam, since I just can't get over how ugly they look. Although as we all know they can save your butt.

Link to Reddit

"I recommend everyone invest in a dash camera. Here's three examples why:

Example 1:

I responded to a crash on a two lane freeway with a Camaro and a Camry. The Camaro had right rear damage, and the Camry had left front damage. I asked the Camaro driver what happened: "I was driving slowly because of traffic, maybe 15mph, when I looked in my mirror and I saw the Camry speeding down the lane. I knew he wouldn't be able to stop before hitting me because his speed was way too fast. Then I got hit."

Camry driver: "I was driving down the lane, doing about 40mph. The lane next to me had more traffic and was doing about 15mph. Out of nowhere, the Camaro made a lane change right in front of me, no signal, no warning. I tried to hit my brakes and swerve out of the way, but I couldn't go anywhere because of the wall on the side. Then I ran into the back of the Camaro.

Back to the Camaro driver. I asked, "How long had you been in this lane before you got hit?"

"Oooh, probably a few minutes..."

"The other driver said you didn't use your turn signal."

"No no, I definitely did. It's still on right now!"

Verdict: Camaro driver was a liar and found at fault.

Example 2:

I was called to a crash at an intersection controlled by a light, Sebring versus an Accord. The Accord had t-boned the Sebring.

Sebring driver: "I was exiting the freeway and going to make a left turn at the light. The light was green and another car ahead of me already went through, so I entered the intersection at about 10mph. I barely saw to my left that the Accord was running the light. The Accord hit my car and spun it around. There was also another guy here who saw it but had to leave. He gave me his name and phone number."

Accord driver: "I was driving straight through a green light at about 40mph. Out of nowhere, the Sebring pulled right in front of me. I hit my brakes but couldn't stop in time."

I called the witness provided by the Sebring driver. The number didn't work. I checked dispatch for witnesses, and there was one, so I called him.

Witness: "The Accord driver was probably going a little bit too fast, but the Accord had the green light. It looked like the Sebring tried to stop before the light, but stopped way too late and end up halfway into the intersection. Then the Accord ran into the Sebring after it stopped."

Verdict: Sebring driver was a liar and found at fault.

Example 3:

I was called to a crash of a brand new Focus vs a couple parked cars and a house.

Focus driver: "I was pulling into the parking lot, going uphill, when my vehicle suddenly started going backwards. I have no idea why. I was probably going 5mph. I hit the brakes but they didn't stop me. I rolled backwards into the driveway behind me." This was a distance of about 100 feet.

I looked at the scene and there was no evidence of braking. I inspected the Focus and both the transmission and the brakes worked fine. Based on the damage, the driver was doing closer to 40 at impact. The Focus had a couple thousand miles on it. So this driver expected me to believe this new car had a problem where it randomly shifted into reverse and simultaneously had a brake failure....as opposed to them getting confused and hitting the gas instead of the brake while they were backing up.

Verdict: Focus driver was a liar and found at fault."

Dash cam saved me from Russian scammers. They intentionally hit my parked truck in the parking lot. Got out acting injured, and complaining about the damage I caused to their car. They called the cops, but took off when I pointed out the dash cam.

I recommend against dash cams because they can always be used as evidence against you and if you, in a panic, decide to taper with the camera because of an accident where you're at fault you can also be charged.

If you don't like the looks, the A119 types use a self sticky and are low profile. I use them as my rear cams. Very small and no suction cup.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I recommend against dash cams because they can always be used as evidence against you and if you, in a panic, decide to taper with the camera because of an accident where you're at fault you can also be charged.

How bad do you drive?

I recommend getting one. It saved me a few times especially minor accidents that the cops refuse to show up. The other driver(s) always change their stories when reporting to the insurance company, i.e., you runs the red light, unsafe driving, similar to the Camero's story above. If you and the other guy have the same insurance company, you're screwed and have to pay out of pocket because they cannot take side. It happened to my friend with Geico.

Anyway, unless you're sure you have the right of way, I wouldn't present the video at the accident site.

Any brand A119 is fine. I have 1 SpyTech and 1 Viofo. They are identical. You can get a 2 year free replacement from Amazon for $4.50 or 3 years for around $7. These are capacitor units no battery if that's ok. Yes you need a dashcam now a days. If some fool runs a red light and hits you, the first think they say is you ran the red light and all their friends will back them up.

Originally Posted by hatt

How bad do you drive?

I'm a safe driver but not necessarily the slowest. Besides nobody is perfect as I suspect 99% of the poster on this board routinely follow too close* especially when commuting to/from work.

* 1 car length for every 10 mph.

Last edited:
I've had an Spy Tec A119 since 2016, no problems with it. Nobody sees it right next to the mirror. It's max SD card is 32G but the newer ones seem to be higher. I'm considering a unit for the back window as it seems that is just as important. Several times I've had tailgaters making gestures and faces but couldn't record them. 1080p is a must, I would love to see 60fps become more affordable.

I love them for my company vehicles.
27.gif

That's ridiculous. I worked as an auto claims adjuster and I can 100% verify that dash cams help more than hurt. The only ones who should be afraid are those who cause accidents to begin with.

You can also turn off the "show speed" option. Neither of mine show the speed on the camera while recording.

Is there a way to mount the Spy Tec A119 *without* using the sticky tape ?

Can it be powered via USB port ?

I like that it apparently supports instant playback using the rearview small viewer, ie. no need to pair with phone via wifi/bluetooth.

www. amazon.com/SpyTec-Version-GPS-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B01HN0HBFG

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

That's ridiculous. I worked as an auto claims adjuster and I can 100% verify that dash cams help more than hurt. The only ones who should be afraid are those who cause accidents to begin with.

You can also turn off the "show speed" option. Neither of mine show the speed on the camera while recording.

You don't know that, because you don't know the number of times a dash cam wasn't disclosed. Take a "holier than thou" driver who "brake checks" another driver causing a rear end collision. Point being is that I can see situations where the camera "disappears" when the accident doesn't look favorably on the driver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

You don't know that, because you don't know the number of times a dash cam wasn't disclosed. Take a "holier than thou" driver who "brake checks" another driver causing a rear end collision. Point being is that I can see situations where the camera "disappears" when the accident doesn't look favorably on the driver.

Isn't it the decision of the camera owner wether or not they choose to use the footage as evidence?

Regardless if someone "brake checks" you, it's hard to prove they did it on purpose. They could have hit the brake by mistake, had a leg cramp, reacted to a spider in the car, etc. The fact that you were following too close and hit them IS the issue. You'll be declared mainly at fault for following too close for the speed. Even if they lock them up....you should be far enough back to avoid them. Like you said earlier, 1 sec for every 10 mph should give you plenty of reaction time.

Last edited:
Back