My best bargain on motor oil yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

today, while doing grocery shopping, I took a walk around the car shelves. Found eight 5-liter jugs of 5W40 A3/B4 + JASO MA2 :

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

At € 13.90 each. I took 2 "gasoline" jugs and 6 "diesel" ones. There was some more jugs available, but the sticker was different (new packaging, or old packaging ?) and the approvals lists was slighly less and didn't include JASO, so I didn't took them. I should have and stored them home for car use, but I've let them for others that would actually need them for their cars.
That brings me down to less than € 2.80 per liter of some 5W40 oil that is both suitable for a lot of car engines, as well as for motorcycle engines (and OPE).
I never had something as cheap as this concerning motor oil, I always buy 5W40 (A3/B4) store brand oils at approx € 20 per 5L jug, 5W30 (C3) at € 30 per 5L jug, and 10W40 (or 10W50, depends where I buy and what's available) motorcycle JASO MA2 oil at €10 per 2L jug.

Is it rare in your locations to find JASO MA2 + other car approvals oils ?
Any thoughts about it ?

Originally Posted by Drosselmier
Where is reunion island? It's real name.

Yeah, good question. Must be in Europe as he paid with euros

Auchan is a big multinational French company, so you can probably trust those spec, which are very good.

Over here Penrite also make oils with regular car specs (API, ACEA, etc) plus motorcycle JASO specs. I think they are made without friction modifiers to keep the bike wet clutch in good shape. It means they would fail ILSAC resource conserving economy tests etc, but who cares, that's not the point of a thicker oil that passes Porsche A40 and other Euro OEMs.

You could always check the Bevo web site to confirm if this MB oil is listed.

I trust those specs but many won't trust that oil because of the store brand (not me). Total/Shell are mainstream

What's the hype about Porsche A40 though?

You have a car or just a scooter. Since so much comes in by ocean freight, what does gasoline cost per liter.

It is a beautiful place to live.

Rod

Prices per liter

Supercarburant (sans-plomb) [unleaded gasoline] €1,45
Gazole [Diesel fuel] €1,14
GNR [offroad diesel fuel, same product with a red dye, less taxes, unauthorized for road use] €0,75
Pétrole Lampant [lightning oil?] €0,75
Supercarburant destiné aux professionnels de la mer [same as normal unleaded gasoline but for professional marine use only, less taxes] €0,75
Gazole destiné aux professionnels de la mer [same scheme as the former] €0,75
Gaz (bouteille de 12,5 kg) [12.5kg of butane gas, bring your empty tank] €16,02

Fuels are ethanol free, and ultra low sulfur

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Looks beautiful, hopefully that's not an active volcano I see on the map! Almost looks small enough for a golf cart, or an all electric car.

It's an active volcano, once in a while who spits lava, eats whats on it's path and changes the shape of the island. It atmost always happens on the same side of the island, due to topography

Originally Posted by Superflan
I trust those specs but many won't trust that oil because of the store brand (not me). Total/Shell are mainstream?

I sure wouldn't. It does not have Mercedes-Benz approvals (your first clue is it's worded wrong), it is not API SN and it does not appear on the Audi/VW list of approved oils. They also have not filed the MA listing with the JASO Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (although they are not required to do so). Given that my take away is that they are making up every one of the "approvals" listed on that container.

So you trust the rest? Why would you?

Originally Posted by kschachn
So you trust the rest? Why would you?

I may be candid but I think it's a branding issue. Like Bendix now has a brand of motor oil, yet it's not on the API list (even "Almanar group").
ELF (Total) products on the API list ? Only lists some API SN oils, yet I swear I can still find some API SL ELF oils on the shelves !

I won't trust the API list. Seems too short. Even on a reputable brand like ELF (TOTAL !!)

Even Q8 (Kuwait Petroleum Research & Technology), a reputable industrial lubrification company doing motor oils, have numerous API products in their line. Yet, only 3 are listed...

Can't find any europpean store brand (like your US Supertech), yet those are reputable oils here. I don't know... I'll ask consumer support. Maybe spend a few bucks for a VOA.

Last edited:
Well I don't care about the API really, that would be my least concern. But the rest I would. It definitely does not have the Mercedes Benz approvals, "branding issue" or not. Those are not worded properly on the container.

For me it goes to trust. I have a problem with unethical companies that obfuscate and attempt to deceive when it comes to approvals and certifications.

What will a VOA tell you that is an acceptable substitute for an approval? It would be better to ask them if they are making up the list on the back of the container or not.

Originally Posted by kschachn
It definitely does not have the Mercedes Benz approvals, "branding issue" or not. Those are not worded properly on the container.
For me it goes to trust. I have a problem with unethical companies that obfuscate and attempt to deceive when it comes to approvals and certifications.
What will a VOA tell you that is an acceptable substitute for an approval? It would be better to ask them if they are making up the list on the back of the container or not.

I hear you on that. I just learned that it should be clearly written "MB-Approval ___". I sent an email to Auchan and also to Durand Production, who packages oils for many stores in France.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back