My attempt to buy Penzoil Ultra at Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OB4x4
In a recent market study of national parts houses, AZ came in at 49% satisfied customers, they just edged out Pep boys which came in last place(41%). When less than half of yours customers are satisfied with your service your doing something very wrong.

I just wonder why some people keep on going to there. Is it just price?

All the auto parts places [censored] me off. I rarely let anyone touch my cars except if it is something I can do. Pep Boys did an alignment and put 4 new tires on my Jag over the weekend. They definitely did more wrong than they did right. The wheels were dirty as [censored] by the time they were done and the new tires looked like they were driven through a mud puddle, let alone misplacing my spare. Completely careless. I'll pay twice as much and take it to the dealer next time. At least they serve me coffee while I wait there.

good luck finding a dealer that knows what they are doing these days. Not to mention the cost of dealing with most (not all) stealers.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
good luck finding a dealer that knows what they are doing these days. Not to mention the cost of dealing with most (not all) stealers.

It's really a sign of the times IN the USA.

Top execs that make a king's ransom for poor performance.... and don't think that the greed and uncaring attitude at the very top isn't understood and picked up on by even the dullest counter employee at the local auto parts chain store. Although there are exceptions why should the slob at the counter care if the CEO doesn't care?

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Lol, this is why I don't ask the counter jockeys for anything at parts stores.

Good grief. He should have told the counter jockey to post that nonsense here.

Rule #1 in retail oil sales: Do not tell a BITOGer that PP and PU are the same thing.

Thats why I like my local Napa. Most of the guys at their counter are older gentlemen who have spent time in the past working at machine shops, engine shops, or body shops. They are usually always very helpful or atleast try to be. My only complaint with that particular store are their hours. If they were open more on the weekends, they would get all my buisness.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Also while the CEO of Walmart makes 17 million a year, their employees seem to be the biggest user of the state supplied foodstamps and low income health insurance that has ever existed as they pay them so little and seem to work to keep their hours below 35 a week.
It cuts both ways

Nobody working at Wally World is a slave. They have free choice to go elsewhere and improve their lot in life.

Stats like you post are skewed and one sided. Wally World leads in these areas because they are the largest employer but they are indicative of discount retail in general.

The simple fact is that most of what Wally World does, does not require skilled labor and wages are accordingly to that. Being a former Wally World employee myself almost 30 years ago, learn real quick it is not a career but a just a job. You either get educated real quick and move up or out, or accept your lot in life that working there is not beneficial long term.

Businesses like AutoZone, and I'm only singling them out because they're the subject of this thread, rate their "customer satisfaction" on the size of the bottom line: if they make their projected earning then they're satisfied. They could care less about rankings and surveys as long as they meet Wall Street's expectations.

I sincerely wish I was wrong...

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: OB4x4
I just wonder why some people keep on going to there. Is it just price?

It is one of the places (along with O'Reily and PepBoys) that are local so you don't need to buy online for small items.

and they have deals once in a while with rebates.

Yep. I try and avoid them as much as possible. If I know I need something, its rockauto or amazon for best parts prices. Oil is wherever the rebate deals are the best, though.

If I do need a part from a local store, I'll look it up online first, choose the part quality I want, then give them the part no. to get. No upselling or that's listed for a different engine or anything like that.

wow its like i'm looking in a mirror.

This is an interesting read. I live in Canada, maybe 45min from Pt Huron, MI. I must say that when I shop in MI, I have only received the level of service that I would describe as polite and professional. I have given up on buying certain products in London, Ont due to the ignorance and unprofessionalism of various employees. I do not mind for 1 minute travelling to the USA to give them my business. I am happy when I leave the store, I am treated with respect. I feel that it is my money and I will spend it where I am treated best and that is in the USA.
I will be honest with you folks that live in the states in that people get gouged big time in our country. Nothing worse than forking over hard earned dollars and some dip stick smiling at you because he knows that you know you just got screwed without getting kissed.

Originally Posted By: dernp
This is an interesting read. I live in Canada, maybe 45min from Pt Huron, MI. I must say that when I shop in MI, I have only received the level of service that I would describe as polite and professional. I have given up on buying certain products in London, Ont due to the ignorance and unprofessionalism of various employees. I do not mind for 1 minute travelling to the USA to give them my business. I am happy when I leave the store, I am treated with respect. I feel that it is my money and I will spend it where I am treated best and that is in the USA.
I will be honest with you folks that live in the states in that people get gouged big time in our country. Nothing worse than forking over hard earned dollars and some dip stick smiling at you because he knows that you know you just got screwed without getting kissed.

What happened to you guys? Canada used to be like the civilized version of the U. S. I remember a joke from thirty years ago: "How do you get fifty Canadians out of a pool on a hot day?
Say 'would everyone please get out of the pool', of course."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AITG
Originally Posted By: dernp

What happened to you guys? Canada used to be like the civilized version of the U. S. I remember a joke from thirty years ago: "How do you get fifty Canadians out of a pool on a hot day?
Say 'would everyone please get out of the pool', of course."

That's funny. I think for the most part, that still holds true in that Canada is known as the friendly place to be but the service industry sucks.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Thats why I like my local Napa. Most of the guys at their counter are older gentlemen who have spent time in the past working at machine shops, engine shops, or body shops. They are usually always very helpful or atleast try to be. My only complaint with that particular store are their hours. If they were open more on the weekends, they would get all my buisness.

BINGO! I go to NAPA or Carquest for hard parts (oil and fluids from WM). As said above, the NAPA and Carquest local stores supply the independent repair shops and have knowedgelable guys behind the counter who usually know the products they are selling. Only occasionally do I have them give me the wrong part or I have to correct them regarding a part. And occasionally they actually do know more than me about my car
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Yeah just like my local napa says qs and pyb are the same. They pointed out the sopus on the bottle for me. You cant talk to parts people

HEY now I am one... and I work for NAPA.
spankme2.gif
cool.gif

all hope is not lost lol

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Sounds like one of the MANY reasons I hope Walmart runs Autozone out of town.

(1) The liberals will hate you for saying that. Jewel visited their central office, sand a song, and now the liberals are calling her a "sellout".

(2) I too like walmart but they're not perfect. I returned some oil, the woman asked for my credit card, I said "Which one did I use?", and she said Walmart card. "I don't have a walmart card. Which card did I use? Visa? Discover?" She then insisted I used a Walmart card, even though I don't have one, and then handed me a Walmart gift card for $25.

I was peeved. I asked to see the original receipt, looked at the payment, and said, "It reads Discover Tendered right on the f_____g receipt." If I can read a receipt, why can't a Walmart employee? I asked for a manager, told him he should train his people "how to read a receipt", and please refund the $25 back on my credit card where it belongs.

I've also encountered problems with returning CDs and DVDs at Walmart. If the thing is scratched, that's not my fault. Give me back my money. But instead Walmart hands me a store credit/gift card which I don't want.

I go to the Advance Auto Parts near me. There are a couple of guys there who know me by name and vise versa. Most of the time they'll ask me "What are you working on today, the Accord or the Taurus?" and they'll key in what is what. I pretty much try to plan when I go there 'cause I know who'll be working. Other times the people they have in there are just CLUELESS.

Besides AAP I do like going to the Honda dealer for parts. I honestly don't think the prices are that bad, they know their stuff, and they're ever friendly. Also I seek out eBay when I got the right part number.

As for oil, I just bought 27 qts of TGMO 0W-20 off of eBay. I'm good for a while, LOL.

Originally Posted By: blackman777

(1) The liberals will hate you for saying that.

AWESOME. I love angering libtards
smile.gif

O'Reilly used to be wonderful! They got to know me and they'd have my oil of choice (which back then was Syntec) and my filter waiting on the counter as soon as I walked through the door. Chief Auto Parts was my favorite store too.

I wonder why the autoparts chains' customer service has gotten so unacceptable?

(1) The liberals will hate you for saying that. Jewel visited their central office, sand a song, and now the liberals are calling her a "sellout".

(2) I too like walmart but they're not perfect. I returned some oil, the woman asked for my credit card, I said "Which one did I use?", and she said Walmart card. "I don't have a walmart card. Which card did I use? Visa? Discover?" She then insisted I used a Walmart card, even though I don't have one, and then handed me a Walmart gift card for $25.

I was peeved. I asked to see the original receipt, looked at the payment, and said, "It reads Discover Tendered right on the f_____g receipt." If I can read a receipt, why can't a Walmart employee? I asked for a manager, told him he should train his people "how to read a receipt", and please refund the $25 back on my credit card where it belongs.

I've also encountered problems with returning CDs and DVDs at Walmart. If the thing is scratched, that's not my fault. Give me back my money. But instead Walmart hands me a store credit/gift card which I don't want.

It is not a employee's fault you can not read a return policy for media items.

"CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, audiotapes, videotapes and video games must be returned unopened. If the item is defective, it can be returned within 90 days with a receipt and the original packaging. Defective items may be exchanged for the same title."

Originally Posted By: dave1251

It is not a employee's fault you can not read a return policy for media items.

"CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, audiotapes, videotapes and video games must be returned unopened. If the item is defective, it can be returned within 90 days with a receipt and the original packaging. Defective items may be exchanged for the same title."

Back when I worked at a music store we had the same policy. Refund was issued only if cd was unopened. If opened,store credit only. Defective,exchange for duplicate of same title only.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Yeah just like my local napa says qs and pyb are the same. They pointed out the sopus on the bottle for me. You cant talk to parts people

All Parts employee's are not going to know everything about motor oil , it cracks me up that people on this site expect everyone including parts people to know every detail about every oil. For a bitoger this stuff and information is a big hobby to us , to the general public they couldnt tell the difference between 10w-40 and 0w-20. To the average parts guy , they SHOULD know operational differences between grades and syn and dino and to find the correct oil for any given application. They dont have to know and shouldn't be expected to know all the nuances of the oil industry. For those who say Counter people dont know anything ...ok , lets see you custom order that part you need .Go ahead source a FDO or use the EPC system ...its a breeze and moron can do it lol . Seriously though there are bad and great parts people , just like any profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back