My 2.0T fsi loves PP Euro 5w40

Yeah, I think maybe I was referring to the Pennzoil Platinum Racing 5W40. There is slight differences in formulation according to the data sheets. Can’t find a bottle or container photo anywhere but it only states Ferrari approval. There is also the PP Racing 10W-60 that has a few more approvals. No big deal, maybe uninteresting to some. Just wanted to clarify and acknowledge I may have misspoken.
PP Racing 5W40 TDS: https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/0d2a7349-5baf-4a56-8deb-395ec19c699d.pdf
PP Euro 5W40 TDS: https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/0e00e77c-82e8-4754-a5d8-996047cd951b.pdf

Yeah, I think maybe I was referring to the Pennzoil Platinum Racing 5W40. There is slight differences in formulation according to the data sheets. Can’t find a bottle or container photo anywhere but it only states Ferrari approval. There is also the PP Racing 10W-60 that has a few more approvals. No big deal, maybe uninteresting to some. Just wanted to clarify and acknowledge I may have misspoken.
PP Racing 5W40 TDS: https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/0d2a7349-5baf-4a56-8deb-395ec19c699d.pdf
PP Euro 5W40 TDS: https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/0e00e77c-82e8-4754-a5d8-996047cd951b.pdf
What is Ferrari approval?

Just a quick update,
This is the first OCI running the PP Euro 5w40 SN+ reformulation and I’ve burned through quite a bit. Currently on my 7th quart @ approx 4200 miles. I have no evidence to prove it’s the new formulation, just kinda shocked ATM, my consumption is this high.

Wow that's a lot. The Sopus SN plus definitely runs on the thin side but I'd tend to believe you have something else going on.

Just a quick update,
This is the first OCI running the PP Euro 5w40 SN+ reformulation and I’ve burned through quite a bit. Currently on my 7th quart @ approx 4200 miles. I have no evidence to prove it’s the new formulation, just kinda shocked ATM, my consumption is this high.
There is something else going on in the engine.

One issue regardless is, I don’t see this Oil worth seeking out any more or paying the off the shelf price for a single bottle when I want to top off. The WMs here still only carry the Euro 0w40. I wish the PP euro 5w40 was available in 5-qt jugs. Additionally, not a very impressive add pack. Just seems like any old Euro oil now that’s commanding a somewhat premium price because of distribution and size availability.

You said one wasn’t very impressive, I just wondered what it was in the typical values PDS that made it less impressive than any other oil with the same approvals or licenses.
Price and availability more in focus in this equation. If I’m going to burn the oil, why pay more for it? That’s where I’m at. I’d gladly give it another OCI but the best price is $43.—/6-pack on Amazon. Additonaly, I’ve had 2 six packs arrive with bottles burst open and had to send back. That’s not Pennzoil’s fault but adds to the scheme.of things.

Price and availability more in focus in this equation. If I’m going to burn the oil, why pay more for it? That’s where I’m at. I’d gladly give it another OCI but the best price is $43.—/6-pack on Amazon. Additonaly, I’ve had 2 six packs arrive with bottles burst open and had to send back. That’s not Pennzoil’s fault but adds to the scheme.of things.
No I meant in regards to the add pack you mentioned.

No I meant in regards to the add pack you mentioned.
Yes. Just part of the reason I don’t see it worth the slight premium over any other oil I’m potentially going to burn too. What’s the defining characteristic of this euro oil over any other euro oil, that commands it’s slight premium? I don’t see any.

Meaning, I don’t see anything more or less impressive in the add pack/pds than any other more readily available euro oil

Just a quick update,
Had similar issue with Shell helix ultra 5w-40🤷. Try M1 or Castrol edge 0w-40

Just did an OC with M1 Euro 5w40. We’ll see how it goes.The BPY engines do burn some oil and seemingly tend to destroy oil but read similar experiences in other car forums as well. I wish I would’ve kept better track of my add oil to do an appropriate UOA.

Last edited:
Back