My 14 Sierra dropped another lifter just 6 months later

So December 23rd was the first time I think it was around 92,000 miles, the post is linked here.

Now at 98,500 miles I dropped another lifter on the same side I just replaced!
Now I'm looking at full blown afm/dod delete with an aftermarket cam (as recommended from someone I know, and trust that builds ls engines) picture here of what I'm looking at.
My only problem is finding someone to tune it asap when it's done.
My brother actually has a 850+ whp 17 Camaro with the gen V 6.2, and gave me places to call on wait times for said tune.

IMG_2244.jpg

We do so many of these it's not funny. The issue is the replacement parts are the same that you take out. AFM delete is a good idea BUT it does not eliminate the issue completely but does buy more time. We have seen AFM deletes fail too.
What is there to fail if you're replacing the cam lifters, etc?

The GM replacement parts are the same as what has failed is what I am saying so they can fail again such as in the OP's case.
See I could use my "parts warranty" since I get a 1 year warranty from the dealership, but that'll only cover the lifter cost.
With everything else I'll need I'll be out $500 to go back stock, and I'm not wanting to do this every 6 months 🙄

No reason to not immediately put solid lifters in after the junk afm lifters do its junk afm lifter thing. I wouldn't dare give them a second chance. Exhibit A as to why.

We do so many of these it's not funny. The issue is the replacement parts are the same that you take out. AFM delete is a good idea BUT it does not eliminate the issue completely but does buy more time. We have seen AFM deletes fail too.
Hmm. The ones we have done never had issues. Did you put the block off plate on, 4.8 cam or LS7 and lifters and HP tuners or are y’all just doing a computer delete. No block off plate or anything

Hmm. The ones we have done never had issues. Did you put the block off plate on, 4.8 cam or LS7 and lifters and HP tuners or are y’all just doing a computer delete. No block off plate or anything
I apologize as I was not clear at all. My experiences have been that a "regular" lifter job not deleting AFM and using OEM replacement parts can/will fail again in the future. As for Deletes I did see one return but that was a software delete the guy had done about a month after we had done the repairs and the repeat failure happened in approx 46k miles later. Everything you are referring to is a true good and proper delete and we have never seen one come back (but tbh only have done maybe 4-5) nor have I heard any other shops having come backs with those fixes.

Good response, I need to slow down lol

I thought if you did it the clinebarger way and plugged the ..... ? ports? with the ball bearing (plus tune) it was basically back to old school?

Sorry, I never retained the specifics because I need to be staring at it and touching it to retain info (and even that isn't exactly long term anymore!!)

The Mopar's have the same problem. It's been said that doing the Factory Delete Kit makes the problem go away because it has the extra oil passages for lubrication.. Also, upping the idle to like 850rpm gives more slash lubrication to the Lifters..

The Mopar's have the same problem. It's been said that doing the Factory Delete Kit makes the problem go away because it has the extra oil passages for lubrication.. Also, upping the idle to like 850rpm gives more slash lubrication to the Lifters..
The Chrysler problem is similar, but on them, it's not the MDS lifters that fail, it's the lifters in general, due to poor/improper heat treatment of the wheel on the roller and/or the pin the needles ride on. The lifters are lubricated by side leakage from the lifter bores, which are fully pressurized, there's no splash lubrication happening, as there's a large chunk of the block in the way.

While this same issue (the roller/needles/pin) failing has also been observed on Ford (7.3) and GM pushrod engines, it seems in the GM applications it's more likely for the AFM lifters to fail, and they have a higher rate of failure.

Back