Welp my truck just "dropped" a lifter

Lost my ‘12 5.3L to a stuck lifter. 144K miles. Religious M1 oil changes every 5K miles. Used the AFM delete plug for maybe 60k of those miles. Curbed some of my oil consumption and actually improved my MPG, especially on the highway by 1-2 MPG. Lost an ‘08 5.3L at 88k miles and it was drinking oil all the time. Had enough with GM and moved to Toyota. This 5.7L might not get the gas mileage but is stronger and doesn’t drink a drop at almost 80K.

You didn't lose either engine, They needed to be repaired via AFM Deletes.

I thought the AFM defeat was the fix for the issues with this engine. I have two friends that have had issues with lifters on cylinder 6 specifically. One had no intention of doing anything aftermarket to his truck, the other is tuned. The second was waiting for after the warranty to defeat AFM for fear of warranty issues. He's over 100,000 miles now and defeated with about 420whp. I don't know much about it, but he said something about some kit that removed the AFM equipment for reliability over just the tune AFM defeat.

You didn't lose either engine, They needed to be repaired via AFM Deletes.
In my case (2008 Silverado 5.3 96,000 miles) the lifter ate the cam lobe, metal in oil, ruined the oil pump, and scarred the bearings/crankshaft. Oil light started illuminating a nice glow. The engine was junk. I was happy with it until that point. Didn’t use oil. Even towing (3.73 rear) it ran well. Ran Mobil 1 5w30 and changed oil at 5,500 to 6,000 miles. Chevy dealer tore it down and then agreed to absorb some of the repair cost. I leveraged that offer and traded it on a 2015 Tahoe. Wife hated it. “Too big”.

Tahoe bigger than a Silverado?

Hate to say it but most any motor can fail, and if I’m not mistaken, an LS is cheaper to get than a Toyota engine. I’d hate to lose a motor on any, but taking depreciation into account, I’d rather replace an LS and motor on, sunk cost and all. Not unless if replacing the engine was very expensive and a replacement vehicle not so much.

If the rest of the vehicle is good… engine swapping isn’t the same as frame swapping.

In my case (2008 Silverado 5.3 96,000 miles) the lifter ate the cam lobe, metal in oil, ruined the oil pump, and scarred the bearings/crankshaft. Oil light started illuminating a nice glow. The engine was junk. I was happy with it until that point. Didn’t use oil. Even towing (3.73 rear) it ran well. Ran Mobil 1 5w30 and changed oil at 5,500 to 6,000 miles. Chevy dealer tore it down and then agreed to absorb some of the repair cost. I leveraged that offer and traded it on a 2015 Tahoe. Wife hated it. “Too big”.
Tahoe is larger than a Silverado?

My brothers ‘08 Yukon needed an entire bottom end around 65-70k miles if I remember correctly, due to an issue with an oil “shield” inside the motor that caused oil to be shot up into the cylinder? I could have that wrong but I thought it was something along those lines. Luckily he had an extended warranty. That thing gobbled oil before the repair.

My brothers ‘08 Yukon needed an entire bottom end around 65-70k miles if I remember correctly, due to an issue with an oil “shield” inside the motor that caused oil to be shot up into the cylinder? I could have that wrong but I thought it was something along those lines. Luckily he had an extended warranty. That thing gobbled oil before the repair.
A Google search provides no info on this failure. Maybe YOU DO HAVE IT WRONG-or his failure was extremely rare.

Possibly this issue? Then I’d assume it was ran low on oil in order to have lower end damage. Or maybe the consumption didn’t stop after initial repair and it got the pistons replaced.

This condition may be caused by two conditions. Oilpulled through the PCV system or oil spray that isdischarged from the AFM pressure relief valve withinthe crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drivecycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem.Under certain drive cycles (extended high enginespeed operation), in combination with parts at the highend of their tolerance specification, the oil sprayquantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessivedeposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causingincreased oil consumption and cracked or fouled sparkplugs (#1 and/or #7). Refer to the latest version ofCorporate Bulletin Number 12-06-01-001.

The TSB in question points to the valve cover and a "baffle". So-yes he didn't know what he was talking about. If you are going to mention something-use the right terminology. I didn't search "baffle". I searched "shield".

This condition may be caused by two conditions. Oilpulled through the PCV system or oil spray that isdischarged from the AFM pressure relief valve withinthe crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drivecycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem.Under certain drive cycles (extended high enginespeed operation), in combination with parts at the highend of their tolerance specification, the oil sprayquantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessivedeposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causingincreased oil consumption and cracked or fouled sparkplugs (#1 and/or #7). Refer to the latest version ofCorporate Bulletin Number 12-06-01-001.

The TSB in question points to the valve cover and a "baffle". So-yes he didn't know what he was talking about. If you are going to mention something-use the right terminology.
There’s a reason I put it in quotes, because I didn’t have the technical term for it off the top of my head. But now you see that it is a real thing and all you can do it quote the bulletin and cry about terminology. Did someone anoint you the terminology police? Take your L and sit down.

Possibly this issue? Then I’d assume it was ran low on oil in order to have lower end damage. Or maybe the consumption didn’t stop after initial repair and it got the pistons replaced.

I honestly don’t remember. I know it drank a lot of oil, more than was deemed acceptable, and they did the “shield/deflector” (hopefully that’s technical enough for the terminology police) and a bottom end.

This TSB was finalized in 2014 with "M"
https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Back