Musk Says Tesla ‘Dug Our Own Grave’ With The Cybertruck

Saw one yesterday in the wild (you know, the ‘burbs). It has one of those one-two punches going for it: ugly coming at you, hideous in the rear view mirror.

If this is the future… I can now see why people want to go off the grid and away from everyone else.

Definitely looks like something out of Robocop.

I try not to get hung up on looks but wow is that polarizing.

The Cybertruck has a certain doorstop aesthetic that I find hideous.
It does stand out, though, which is probably what Tesla intended, while a Rivian looks very much like a conventional pickup.

It does stand out, though, which is probably what Tesla intended, while a Rivian looks very much like a conventional pickup.
That's how it strikes me too. I tend to prefer vehicles with a real sense of style or at least something understated and purposeful. In your face, odd angles, wings or unused vents really are a turnoff. It seems like there isn't a single angle of the Cybertruck that wasn't there just for the sharp angle and not another thought put into it. I can only imagine how much more efficient it could have been if was designed with that point in mind instead of engineering the vehicle to work with the design being a constraint.

Fastest peak charging so far on a Cybertruck. 330kW.

Courtesy of….. Electrify America. 😂

Interestingly enough monroe did a teardown and found that the seats and other things were bolted directly to the battery pack. Then its insalled from the bottom as the base. This seems like a really odd design choice. The rivian is built more like a conventional truck with an actual floor and battery pack.

I liked the video in post #21...with the usual criticisms for length and thinness of information.
I also appreciate those who are carefully and seemingly completely weighing all of the Cybertruck's attributes.

I'll go the cheap analogy route.
Once upon a time there was money around. People were buying framed "art" consisting of Buggs Bunny and Pepe' la Pew drawings.
You can substitute Lilyput Lane collectables and other such luxury items.
The Cybertruck was born out of that kind of excess. It's something stupid and worthless.
There's no design to it, therefore, no art.
The Fiskars interior alone has more art content than the Cybertruck.
I feel it's in the process of drying up and blowing away as the timeline of intelligently adapting electric technology to vehicles pans out.....ha-ha, I almost said, "takes shape".

Not sure if this is a repost, but here is a former BMW and Ferrari designer reviewing the cybertruck design aesthetic.

Sandy Monroe just performed a teardown and the battery pack is only half full. Pair this with a new lawsuit where the Muskrat tweeted (X'ed?) Slanderous statements this past week, and Teslas board of Directors are giving Musk small timeline to fix this snafu hopefully he gets canned sooner than later. Musk promised world-class towing, range, and bed capacity all while none of those figures have happened.

I actually saw a semi truck car hauler loaded with Cybertrucks go by the other direction Saturday. Must have been 6 to 8 of them on there.

First I have seen outside of pictures. Still ugly as sin.

Cybertruck deliveries halted because the pedal gets stuck.

Also, 10%+ layoffs today.

Just another small speedbump in the long road of success.

I'm not a fan of Elon, I certainly don't understand the extreme admiration he garners, but I don't understand that for any public figures. For some reason when I say it about Elon, it gets certain people really bent out of shape. So I make this comment understanding some here may take it weirdly as some kind of personal attack on their leader.

This truck is so ugly it makes me wonder if Elon did this just to see if his fans would actually buy something so hideously ugly and impractical as some kind of loyalty test to his fans. I don't know how they sold ANY Cyberturds.

There, grenade lobbed, incoming!

I'm not a fan of Elon, I certainly don't understand the extreme admiration he garners, but I don't understand that for any public figures. For some reason when I say it about Elon, it gets certain people really bent out of shape. So I make this comment understanding some here may take it weirdly as some kind of personal attack on their leader.

This truck is so ugly it makes me wonder if Elon did this just to see if his fans would actually buy something so hideously ugly and impractical as some kind of loyalty test to his fans. I don't know how they sold ANY Cyberturds.

There, grenade lobbed, incoming!
I agree 100%. Regarding Tesla dug their grave, IMO they did. As the saying goes, the best way out of a hole is to stop digging. Maybe Elon should consider that.

the battery pack is only half full.
That actually bodes well for future upgrades. It may in fact hit the target numbers with taller cells. The 4680 is a very impressive battery at nearly 300Wh/kg. Interestingly, the taller 4695 (Rivian and BMW) carries more energy than it's modest 15mm height increase would indicate. And the 46120 that BMW plans on using sure looks like it would fit in the CT.

One of the few modern vehicles destined to be a collectable classic, just like the inspirational pontiac aztek and DeLorean dmc-12.

Back