MTF Recommendation for 2012 Mazda Skyactiv 6MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
See posts 8 and 14 on this thread: https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/synthetic-mtx-fluid.441797/ It refers, latterly, to the TSB that is likely applicable to your '12. I think that it is applicable to all SkyActiv C66M-R 'boxes... CX5, M6, M3, maybe M3.

Also, see this: http://forum.mazda6club.com/mtx-transmission-discussion/297825-crunchy-manual-transmission-6.html This fellow believes that the shift cable neutralization worked wonders for him. See also the graphic, attached.

Shift Cable Neutralization.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by timoboy
*Update*

Used my Costco Membership parts discount (15%) at a different Mazda dealer that sells their parts for MSRP before discount (no markup), got OEM fluid for around $25/qt.

Car shifts like new. Literally "sucks" into the lower gears with gentle shifting. I didn't own the car new so I can only guess but it was stellar already with 165k. Now its better, considering its got the original clutch I think it wasn't abused so this is a very close approximation of new shift feel. I had a buddy who daily drives an S2000 try it, he was amazed how good the transmission in this thing is.

After refilling, I started up cold and put into reverse, could tell right away it was fixed, gear engagement N -> R -> 1 no problem. Silent operation and no noticeable difference between cold and warm just like I remembered with the old fluid.

Just some more very un-scientific observations:

OEM Mazda fluid is a dark amber with a strong gear oil odor. Sloshing in the bottle and pouring, it is definitely "thicker" than the MTL however flows just as quickly if not faster. When poured each drop bounces then spins around the funnel all the way down through the spout.

The non Skyactiv MT models use totally different transmissions and seem more tolerant of fluids outside OEM, we have a '06 5 with the 5MT, it has MT-90 and seems happy.

This is special stuff, very deserving of the $25-30 a bottle Mazda commands. If you have an early ('12-13+?) Skyactiv 6MT, I personally wouldn't use any other fluid, or change it prior to 100k, YMMV.

Timoboy, can you please tell me what part number or description the Mazda fluid is?

I have 2 graphics, attached. Is that the product?

Mazda Synthetic MTL 75W80 - Front of Container.jpg

Mazda Synthetic MTL 75W80 - Back of Container.jpg

Originally Posted by timoboy

I've driven later model Skyactiv 6MT models, and came away unimpressed, especially the pair of new 3 VIN hatches I tested that crunched into 1st and 2nd no matter what you did. As someone that works in vehicle logistics at the port that receives Mazda from Japan and Mexico, anyone that tells you they are made to the same standard doesn't know what they are talking about. The J VIN 6 was much better but still felt inferior to the early '12 6MT in mine. The CX5 while it was still available with the MT shifted very well also. The '19 J VIN 3 MT hatch is phenomenal. Once they come down in price I'll be looking for one used. Odd that they all use derivatives of the same c66 but such difference in feel, likely same fluid too. As you mentioned though, every manual is a bit different. None as bad as the 2nd gen XB I had though!

Timoboy, you are in a job, in Port Logistics, to be able to make experienced-based comments, to be sure. I would have thought that the actual transaxles are assembled in Japan... but I really should not say this, as, who-knows... maybe they are NOT assembled in Japan; maybe Mexico, maybe Thailand, China??? (I don't think, the latter).

The funny thing about my transaxle (and this aligns with what Timoboy says) - is both 1st gear and 2nd gear are not stellar. They will snatch and grind. The shifts, sometimes however, are good when aggressively shifted, rather than sympathetically shifted (by way of speed and force). I can certainly double-clutch into first, smoothly... but I don't want to HAVE TO super-accurately double-clutch both into first, at a slow-roll, or when shifting 1st to 2nd (i.e. up-shifting). The only reason I can figure why BOTH 1st and 2nd gear are lousy -- is that they are both triple-cone synchro assemblies. The balance of the speed-gears in this 'box are single cone, I believe, and they are all, totally, smooth-as-silk.

I stand by what I said: I think Mazda botched the design in their C66M-R 'box... with this 1st and 2nd gear crappy feel. Makes we wish I had bought a VW Jetta GLI, or another VW product, or a BMW with a Getrag 'box. That matter with the Mazda's 'box plus the relatively low-torque values at lower rpm's that the SkyActiv-G 2.5 engine exhibits...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back