MTF for Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the MTF on my wife's car at 98,000 miles. I noticed a big difference with the new Honda fluid. Some people say Redline MTL is better than the Honda fluid. Either way.....your 5 speed will be shifting much smoother.

You might also check out the friction modified version of the GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid. Most Honda guys swear by it being the best available.

I am going to drain my MTF on my 1996 Accord. I usually say Honda use Honda. But any other suggestions?

I have 88K miles on my Accord now and I plan on changing it here soon.

Thanks in advance!

do you think it would be alright to use that? I would try anything, my only fear is how picky Honda's are. I have two, I know!

But if there was something better for them I would use it in a heartbeat!

I bought the Honda MTF for $3.85/qt and my '88 takes 2.4 quarts. Seems like a no briainer every 30Kmi to me. The engine gets GC.
smile.gif

-brian

where did you get the Honda MTF for that price? It is 5 dollars at my stealer.

I bought the car used so I dont know if it has ever been done. I bought it off a retired Michigan State prof who said he followed the book. SO I am assuming it may have been done.

I am going to try the change myself. My BIL and I are going to do it. I have the helms manual and it looks pretty easy.

SF's MTL-P is a long-life, full synthetic, whereas Synchromesh and Honda HG MTL are primarily Group II/III oils.

Isnt that too thick? Cause my Helms says Honda MTF or 10W30 10W40 could be used temporialy.

I'm in northern Illinois, and just finished this winter with S.F. MTL P. This is a great trans lube, no doubt. No regrets.
There were no problems when really cold out, but yes, there was a difference in shifting compared to fully hot. But, show me a gear lube that doesn't behave a little differently at 0 F.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
I'm in northern Illinois, and just finished this winter with S.F. MTL P. This is a great trans lube, no doubt. No regrets.
There were no problems when really cold out, but yes, there was a difference in shifting compared to fully hot. But, show me a gear lube that doesn't behave a little differently at 0 F.

Good to know. I'm running RP right now, but it's too thin. It actually feels better when it's cold.

"I'm running RP right now, but it's too thin. It actually feels better when it's cold."

RP Synchromax has a viscosity of 7.5cst ... same as ATF and the lightest of Specialty Formulation's synchromesh gear lubes. It does appear to be way too thin for your application.

Best to carefully read that thread listed above. I think that explores this issue in as much detail as you are likely to find anywhere.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
"I'm running RP right now, but it's too thin. It actually feels better when it's cold."

RP Synchromax has a viscosity of 7.5cst ... same as ATF and the lightest of Specialty Formulation's synchromesh gear lubes. It does appear to be way too thin for your application.

Best to carefully read that thread listed above. I think that explores this issue in as much detail as you are likely to find anywhere.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

That's why I ran it in the winter. I'm going to swap it out once the weather warms up.

"I posted at a Honda site and they suggested Honda MTF."

You don't say?
pat.gif

I have a thousand or so posts at a handful of Honda sites over the past several years ... and none had a tenth the lubrication experience or know-how of this site.

I'd either use Red Line MTL ... or try Specialty formulation's Synchroglide. If I was a little further south, I'd use the MTL-P as MolaKule suggests ... or a mix of Red Line MTL and MT-90.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back