Mpm oil 0w20 are any good?

Hello felloilship,

Greetings from Greece.
I am an owner of the latest hyundai i20 bc3 that I bought on 2021 with the N/A engine.
So far except the stock oil, I have tryed LM 0w20 special tec aa and the Eneos 0w20 ultra, both Api-sp.
Now I have found at my hometown an dealer that sells Mpm Oils, I see they have on their website two options for my engine both Api-sp. The prices are eneos 75€, LM 45, mpm 45-55.
Am posting the specs and I wish someone more related with the numbers I see there to give me some kind of advise, if they look good or not so good.

Thank you in advance.
Kind regards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-04-16-24-59-308_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-04-16-24-59-308_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_2023-04-04-16-34-54-560_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-04-16-34-54-560_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 31
MPM is a repackager. They buy oil from another supplier in bulk and then repackage it in their own containers.

It will be an oil made by Shell, Castrol, Total or another supplier. Maybe they will tell you which if you ask or you can find the same specs from the original supplier.

MPM aims for a low price. You get what you pay for. Between those two 0w-20 oils, I would choose the EcoBlue.
The EcoBlue might be slightly better than the LM.

I do not like that the MPM did not hesitate to advertise at least some of their oils as "premium synthetic oil", while their safety sheets (MSDS) stated "highly refined mineral oil". In my book, this is very close to openly lying to the customer. LM is using better wording and in general, is a more serious brand.

One has to be careful to notice that MPM oils often do not have official approval (e.g. MB approvals), they just state "according to the specification", which is not the same. You almost need a lawyer to interpret their datasheets correctly and it really "does not spark joy".

If you look for an excellent 0w-20 you may want to look at: Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20.

In Greece, you have really hot temperatures and therefore my priorities would be:
- low Noack or high flashpoint,
- at least one of the more demanding approvals (e.g. MB229.71 or MB229.72 or Porsche C20) or, if not available, a premium product from a trusted brand.

If trying to find a good low-cost oil then I would look among Q8 products - they have excellent prices and very good datasheets.

As petr said greece is hot even in the winters and a car like that is gonna get city driven more and Hyundai's appreciate the thicker oil. I would have no problem running 5w-30. Cold flow is never an issue and a bit more hths for loads when accelerating harder is never a bad thing. As for oil quality the cheapest well rated oil is going to be more than good enough. I'd go with mpm or similar.

I also doubt the dealer would give you lip over it since the 2022 i10 owners manual here shows that almost everything under the sun can be poured into it. 0w-20 is purely for fuel economy. The engine didn't magically have to use api sp oil either. It was designed in the sn plus days so that can be used as well if still found on sale. But SP is better.

2022 i10.jpg

First of all thank you all for your time to answer.

@JavierH19 thank you for opinion you look well educated on Oils, although changing oil type in a new vehicle other that the manual, and official dealerships use and suggest is quite stressfull thought.

The manual have changed from previous model unless by mistake you searched for i10 instead of i20 that I actually own.
The actual kappa engine of hyundai is pretty old, also the older model (i20 gb, they suggest 5w30 to that) had excalty the same hp and cc and has a good reputation regarding the reliabilty of it. The chain holds up to 100k miles and even more with frequently oci.

Thank you all again.
Kind regards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-04-22-12-42-830_com.google.android.apps.docs-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-04-22-12-42-830_com.google.android.apps.docs-edit.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 9
First of all thank you all for your time to answer.

@JavierH19 thank you for opinion you look well educated on Oils, although changing oil type in a new vehicle other that the manual, and official dealerships use and suggest is quite stressfull thought.

The manual have changed from previous model unless by mistake you searched for i10 instead of i20 that I actually own.
The actual kappa engine of hyundai is pretty old, also the older model (i20 gb, they suggest 5w30 to that) had excalty the same hp and cc and has a good reputation regarding the reliabilty of it. The chain holds up to 100k miles and even more with frequently oci.

Thank you all again.
Kind regards.
Ah I did search up i10 instead of 20. But the engine architecture is the same and so is the oil recommendation. I'd stick to regular 30 grade changes and not worry too much about price and brand name. Even the cheapest SN plus or SP rated 30 grade being changed appropriately will make them last a long time. I know people who get 3-5k oil changes using cheap conventional or synthetic blend and they go hundreds of thousands of miles without even oil consumption.

Back