Move Over, Michelin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelin needs a new Pilot Exalto A/S...

Quote:

May 28, 2010

Tires tested:
Firestone Precision Sport (205/55R16 91H High Performance All-Season)

* What We Liked: Balanced handling when pressed to its handling limits
* What We'd Improve: A small reduction in tread noise, and an increase in wet grip
* Conclusion: A High Performance All-Season tire that should work well in the snow
* Latest Test Rank: 4th
* Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (205/55R16 91H High Performance All-Season)

* What We Liked: Composed road manners
* What We'd Improve: A small improvement in wet traction
* Conclusion: A class-leader that holds its own against the new challengers
* Latest Test Rank: 3rd
* Previous Test Rank: 3rd (June '08), 1st (April '05)

Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (205/55R16 91H High Performance All-Season)

* What We Liked: Exceptionally quiet ride
* What We'd Improve: A small improvement in linear steering response
* Conclusion: A very good High Performance All-Season tire
* Latest Test Rank: 2nd

Yokohama AVID ENVigor (205/55R16 91H High Performance All-Season)

* What We Liked: Excellent wet and dry traction
* What We'd Improve: A small improvement in ride comfort
* Conclusion: A well-rounded package with very good traction and reasonable road manners
* Latest Test Rank: 1st

Vehicles used:
2011 BMW E92 328i Coupe

High Performance All-Season tires are designed to meet the needs of drivers who are looking for sporty handling that doesn't abandon ride quality and treadlife, while still retaining traction in all four seasons. Sounds simple enough in theory, but in practice becomes much more challenging for the tire engineers.

To find out if new designs are really an improvement over established favorites, we conducted a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track drive to compare three new tires - Firestone's Precision Sport, the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 and Yokohama AVID ENVigor - with a long-time consumer favorite according to our online driver survey results, the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Our evaluation used four identical 2011 BMW E92 328i coupes, with new, full tread depth 205/55R16 tires mounted on 16x7.5" wheels.

What We Learned on the Road

Our 6.6-mile loop of expressway, state highway and county roads provides a great variety of road conditions that include city and highway speeds, smooth and coarse concrete, as well as new and patched asphalt. This route allows our team to experience noise comfort, ride quality and everyday handling, just as you would during your drive to school or work.

Out on the road we found all four tires drove well. Our team gave the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S high marks for its responsive handling. Close behind was the Yokohama AVID ENVigor with a nice, linear feel to the way it responded to steering inputs. The Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 displayed quick response to small inputs, but seemed to lag a bit as a larger turn of the steering wheel was made. The Firestone Precision Sport rounded out the group, with slightly slower steering response.

The HTR A/S P01 showed a small advantage over the others for overall ride comfort, doing a good job minimizing the harshness of impacts. Right on its heels was the AVID ENVigor, which also kept much of the road's harshness away from the driver. The Pilot Exalto A/S allowed some of the smaller bumps to be felt, while the Precision Sport produced a small thwack felt as it encountered potholes and other larger impacts.

The HTR A/S P01 showed a noticeable advantage for road noise, doing the best job at hiding the sound of the tread pattern as the tire rolled over the road's fine texture. The Pilot Exalto A/S also did a very good job minimizing any annoying drone. The AVID ENVigor produced a little more tread noise, while the aggressive-looking tread pattern of the Precision Sport generated some noticeable growl across most surfaces. While not tested here, we expect the aggressive tread pattern of the Precision Sport will pay back come wintertime with good snow traction.

What We Learned on the Test Track

Our 1/3-mile per lap test track course includes 90-degree street corners, lane changes and simulated expressway ramps. Run in both dry and wet conditions, the test track allows our team to experience the traction, responsiveness, handling and drivability normally only encountered during abrupt emergency avoidance maneuvers or competition events.

In dry conditions, the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 shined with quick steering response, good cornering traction and short braking distances which helped this tire post the quickest lap time. The Yokohama AVID ENVigor was close behind, feeling predictable and stable. Subjectively, the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S felt faster than it was, seeming to go about its business with apparent ease. But its overall lap time was just behind the Firestone Precision Sport which was able to lap our handling course a little faster according to the timing equipment, but did not feel quite as composed.

In the wet, the Yokohama and Sumitomo tires switched positions, with a small advantage going to the AVID ENVigor. Both handled well, displaying good overall traction and excellent stability during hard cornering and braking. The Pilot Exalto A/S was also easy to control at the limit, but simply lacked the overall grip of the Yokohama and Sumitomo tires. Rounding out the group was the Precision Sport, which also didn't have the overall grip of the leaders, but was well-tuned and reasonably easy for our team to drive at its limit.

Fuel Consumption Results

Our Real World Road Ride uses a 6.6-mile loop of public roads with little elevation change. It includes 65 mph expressway, 55 mph state highway and 40 mph county roads along with two stop signs and one traffic light every lap. Our team drove approximately 500 miles over the course of several days.

Since we wanted to compare fuel consumption results that typical drivers would experience, our drivers were instructed to maintain the flow of traffic by running at the posted speed limits and sustain the vehicle's speed using cruise control whenever possible. They did not use hypermiling techniques to influence vehicle fuel economy.

The observed vehicle fuel economy recorded while driving on each tire is shown here:
Tire Line Test
MPG* Gallons/Year
@ 15,000 Miles % vs. Most Efficient
Firestone Precision Sport 28.0 535.1 -2.43%
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 28.2 532.1 -1.86%
Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 27.9 537.1 -2.83%
Yokohama AVID ENVigor 28.7 522.4 ---
* Our evaluation used Linear Logic ScanGauge II automotive computers to record fuel consumption and Race Technology DL1 data loggers to record true distance travelled.

While none of the tires in this test were designed with low rolling resistance as a high-priority, differences in their rolling resistance did influence our observed vehicle fuel economy. Based on our results the 0.8 mile per gallon difference between our lowest and highest observed fuel economy would result in an annual difference of about 15 gallons of premium gasoline. At the current cost of $2.75/gallon, it would amount to about $41.25 for drivers traveling 15,000 miles a year.

It's important to note that this fuel consumption evaluation followed consistent procedures designed to minimize variables that might impact the results, but it was not an exhaustive long-range fuel consumption study. Larger differences in consumption between tires may indicate a difference that might be experienced on the road, while smaller differences should be considered equivalent. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Product Details

Firestone Precision Sport (205/55R16 91H High Performance All-Season): The Precision Sport is Firestone's High Performance All-Season tire developed to deliver year-round performance for the drivers of sport cars, coupes and sedans. The Precision Sport is designed to blend treadwear, handling and traction on dry and wet roads, as well as in light snow. Read more.

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (205/55R16 91H High Performance All-Season): Pilot Exalto A/S radials are the entry-level High Performance All-Season members of Michelin's Pilot family of performance tires. Pilot Exalto A/S radials are designed for sports cars, coupes and sedans to blend responsive handling and long wear with year-round traction, even in light snow. Read more.

Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (205/55R16 91H High Performance All-Season): The Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (High Tech Radial, All-Season, Premium 1st Generation) tire line includes H- and V-speed rated High Performance All-Season radials developed to meet the year-round driving needs of sports car, coupe and sedan drivers by blending dry and wet road performance with all-season wintertime traction. The HTR A/S P01 radials use Sumitomo's high-tech materials and manufacturing methods to blend high performance with year-round traction, even in light snow. Read more.

Yokohama AVID ENVigor (205/55R16 91H High Performance All-Season): The Yokohama AVID ENVigor tire line includes H- and V-speed rated High Performance All-Season radials developed to meet the year-round driving needs of sports car, coupe, sedan and crossover drivers. AVID ENVigor tires are designed to combine performance, comfort and treadlife along with year-round traction, even on light snow-covered roads. Read more.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=129&

The best tires 5-6 years ago usually does not perform as well compare with newer tires from a reputable companies. Tires technologies are improved fairly fast that why I am usually looking for newer tires when I need to replace my current tires.

I'm impressed that the Michelin scored so well compared to its new rivals. The Pilot Exalto A/S is, what, 8 years old now? The Sumitomo and Yokohama barely squeaked passed it. I agree that the Pilot Exalto A/S is a bit passed due for replacement or updating, but geez, what a good showing for a tire that's almost a decade old now.

The real test, of course, comes when you actually put a set on your car and live with them for three or four years.
This is where Michelins always shine.

TR tends to always praise the new kid (tire) on the block, probably to give it its 15 minutes of fame and help get the sales going. Until another new tire comes along...

One thing I notice about the TR survey and review is that they tends to be great when the sample size is new and the mileage driven is short. When it reaches higher mileage or the end of life, the numbers tend to drop by about 0.5 to 1 points.

Not fair to compare between old and new tires of different generation as a result.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think it is right to compare the current top rated tire with the new comers.

You then have to look at the survey entries at the lower miles than the higher miles to avoid a skewed result from the overall numbers on the TR.

Michelins are over rated. Not bad tires, but no better than some of the competition.

I have had good service with Michelin cross terrains. I decided to try the General Grabber HTS. Time will tell, currently the ride as well and handle just as well in the rain. Will they last 50k like the Michelins? We will see.

My experience is Bridgestone & Michelin tires perform very well over their entire life. Maintaining the same level of noise and wet traction as they age.

Buying cheaper tires usually means a quick honeymoon but then rough marriage. This has been my experience with Sumitomo, Falken, and Kumho in the past.

Stock Bridgestones on our vans run less than 25k before needing replacement. I've purchased most major brands and never been impressed.

Michelin LTX run around 50-60k. TOTALLY transforms the trucks! Seems worth it to me.

You guys all get to buy whatever you want. But on my personal trucks and my fleet we only run Michelins.

Your mileage may vary

The Yoko Avid Env will definitely be given consideration as replacements for the OE Michelin's on my Accord. And for the price (low), it appears to be quite a value, a lot of tire for the money.

I put a set of the AVIDs on the Subaru, same size as the TireRack tested, and they are very nice tires for the money. They handle better than the OEM Bridgestone RE92s, and fuel mileage improved a little bit.

Quote:
I'd still take the Michelin.
In my size, 215/50/17, the Michelins (H rated) are $152 vs $117 (V rated)for the Yoko's. Subtract the $70 Mich rebate, and they are $134.50. (Tire Rack prices)

Are the Michelins worth $17.50 a tire more? Perhaps that's why I've never bought a Michelin tire as a replacement. Always looking for value, I've never been able to justify the Mich price premium in my own mind. Just me.

Fwiw, the BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S H&V at $123 with $60 rebate, $108 a tire also look like a decent value in the High Performance All Season category.

The Sumitomo at $92 is the least expensive, but has the lowest UTQG rating, 360 vs 560 for the Yoko.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Are the Michelins worth $17.50 a tire more? Perhaps that's why I've never bought a Michelin tire as a replacement. Always looking for value, I've never been able to justify the Mich price premium in my own mind. Just me.

Since you've never bought Michelin, then you really can't opine if the quality of Michelin tires is worth X dollars more... or not.

Quote:
Since you've never bought Michelin, then you really can't opine if the quality of Michelin tires is worth X dollars more... or not.
Actually having had Michelins as OE on two Honda's I can opine based on those experiences, which have been far less than stellar. The current OE Mich Pilot HX MXM4 which list for $198 at TR has been a very poor wearing tire which will be lucky to make ~30k. Certainly not an indication of their tires across the line but it is what I've experienced.

Never said Michelin doesn't make quality tires, just haven't been able to bring myself (yet) to pay the price premium as a replacement. And, the point was in the form of a question, with an explanation of why I haven't purchased them. Not casting judgement on others who do, thus the, just me comment.

fwiw, as this is a message board others have expressed opinions with far less information than I provided.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm impressed that the Michelin scored so well compared to its new rivals. The Pilot Exalto A/S is, what, 8 years old now? .......

I believe the Exalto AS came to market no earlier than 2006. When I bought a set of Exalto PE2 summer tires in 2005, I don't recall an AS version being available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back