Move Over, Michelin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Actually having had Michelins as OE on two Honda's I can opine based on those experiences, which have been far less than stellar. The current OE Mich Pilot

I used to run Pilots on a Vette and RARELY got to 10k miles!

But they were great tires.

I suspect the variables from one application to the next are too great for meaningful comparisons between us.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Actually having had Michelins as OE on two Honda's I can opine based on those experiences, which have been far less than stellar. The current OE Mich Pilot

I used to run Pilots on a Vette and RARELY got to 10k miles!

But they were great tires.
WOW < 10K! ~30K's not looking so bad then.
lol.gif

Treadwear is rather an important factor to me but I understand for an enthusiast it's likely not a priority. I had have no complaints about the tires otherwise, but I haven't found them spectacular enough to want to purchase them again, especially not at ~$200 each in my size. While I realize the TR survey ratings are not infallable, judging from their rating on TR, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

So different strokes for different folks. I've just never been one for needing to have the best, or perceived best, with price being no factor. But, that's just me.

The current OE Mich Pilot HX MXM4 which list for $198 at TR has been a very poor wearing tire which will be lucky to make ~30k. Certainly not an indication of their tires across the line but it is what I've experienced.

OE tires are not the best representation of a tire manufacturer's capabilities. OE tires, regardless of supplier, are built to specs asked by from the auto manufacturer. CapriRacer, a tire engineer, discusses the topic in this thread. Read the last 10-15 posts:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1131182

Quote:
OE tires are not the best representation of a tire manufacturer's capabilities. OE tires, regardless of supplier, are built to specs asked by from the auto manufacturer.
And, I am aware of that and have posted a comment on another thread recently about not judging all tires in a tire line by OE equipment. The response was to a comment regarding giving an opinion.

Again, I'm sure Michelin make some fine tires, I just haven't found a replacement tire yet, that in my perception offers me the value I'm looking for. Perhaps down the road.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
My experience is Bridgestone & Michelin tires perform very well over their entire life. Maintaining the same level of noise and wet traction as they age.

Buying cheaper tires usually means a quick honeymoon but then rough marriage. This has been my experience with Sumitomo, Falken, and Kumho in the past.

When I bought my car, it had Michelin Pilots with uneven wear (probably due to bad alignment and no rotations) with maybe 3/32 tread left. I drove through rain at highway speeds and the car still handled confidently. If I had the money, I would buy Michelins, but even the lower end brands are expensive in my size.

Still, if I'm going to pay ~$200, which is the highest priced all season tire at TR in my size, ~30K max (w/reg rotations) is not acceptable to me. Just doesn't fit with my value mindset. For others though, it may be just fine.

I have the Exalto A/S on my daily driver Civic and they are solid tires. I got them on sale at America's Tires along with a $70 Michelin rebate.

No complaints with them, given my needs and situation.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
My experience is Bridgestone & Michelin tires perform very well over their entire life. Maintaining the same level of noise and wet traction as they age.

Buying cheaper tires usually means a quick honeymoon but then rough marriage. This has been my experience with Sumitomo, Falken, and Kumho in the past.

My experience has been the same.

OE tires are not the best representation of a tire manufacturer's capabilities. OE tires, regardless of supplier, are built to specs asked by from the auto manufacturer.

I can confirm this based on an article that I read several months ago. Oh! what do you think the specs are-----hint: cheap.

Quote:

I can confirm this based on an article that I read several months ago. Oh! what do you think the specs are-----hint: cheap.
Then perhaps you could explain to me why the OE Michelin Pilots HX MXM4's are the highest priced tire in the 215/50R17 size at TR at ~$200. Doesn't seem cheap to me, at least not price wise.
21.gif

Quote:

Then perhaps you could explain to me why the OE Michelin Pilots HX MXM4's are the highest priced tire in the 215/50R17 size at TR at ~$200. Doesn't seem cheap to me, at least not price wise.
21.gif

When you buy 800,000 of one tire number you get a decent price break.

Doesn't seem cheap to me, at least not price wise.
21.gif

My guess is they are banking on some folks being naive enough to think that buying what the manufacturer put on the car as a replacement is the "best" thing.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The real test, of course, comes when you actually put a set on your car and live with them for three or four years.
This is where Michelins always shine.

Couldn't agree more. Not saying I haven't been very satisfied with other brands as well, but Michelin has always been a consistently good experience for me for their entire lifespan. I've also been very happy with Pirelli as well. Brands such as Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Goodyear...not so much.

In my mind, even an extra $200 on a set of four is worth it. I can't understand the mentality some people have regarding tires. They will spend $50 on a Royal Purple/K&N oil change every 3K miles and then balk at an extra $30 per tire every 40-50K.

To me saying one brand of tire is better than the other is like saying a DELL is better than an HP because you had a DELL Pentium 4 and an HP Celeron, not exactly comparing apple to apple, especially when comparing OE tire to aftermarket. Even the same named model of tires can be different between OE and aftermarket.

I'd stick with user based feedback / review / survey and price between similar tires every day.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad

My guess is they are banking on some folks being naive enough to think that buying what the manufacturer put on the car as a replacement is the "best" thing.

I agree with your view, my neighbor replaced her OEM GY Integrity, which is near the bottom of TireRack survey of Passenger All-Season, with another Integrity at a Honda dealer for more than $600 out the door for her 2004-2005 Honda Pilot. She could get a much better tire at America Tires for a lot less money, but she believe OEM tires at Honda dealer is best.

I miss my Exaltos. They were a happy balance between performance and MPG and for the first 50% of tread I had no problem on my biweekly Tahoe runs.

The Bridgestones I have now are better in terms of grip and wet performance but I saw a HUGE MPG drop. Integrities are pure garbage - they shouldn't make those anymore.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I agree with your view, my neighbor replaced her OEM GY Integrity, which is near the bottom of TireRack survey of Passenger All-Season, with another Integrity at a Honda dealer for more than $600 out the door for her 2004-2005 Honda Pilot. She could get a much better tire at America Tires for a lot less money, but she believe OEM tires at Honda dealer is best.

The Goodyear Integrity isn't necessarily the worst choice in tires, given a certain set of conditions. Consider this Tire Rack test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=121

Among some well-known competitors, including the highly acclaimed Michelin HydroEdge, the Integrity had the best dry braking and best dry skidpad. Wet traction compared with its peers was rather shameful. But in an area like southern California or the desert southwest, or any other area where wet weather isn't a concern, the Integrity isn't necessarily the worst choice you can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back