Move over Enzo, the Veyron tops out at 253 mph!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredible car. How does that car go that fast on wet roads without hydroplaning?

Quote:

Quote:

Clearly you admire the Veyron greatly, and I admit it is a dream machine for many people, but you should not use your standing as administrator to attempt to censor members with legitimate observations that differ from yours about a topic. These days that is the stuff of legal action, though I for one would not do that. Lock this thread if you must, but I believe your response to my comments was uncalled for.

You want to give me a break? When you start trying to turn the discussion about a high performance machine into a debate about speed vs 50 mpg family sedans, then I'll call you on it. Your comments were wrapped up in PC "oil fields running dry" and "energy problems right around the corner" so don't play innocent.

...and he's not even from La-La land, no less!! You GO G-MAN!!!
cool.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

The difference between the Veyron and Black Barts Vette, is that we have proof one will run the number.

I see you live in ILL.
I live three hours from Chicago if you care to drive down here I wil take you for a ride.
I will even furnish the depends you will need them.

Quote:

Quote:

The difference between the Veyron and Black Barts Vette, is that we have proof one will run the number.

I see you live in ILL.
I live three hours from Chicago if you care to drive down here I wil take you for a ride.
I will even furnish the depends you will need them.

No thanks, I'm not that stupid. As simple in car vid will do fine thanks.

The video is amazing. It may be just a glimmer of an approximation, but it does give some small sense of what it is like to drive at that speed.

Even as a total bleeding heart "greenie," I can't help but to love that car. Sorry, but, as Whitman said, "Do I contradict myself. Very well then, I am large."

Quote:

Quote:

They would make it go faster and easily could, but the tires couldn't handle it. They will actually send you a new set of tires if you with to attempt a top speed run.

Easily could? I doubt that. It's taking every bit of the engine's 1001 hp to push that thing to 250 mph, and I'd be willing to bet the engine is at its design limit for max power.

Just like any turbo'd vehicle, there is always a margin of safety built in the ECU for your poor Snails. Getting the engine "chipped" basically removes those fail safes and lets them really do their job. With the necessity of 8 radiators, I really wouldn't want to see more power out of that thing, but I know it's there hiding behind that computer.
Welcome to the dark side!
darth_vader.gif

Quote:

I'd just assume have an R8. More my style....sporty vs luxo.

I had to do a double take to realize what you meant: "I'd just as soon have an R8."
wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They would make it go faster and easily could, but the tires couldn't handle it. They will actually send you a new set of tires if you with to attempt a top speed run.

Easily could? I doubt that. It's taking every bit of the engine's 1001 hp to push that thing to 250 mph, and I'd be willing to bet the engine is at its design limit for max power.

Just like any turbo'd vehicle, there is always a margin of safety built in the ECU for your poor Snails. Getting the engine "chipped" basically removes those fail safes and lets them really do their job. With the necessity of 8 radiators, I really wouldn't want to see more power out of that thing, but I know it's there hiding behind that computer.
Welcome to the dark side!
darth_vader.gif

Which is why I said the engine is at its design limit at this power level.

You guys might lol, but it's amazing that the sound of the engine is totally not unlike the sound of my W8 Passat. Must be that W configuration that gives out some specific note. Somewhat like typical V8 groul but not exactly.

Quote:

You guys might lol, but it's amazing that the sound of the engine is totally not unlike the sound of my W8 Passat. Must be that W configuration that gives out some specific note. Somewhat like typical V8 groul but not exactly.

Given that the Veyron engine is basically two of your engines put together in a V configuration, I don't find your observation surprising at all.
thumbsup.gif

Edit: When I wrote the above I had the VR6 engine in mind, hence the "put together in a V configuration." The Bentley W12 and the Phaeton W12 are based on two VR6s put together in a V configuration. The W16 in the Veyron is based on two W8s put together longitudinally.

Last edited:
Quote:

Incredible car. How does that car go that fast on wet roads without hydroplaning?

The car is very heavy and its rear spoiler applies downward pressure, forcing the tires on to the pavement.

My question is, what kind of motor oil does it use?

Quote:

Quote:

The car is very heavy and its rear spoiler applies downward pressure, forcing the tires on to the pavement.

My question is, what kind of motor oil does it use?

Factory fill is Castrol Edge 10w60.

400-417345.jpg

I suspect they specify 10w60 because of the high oil temps this engine no doubt runs at if you really push it. For the type driving the average person who buys one of these would do, 10w30 would probably be just fine. As an example, Dr Haas is running 0w30 in his Enzo, and Ferrari specs 10w60 for that.

I don't have a lot of faith in the W arrangement. Crank flex and harmonics are issues that, afaik, have not been solved.

Quote:

I don't have a lot of faith in the W arrangement. Crank flex and harmonics are issues that, afaik, have not been solved.

I think the Bentley GT and the Bugatti Veyron (not to mention the Phaeton and A8) are pretty good evidence that any "issues" with the W arrangement have been worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back