Move over Enzo, the Veyron tops out at 253 mph!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

That sounds beastly!

Sorta sounds like a V8, but sufficiently different that you know it's not.

Whatever one's opinion of a $1.2M car, there is no doubt this is an engineering masterpiece. The VW team behind this project should be justifiably proud.

You are easily impressed.

I don't have a degree in engineering but I built a Corvette
that will run faster than the Veyron

It is also much quicker on acceleration and I only have 1/10th the money invested.

I live 45 miles from Lingenfelter Performance Engineering in Decatur,Indian and they just built a Corvette that is pushing near 1500hp that makes my 1178 hp look wimpy.

I know of a guy that has a Corvette that he drives on the street and it makes 1740hp to the rear wheels.

I have seen 264 mph with my car but it was not a cake walk it was very difficult to drive.

I was on the edge of control. That is the impressive part of the Veyron is the handling not the power.

American hot rodder's can easily make that kind of power.
The reason I'm only making 1178hp with my car is I wanted to keep It reliable I drive it on the street.

I love the look on the face of the people that try me with their exotic imports when I open a fresh can of whip A$$ on them.
grin.gif

For those who have tons of money and not a clue as how to do it buying one of these Mega Buck cars is the only way but it is really more satisfying to beat them with something that you built yourself.

Not only do you get new speed tires when they disable the governor, they send a team to install them for you....on their lunch break from Pep Boys.

Quote:

Quote:

Easily could? I doubt that. It's taking every bit of the engine's 1001 hp to push that thing to 250 mph, and I'd be willing to bet the engine is at its design limit for max power.

Was thinking along similar lines, except when I saw how easily it hit the top speed on "only" (remember he had to stop) 5 miles.

My time playing flat out with modified cars was that the last few km/hr took a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to get.

They appeared pretty quickly IMHO on VW's own secret test track.

And the comments that it didn't feel to be on the ragged edge lead you to believe that the car wasn't at the ragged edge.

I think you need to watch the video again. It takes several seconds for the car to breach the magic 407 kmh number once he gets up to the 405-406 range. He's even verbally coaxing it along. There is no indication he was about to run out of straight road.

I think the car was at its max under those conditions and on that road.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That sounds beastly!

Whatever one's opinion of a $1.2M car, there is no doubt this is an engineering masterpiece. The VW team behind this project should be justifiably proud.

It is also much quicker on acceleration and I only have 1/10th the money invested.

I live 45 miles from Lingenfelter Performance Engineering in Decatur,Indian and they just built a Corvette that is pushing near 1500hp that makes my 1178 hp look wimpy.

I know of a guy that has a Corvette that he drives on the street and it makes 1740hp to the rear wheels.

I have seen 264 mph with my car but it was not a cake walk it was very difficult to drive.

I was on the edge of control. That is the impressive part of the Veyron is the handling not the power.

The reason I'm only making 1178hp with my car is I wanted to keep It reliable I drive it on the street.

I love the look on the face of the people that try me with their exotic imports when I open a fresh can of whip A$$ on them.
grin.gif

For those who have tons of money and not a clue as how to do it buying one of these Mega Buck cars is the only way but it is really more satisfying to beat them with something that you built yourself.

I hear yah...Like big deal!! We take a new Z06 to Lingenfelter, spend 50-60000 more on modes and do the same thing, and, it would be reliable....ENzo/Veyron, for a limited few rich with more $$ than brains...
dunno.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That sounds beastly!

grin.gif

I hear yah...Like big deal!! We take a new Z06 to Lingenfelter, spend 50-60000 more on modes and do the same thing, and, it would be reliable....ENzo/Veyron, for a limited few rich with more $$ than brains...
dunno.gif

I'm always impressed with people who have to deride another vehicle in order to praise their own.
yawn.gif

If you can't confine your comments (both of you) to the topic of this thread (which is not Corvettes, highly modified or stock), then please don't post in it. That's fair enough, don't you think?

I wish I could be impressed. Ten years ago I would have been. But the energy problems that are right around the corner, and the reality of speed limits in almost every place, mean that a lot of engineering talent and money were squandered to build the Veyron. A 250-mph car is irrelevant here when the highest maximum speed limit is 80 mph on some Texas interstates.

The talent and $ would have been far better used to try to develop a large family sedan that can get, say, 50 mpg. Wouldn't have been as exciting as the Veyron, but it might have helped forestall the even bigger excitement when certain Middle East oil fields start to run dry.
frown.gif

What's with the Europeans, anyway? They're supposed to be more attuned to this issue than we in North America are....

If this thread is going to turn "green" and politically correct it's going to get locked, too.

Good grief people...

Yeah, not much of an assembly line. Looks like they are built one at a time. Engine is hand assembled, too.

G-MAN
Administrator

If you can't confine your comments (both of you) to the topic of this thread (which is not Corvettes, highly modified or stock), then please don't post in it. That's fair enough, don't you think?
------------------------------------------------------------

I think what I posted was on topic.
I pointed out that it is possible to have a faster car for far less money. Or to look at it another way I'm not as impressed as you are with the Veyron especially when you consider the price.
But if you want to lock this thread because that everyone don't agree with you then lock it

Quote:

G-MAN
Administrator

------------------------------------------------------------

I think what I posted was on topic.
I pointed out that it is possible to have a faster car for far less money. Or to look at it another way I'm not as impressed as you are with the Veyron especially when you consider the price.
But if you want to lock this thread because that everyone don't agree with you then lock it

smirk.gif

Quote:

I don't have a degree in engineering but I built a Corvette that will run faster than the Veyron

That sounds awesome. Could you make a new thread with some pics of the car & the engine, and some specs, and some up close pics of whatever you added to it?

I would be all over that. thanks
smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have a degree in engineering but I built a Corvette that will run faster than the Veyron

That sounds awesome. Could you make a new thread with some pics of the car & the engine, and some specs, and some up close pics of whatever you added to it?

I would be all over that. thanks
smile.gif

I sent you a PM with a link to photos.

G-MAN, I believe my comments were relevant and nonpolitical, and I'm certainly no "green". I'm simply not gaga over hyperexpensive vehicles with capabilities that virtually no one can legally use when the automotive world has far more pressing engineering needs than yet another irrelevant 200+ mph machine. Speed capability compared to legal speeds deserves criticism as we've seen Enzos wrecked by idiots who tried to use their capabilities illegally on public roads, and I'll bet a Veyron or two meets the same fate.

Clearly you admire the Veyron greatly, and I admit it is a dream machine for many people, but you should not use your standing as administrator to attempt to censor members with legitimate observations that differ from yours about a topic. These days that is the stuff of legal action, though I for one would not do that. Lock this thread if you must, but I believe your response to my comments was uncalled for.

There is more than one way to put a wood screw in. The corvette V8 approach is to slam it in with a sledgehammer. The Veyron drives it in with a top of the line dewalt cordless drill. There is a big difference even though the end result is the same. No matter what you do to a chevrolet it will never be in the same class as these supercars. Will say in that airplane race, they must of had an awful slow airplane.

Quote:

Clearly you admire the Veyron greatly, and I admit it is a dream machine for many people, but you should not use your standing as administrator to attempt to censor members with legitimate observations that differ from yours about a topic. These days that is the stuff of legal action, though I for one would not do that. Lock this thread if you must, but I believe your response to my comments was uncalled for.

You want to give me a break? When you start trying to turn the discussion about a high performance machine into a debate about speed vs 50 mpg family sedans, then I'll call you on it. Your comments were wrapped up in PC "oil fields running dry" and "energy problems right around the corner" so don't play innocent.

That Veyron is a marvel of a machine....all be it a bit like the Hulk! Campared to the Enzo which is move Silver Surfer like...
Have you seen the fluid capacities of that beast...??!!Scary!!

I am still a McLaren F1 / LM fan, to me its just more of a purists machine. In fact Gordon Murray (the designer) did some calculations to see where that BMW v 12 would have placed if it were twin turbo'ed (the Veyron has 4 turbo's)....figures around 1300HP where derived at around 1 BAR of boost and thus deemed reliable....
laugh.gif

The difference between the Veyron and Black Barts Vette, is that we have proof one will run the number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back