motorcycle and car oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sunruh
i drink it for breakfast.

right now im testing M1 0w40.

Well given its stout detergent package, I would assume it works well to clean you out. Gotta keep all the sludge out of you. Who needs fiber powder when you got Delvac? LOL

Friction modifiers is the big issue. My friend ran Castrol 5W-30 in his R1 for like 4 years and had no issues at all. No clutch slippage or anything. Me personally will stick with motorcycle and diesel oil in my bike.

Speaking very generally:
Bike oils have additives like zinc, phosphorus, boron in greater quantities. They have a reduced level of friction modifiers, if any, to avoid any wet clutch issues. Perhaps the most important thing is that they contain less VI in order to combat shearing in a shared sump application. Car oils are designed to shear a bit for improved fuel economy. When used in a shared-sump bike they will tend to have the nuts sheared out of them, often by a full grade or more.

Like I said earlier, huge generalizations there. Car/truck oils like Rotella T 15W-40 tend to hold up well in bikes. Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic, while superior in a car/truck application, shears majorly in shared sumps and is probably not a great idea unless your bike specs an xW-30.

Fire away, internets :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back