Motorcraft oil in a Jeep 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Has anyone used Motorcraft oil in a Jeep with the 4.0? I just started reading about Motorcraft oil, and it seems to be good. I know the filters are highly regarded. If anyone has used this oil with good luck let me know. I know Valvoline pretty much returns excellent UOAs for the 4.0. Thanks for viewing and any possible help!

Why wouldn't it be good? as long as you use the right grade req'd there almost isn't an oil that won't do well in that engine (including Bullseye Brand)...lol

Run any major brand oil with confidence in that engine Motorcraft most definitely included.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Since1941
Hello,

If anyone has used this oil with good luck let me know.

What do you mean by "Good Luck"? I don't understand motor oil and good luck...

If you do use it, you will be risking a major disaster. How big well, try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Seriously though, it is a decent enough synth blend. Use it with confidence. If you can get it cheaper than most other brands, then use it.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm using a Motorcraft filter on my Jeep 4.0.

Excelent choice. What fits the jeep 4.0 anyway, FL1A?

In almost all applications, yes. The boos show the short version, but the full-length L30001 / PL30001 / 51515/ FL1A (pick your interchange) has the same gasket, fitting, and bypass pressure specs, but more filter media and volume.

To the original question about oil: MC is a good quality blend, and the Jeep 4.0 isn't terribly picky. It tends to like thicker oils (don't bother experimenting with 20-weights on that engine) and shows good UOAs with HDEOs also. You see a lot of good 4 liter UOAs with Rotella T5 and T6.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm using a Motorcraft filter on my Jeep 4.0.

Excelent choice. What fits the jeep 4.0 anyway, FL1A?

I've got two '96 Jeep Cherokees with the 4.0 engine. I've used Trop-Artic oil in mine (Motorcraft and Trop-Artic are both made by Conoco-Phillips and are almost clone oils) and while the FL1A probably could work, because of space limitation, I used the shorted versions of the FL1A. The area Orscheln stores had sub-$2/qt Trop-Artic and I've stocked up.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was just looking to hear some opinions about people's experience. I understand from UOAs, that some oils just do better in the 4.0. I haven't heard much about this oil and that engine. Thanks to everyone who has replied

Use it without any worries or concerns. The beauty of this engine is that it is one of the least picky when it comes to oil selection. It can run a very wide variety of weights and brands, and all return decent results. I've settled on running a name brand 5w30/10w30 (depending on the season) in my '88 Cherokee.

I have one of the "odd" applications that does cannot run the FL1A or shorter equivalents. The 87-90 "renix" era cherokees get a Metric thread oil filter. It can be converted, but not a real big deal.

I have been putting motorcraft 5w30 and an fl842 MC filter in my mom's 4.0 cherokee for 8 years now. No problems or consumption issues yet.

Last edited:
The Motorcraft oil has API certification, so it means it has everything your engine needs, and nothing it doesn't.

Don't be afraid to use Motorcraft oil outside of Fords. Many people have used it in Hondas and Toyotas with good results.

Very fine choice but I found Trop Artic around here for 2.69 a quart and as others have stated that Trop Artic is the "sister" of motorcraft, if you can find Trop Artic for less money I would use that over motorcraft.

Good catch - I didn't see the posters location when I answered. Canadian Motorcraft Oil does appear to be made by Imperial Oil (XOM).

You can safely use Motocraft oil in anything but a Chevy.

Motocraft oil causes GM motors to run better than they were designed to run and it screws up the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back