Motorcraft FL793 or WIX 5148 or Bosch Premium 3330

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 options... You pick! -- Motorcraft FL793 or WIX 5148 or Bosch Premium 3330

I've been using Purolator for a couple of years now, but BITOG has convinced me otherwise for the time being. What's my best bet? I don't run more than 5k OCI's.

If you are wanting to get away from purolator, the WIX. IMO it is not only the better filter.. Motorcraft, and Bosch are still purolator filters.. I have moved to the Fram TG for my app.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm currently running a Fram Ultra but $9 ($7 at RockAuto) at Walmart is pushing it considering I won't run it more than 5k miles. But point taken about being able to run it for 2 OCI's.

Yeah, I had read Motorcraft was made by Purolator but it seems it doesn't suffer from the pleats ripping, etc. Didn't know Bosch was also made by Purolator.

The Puro issues have not been seen on Motorcrafts, but unless you are getting an "S" series Motorcraft it's not much more than a glorified Classic.

Wix would be the best choice IMO.

Can you actually find that motorcraft filter? I never could when I had my neon( these are all **3614 equivalents), but, if you have the room, the readily available (and cheap) Fl-400s is a longer 3614. (Crosses to a **3600)

I gave away several of those wix & Bosch filters when I sold the neon.

Given those choices though, if buying today,put me down as another vote for Wix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish

Yeah, I had read Motorcraft was made by Purolator but it seems it doesn't suffer from the pleats ripping, etc. Didn't know Bosch was also made by Purolator.

If its a made in the USA Bosch, or Mann, its made by Purolator.
Until last year, puro was a 50/50 joint venture between Bosch and Mann. Last year Bosch left the arrangement, leaving Purolator a subsidiary of Mann-Hummel.

Now Some folks are speculating if Bosch knew something was awry at Purolator, and just got out while they could...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The Puro issues have not been seen on Motorcrafts, but unless you are getting an "S" series Motorcraft it's not much more than a glorified Classic....

Good point nitrile adbv. And I'm thinking that unlike the S's for FoMoCo apps, the FL793 may have dome end bypass too. Not that I believe that to be a big deal. And I'm thinking this application would be less readily available.

Guess that leaves the Napa Gold/Wix with silicone adbv.

Quote:
..Now Some folks are speculating if Bosch knew something was awry at Purolator, and just got out while they could...

That's an intriguing conspiracy theory. However if that was the case one would think they would have just as quickly followed by taking the Bosch US filter manufacturing elsewhere too. That hasn't happened.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm currently running a Fram Ultra but $9 ($7 at RockAuto) at Walmart is pushing it considering I won't run it more than 5k miles. But point taken about being able to run it for 2 OCI's.

If your motor is clean the Ultra will go 15K miles, which is only 2/3 of what you'd put on the Ultra if you ran 5K OCIs and left it on between the 2x OCIs. Be like getting a $3.50 filter and running it 5K miles. Plus you save the effort of changing the filter once over 2x OCIs.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Can you actually find that motorcraft filter? I never could when I had my neon( these are all **3614 equivalents), but, if you have the room, the readily available (and cheap) Fl-400s is a longer 3614. (Crosses to a **3600)

Given those choices though, if buying today,put me down as another vote for Wix.

It looks like I can get that motorcraft filter on Rockauto.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If your motor is clean the Ultra will go 15K miles, which is only 2/3 of what you'd put on the Ultra if you ran 5K OCIs and left it on between the 2x OCIs. Be like getting a $3.50 filter and running it 5K miles. Plus you save the effort of changing the filter once over 2x OCIs.

That's true. I'll have to think about it. I've never let a filter go for more than 1 OCI, but it seems the Fram ULTRA is as good as it gets.

All 3 engines that this filter thread applies to are very clean and have had their oil changed every 3-5k miles so I don't see that being a problem.

True enough, they have it for $3.88, but how much for shipping? I recently bought a batch of 5 filters from them, and the cheapest Shipping option was around $8.( which was more than all 5 filters...)

$6.47 on Amazon (prime eligible)
$5.99 Special order @ o'reilly
$8.33 @ my local Ford Dealer
etc........
or the Fl400s is about $3.49 or so @ every wallyworld in the country.... (ouch! $7.33 @ the Ford Dealer)

but I'd Still Rather run a WIX....
49.gif

Motorcraft... best oil filter for the $ and with Silicone ADBV and the bypass is at the top of oil filter like NAPA / WIX

Seems like a easy choice to me.

Have you tried buying Ultras from Advance with their coupons? It would be in the 40% off their price range; might be cheaper that way.

Question?
What problems are having Purolator filters?

Last edited:

If you choose the FL793 perhaps you can post a picture of the base/thread end because I'm thinking this application uses a nitrile adbv and dome bypass. The non FoMoCo, and non 'S' suffix use nitrile and dome bypass. The FL1A is the exception to the FoMoCo application rule, for some reason it uses a nitrile adbv.

True enough, they have it for $3.88, but how much for shipping? I recently bought a batch of 5 filters from them, and the cheapest Shipping option was around $8.( which was more than all 5 filters...)

$6.47 on Amazon (prime eligible)
$5.99 Special order @ o'reilly
$8.33 @ my local Ford Dealer
etc........
or the Fl400s is about $3.49 or so @ every wallyworld in the country.... (ouch! $7.33 @ the Ford Dealer)

but I'd Still Rather run a WIX....
49.gif

Yeah, shipping is always the killer on Rockauto. But this time around I've already added $336 worth of parts (timing belt kit, brake pads, rotors, wipers) to my cart so shipping shouldn't be too bad.

Which is why I've decided to go with the FRAM Ultra. The Wix filter wants to ship from a different shipping location (C), I've already got items shipping from A & B. Luckily, the FRAM is shipping from location A, so i'll save some money there.

I'll run the FRAM Ultra for 2 OCI's.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

If you choose the FL793 perhaps you can post a picture of the base/thread end because I'm thinking this application uses a nitrile adbv and dome bypass. The non FoMoCo, and non 'S' suffix use nitrile and dome bypass. The FL1A is the exception to the FoMoCo application rule, for some reason it uses a nitrile adbv.

I'm going with the FRAM Ultra it seems, but in case i do ever purchase that Motorcraft filter, I'll post a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back