Motorcraft/Conoco or German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know Patman, that is a superb idea and would be a truly noble gesture...in one case (our Autozone farthest south), I'd have to buy about 24 qts...bottles of "Old Yeller" lined up as far as the eye can see....

PS Patman, you've got more willpower than me...I'd have given those four bottles about 72 hours to go to a nice family and then I would have had to do the only thing a guy can do in a situation like that...adopt them myself.
grin.gif

[ August 07, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by kiko:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
PS To ALL the naysayers, you've got to admit that German Castrol has created as much enthusiasm and interchange as just about anything on this board lately. I think it has risen above its mere utility as a motor oil...in fact, I think it has become a legend in my own mind!
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

I agree! If only I could find some more for my next round
frown.gif
. Maybe it's actually bigger than the hype it created. People have caught on and have started stocking on the german syntec.
smile.gif

That's what I thought at first, because my local Walmart had a lot of it then it got bought up pretty fast. But for the last month of so there have been the same 4 bottles of it sitting there and nobody has bought them.

I've got a question for you guys. Have any of you considered buying up all of the "old" 0w30 for a beater car, just so that your local store restocks with the new German 0w30?
smile.gif

Buy up all the "bad" stuff to get them to restock with want you want, then return it. Go in the next day and pick up what you want.

Geez. Gotta tell you guys everything...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I've got a question for you guys. Have any of you considered buying up all of the "old" 0w30 for a beater car, just so that your local store restocks with the new German 0w30?
smile.gif

The town I live in has two AutoZones, one on the "east side" and one on the "west side." The one on the west side is the only one that has stocked the German 0w30. The store on the east side has nothing but about a dozen bottles of the old yellow label stuff, but I'm not going to buy up this crap just so they can order the "good stuff."
gr_eek2.gif

jsharp,

"Gotta tell you guys everything..."

That's why you are "sharp....."

G-Man II,

"I'm not going to buy up this crap just so they can order the "good stuff."

C'mon, man, where is your community spirit...think of all your "brothers in tribology" out there depending on you to DO THE RIGHT THING and open the veritable flood gates of German Castrol that is just waiting to flow...and free us from dirty, underlubricated, rough running, wearing way too quickly engines
patriot.gif

you've got to admit that German Castrol has created as much enthusiasm and interchange as just about anything on this board lately

Perhaps in your posts.

Most everyone else seems to be approaching the prospect of using or evaluating the oil with typical detachment. The jokes and quips and buddy-buddy is becoming distracting, and frequently leads to the off topic. That's not considerate of the authors.

Whimsey,

Italian is much more fun to speak and listen to, but I don't know if their motor oil is as good...seems like, with the exception of Agip, their racers go elswehere (Shell, Motul).

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
you've got to admit that German Castrol has created as much enthusiasm and interchange as just about anything on this board lately

Perhaps in your posts.

Most everyone else seems to be approaching the prospect of using or evaluating the oil with typical detachment. The jokes and quips and buddy-buddy is becoming distracting, and frequently leads to the off topic. That's not considerate of the authors.

I have an idea: How about starting a new forum called http://www.bobisthenofunoilguy.com and you can be the admin? That way you will have the power to ban anyone who strays off topic (Heaven forbid!!!).

As someone who cares little for the technical/engineering/scientific/analytical side of lubricants, its the sense of comraderie and passionate debates that keep me coming back to learn. Take that away and Bob can close the site right now and archive the material for reference. I have read very little NEW technical info here over the past several months.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
You know Patman, that is a superb idea and would be a truly noble gesture...in one case (our Autozone farthest south), I'd have to buy about 24 qts...bottles of "Old Yeller" lined up as far as the eye can see....

PS Patman, you've got more willpower than me...I'd have given those four bottles about 72 hours to go to a nice family and then I would have had to do the only thing a guy can do in a situation like that...adopt them myself.
grin.gif

I gave those four lonely bottles a new home this afternoon, they now reside in my shrine. Hidden of course, as my wife would freak if she knew I added even more oil to the collection!
smile.gif

Now we'll see if this Walmart restocks with new stuff soon, since there are probably 12 bottles of the yellow label junk still there. The last time they ran out of the new stuff, strangely enough they actually did restock with more of it, about 20L at least, or so I figured.

Patman,

I am so proud of you I could burst...but that would be really messy, so I'll just offer you an across the border salute
canada.gif
patriot.gif

PS Your secret is safe with me.

I felt really sorry for those 4 bottles sitting there for so long with nobody adopting them! Sort of like when I went looking for a valentines day gift for my wife a few years ago, and there was this one lonely crocodile stuffed animal that nobody was buying because the eyes were crooked on it. I felt so sorry for the little guy I had to give him a new home!
smile.gif

Patman, how due you maintain this shrine without the wife "discovering" it. Is it in an old hidden leftover backyard fallout shelter from the 1950's? My wife can smell the oil on me if I so much as walk through the oil aisles in Walmart! Then I get searched!
grin.gif
. I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to "put" the 2 cases of oil I'm ordering from Tim
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

As Posted by YZF 150
quote:

Perhaps in your posts.

Hold on while I get up and hit the KILLJOY ALARM.
phone.gif

Since you are surfing a motor oil bulletin board I find it hard to believe you're so pressed for time that you can't let people enjoy each other's company. The world's a tough enough place without bulletin board seriousity police.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:

Perhaps in your posts.

YZF150, one of the main reasons I hang around this board is because it is fun, I have become friends with some members, and enjoy the humor and jokes. We can't be serious all of the time. JMO, Joe

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Patman, how due you maintain this shrine without the wife "discovering" it. Is it in an old hidden leftover backyard fallout shelter from the 1950's? My wife can smell the oil on me if I so much as walk through the oil aisles in Walmart! Then I get searched!
grin.gif
. I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to "put" the 2 cases of oil I'm ordering from Tim
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

My shrine is an old wall unit in my laundry room, and it's not hidden, however it's already full of oil on the open shelving part, so she knows about that. She doesn't know about the two cases of Schaeffer Oil in the bottom section (behind some sliding doors) or the new 4 bottles of 0w30 (which are in a Walmart bag under a bunch of stuff right now)
smile.gif

Patman,

How do you counter the BSCs (Basement Surveillance Cameras)? I heard she hid one in a crooked-eyed alligator!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back