Newbie looking for recommendations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe there's a good reason to ask us. We know that some mechanics aren't wonderful when it comes to oil, and there is so much marketing literature out there, it isn't even funny.

On the other hand, what internal Ford literature I have seen is relatively well balanced with respect to customer interests. They're obviously going to be cheerleading their own products, but that's to be expected.

1) We use a bulk oil. It's similar to Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and "meets their standards". That's all that the parts manager could tell me. I don't tell people it's Motorcraft, it's just a synthetic blend oil.
2) I am a service advisor, yes, but I am not an expert in oil and filters. I'm still learning. Truthfully I come from 3.5 years in sales. I've been in service for 5 months and I'm trying to learn everyday so that I can maintain my personal vehicles to the best of my abilities as well as so I can present helpful recommendations to my customers.
3) I don't appreciate speculation about my knowledge. I'm here asking for advice. If you take issue with how I worded my post or how I view things, that's fine. I'm just here for some advice from people who nitpick oil and who know what's good. I trust my techs but maybe I have personal reasons for asking here? If my asking is an issue, all apologies.

I appreciate any insight you and the others on BITOG can provide.

Originally Posted By: EricBeau
1) We use a bulk oil. It's similar to Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and "meets their standards". That's all that the parts manager could tell me. I don't tell people it's Motorcraft, it's just a synthetic blend oil.

Is there a Quick Lane oil change center tied to the dealership? The dealer here has one and uses MC oil and filters.

So after doing some more research on BITOG, I'm still planning on doing a 7,000 mile OCI in the Odyssey with Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and a FRAM Ultra XG7317 oil filter.

I've also decided what I'll be using in the Camry- Super Tech High Mileage 5W-30 with a Super Tech ST4967 oil filter and FRAM Tough Guard TGA7351 air filter. I'll probably stick with a 3,000 mile OCI on the Camry. The consensus I'm seeing is that the car doesn't really care and should stay with 3K because of my frequent short trips and lack of long trips. Sounds good to me.

Ericbeau don't pay Dnewton3 that much attention to what he had to say that seemed to be negative in a way. Sometimes, bless his heart he doesn't always come across in the right way. Dnewton3 is a good guy and is exceptionally knowledgeable in these topics.

I am glad that you came on here to ask about this and to learn more.

So after doing some more research on BITOG, I'm still planning on doing a 7,000 mile OCI in the Odyssey with Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and a FRAM Ultra XG7317 oil filter.

I've also decided what I'll be using in the Camry- Super Tech High Mileage 5W-30 with a Super Tech ST4967 oil filter and FRAM Tough Guard TGA7351 air filter. I'll probably stick with a 3,000 mile OCI on the Camry. The consensus I'm seeing is that the car doesn't really care and should stay with 3K because of my frequent short trips and lack of long trips. Sounds good to me.

Sounds like a plan to me
smile.gif

But, at some point, get a UOA on both. Post it here and we can comment on what we see. Likely the Camry will harder on the oil ... But, testing will tell
smile.gif

Hey there,

Can you tell me more about Mobil 1 AFE? The van recommends 5W-20; why do you suggest 0W-20? I know it's a thinner viscosity, which means less friction and thus slight gains in efficiency, but I'm curious if there will be any problem using 0W-20 instead of 5W-20. I looked over service records from the past and see that 0W-20 has been used in it before, so I guess I'm just curious as to why you suggest that.

Thank you!

The M1 AFE may give you some fuel economy benefits during the warm up phase, and, obviously, the advantage of a 0w-XX, if you ever run into temperatures needing it. Mobil has tended to recommend 0w-20 where 5w-20 is specified. General Motors is doing the same right now, too, incidentally.

Can you tell me more about Mobil 1 AFE? The van recommends 5W-20; why do you suggest 0W-20? I know it's a thinner viscosity, which means less friction and thus slight gains in efficiency, but I'm curious if there will be any problem using 0W-20 instead of 5W-20. I looked over service records from the past and see that 0W-20 has been used in it before, so I guess I'm just curious as to why you suggest that.

0W-20 is not necessarily a "thinner viscosity" than 5W-20, the "W" portion of the designation is not a viscosity. They are both 20-grade oils. The number before the "W" denotes the cold-weather performance and does not make it a thicker or a thinner oil regardless of what the number happens to be.

Thank you for clearing that up. I always get the definitions switched around. Living in the Midwest we certainly see some cold weather so 0W-20 sounds good to me!

Hello all,

My name is Eric. I'm a car guy looking for some recommendations for my vehicles. I'll give some background.

First off, I'm a Ford Service advisor (hiding). Please reserve your judgment; I know service advisors aren't held in high regard by all. I'm here for some good discussion and I hope that won't be held against me 😁

2001 Toyota Camry LE. 2.2L 4cyl, automatic transmission, roughly 137k miles. My commute is 2.6 miles round trip with two stop signs. The Camry is my work commuter and it's not used for much else. I've had a technician tell me there are leaks at the intake gasket, valve cover gasket and one other I can't think of. The vehicle runs well for the most part and there aren't any puddles (or really any spotting) in my garage. My in-laws are the original owners.

Working as a service advisor I've had my two most recent oil changes done at work. My shop uses a Motorcradt knock-off synthetic blend (5W-30 goes in with a NAPA ProSelect 21394 filter). I've stuck with a 3,000 mile OCI for the Camry, which, with my short commute, takes at least 8 months to accrue.

I've recently decided I'd like to do my own oil changes so I can know exactly what's going into the car and because I want to take pride in maintaining my vehicles. I intend to keep this car as long as possible.

From my reading around on here, I'm thinking I'll do my next oil change with Valvoline MaxLife and a WIX 51394.

2010 Honda Odyssey LX. 3.5L non-VCM, automatic transmission, approximately 97k miles. I'm the second owner (purchased at 61,342 miles). The van is the family vehicle. We drive it between 8,000-10,000 miles per year. It's currently got the same Motorcraft knock-off synthetic blend (5W-20 in this case) and a NAPA ProSelect 27356 filter. I know from looking at records that the oil change before my most recent one was 5W-30 put in by a bone-headed tech. This van doesn't have any oil leaks that I know of. Ever since I bought this van I've been doing oil changes when the OLM reads 15% (average OCI around 5,500 miles).

Based on my reading here, I'm thinking of using Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife Technology 5W-20 and a WIX 57356XP filter (designed for synthetic oil).

I guess at this point I'm looking for confirmation of my decisions above. I'm open to any recommendations and suggestions. Thanks all! Looking forward to spending a lot of time on this forum.

I'm partial to WIX because I just put WIX cabin and air filters in the van and I'm definitely brand-loyal when I find something I like . I'm going to put a WIX air filter in the Camry at my next oil change.

That will work. You could also run 5w-30 in both and only have to buy 2 5qt jugs. M1 HM is another excellent option for your leaker.

Edit x2. Get the Camry some highway time a couple times a month. That will get the oil up to temp and cook out moisture as well as activating additives and seal conditioners. A bottle of techron in the gas tank and running it hard to clean it out is a good idea.

Last edited:
Earlier you mentioned Mobil Super High Mileage. It is actually a Synthetic Blend. I would use that in your Camry with the Supertech ST3600 filter (oversized filter, does no harm, catches more deposits, same price as smaller filter). Mobil Super High Mileage is a MUCH better option than Supertech HM conventional. Price difference is a few cents.

Thank you for clearing that up. I always get the definitions switched around. Living in the Midwest we certainly see some cold weather so 0W-20 sounds good to me!

Well maybe. Here in southeastern Wisconsin it rarely gets below -15F or so. A 5W is perfectly adequate in those temperatures. My old BMW lives in northern Wisconsin though and it gets to -25F or below on a much more regular basis. A 5W would still be pumpable however, and would likely be fine there too. But with 0W-40 oil being so inexpensive there's no reason not to run it IMO.

I picked up a FRAM TG4967 Tough Guard Oil Filter for the Camry because Walmart is clearing them out at $3.00 each.

As I'm doing more reading and research on here, I'm considering picking up NAPA Full Synthetic 5W-20 for the van with a NAPA Gold 7356 filter. For the Camry I'm thinking I'll try NAPA High Mileage 5W-30. I can get four quarts of the HM for $11.40 from work. NAPA products seem to have good reviews and good UOA from what I've seen here and it's very reasonably priced.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Those choices look good to me except I'd just go with a standard Wix instead of the XP with that OCI. The XP is designed for extended OCIs (10,000+ miles) and the standard Wix is perfect for your OCI. Or, you could get the XP and change the filter every other OCI.

Agree that using the XP on a short interval is a waste; it can easily go 15k miles.

Okay so I'll be picking up my supplies this weekend-

Camry:
Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 Synthetic Blend $7 after rebate
Fram Tough Guard TG4967 (already have) $3 from Walmart on clearance
Fram Extra Guard CA7351 Air Filter $10.85 from Walmart
I'll be doing a 3,000 mile OCI because this car has a lot of short trips in town.

Odyssey:
This is where I'm stuck- PP 5W-20 vs. PP HM 5W-20. Same price. Van isn't leaking or seeping or burning, but I'm just shy of 100k. $22.97 on Rollback at Walmart, $10 rebate on 5 qts
Fram Ultra XG7317 $8.97 from Walmart
Planning on doing at least 7,500 OCI. I'm also planning on keeping the filter in for 2X OCI.

Just need help deciding on PP vs PP HM. I like the idea of HM to prevent any leaks from developing but I guess I just don't know for sure my van needs it.

Much appreciated. I think that sums it up pretty well. I'm definitely going to use the MaxLife in the Camry because there's evidence of leaky gaskets under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back