Motorcraft 820s cut open

Every few months someone here makes a post about the FL820 and then the haters come out of the woodwork, saying it tears or that it will destroy your engine. Take it all with a grain of salt. Ford wouldn't use it and risk engines blowing under warranty if it was bad.

I'm not sure which newer Ford/Lincolns would take it at this point. But it is a sorry excuse for a filter in the MC line. Not sure who said the tears might destroy your engine but it is shoddy workmanship and fairly inexcusable at this point. The shame is that many other MC filters are very good, but will never use this one again.

Is it really that much of a cost killer to throw in a couple more pleats on the wide side FFS?..

Every few months someone here makes a post about the FL820 and then the haters come out of the woodwork, saying it tears or that it will destroy your engine. Take it all with a grain of salt. Ford wouldn't use it and risk engines blowing under warranty if it was bad.

Sorry but Stevie Wonder could tell the Motorcraft 820s are garbage.

The Motorcraft fl 500s, 400s, 910s etc almost always look fantastic..... And are worthy of running without question. I believe I may well run a Motorcraft fl 400s on my lady's 98 Camry... That filter is darn near perfect every time I have seen one cut open on here.

It's just the fl 820s that are hot garbage.

The main problem is that the filter media tears. However, this wouldn't cause an engine to seize up.

You'll only know about the tearing problem by visiting this forum. Of all the 820S filters being used, less than 1% get cut open and "analyzed".

Ford is not going to spend money "beefing" up the 820S because some people found tears after cutting open their filter.

Plus, this filter is mainly used on older vehicles. Ford doesn't care what happens to 5-10 year old cars.

Source? They were Purolators...

And? Which post says it's a Wix?

Oh, the one that says it's a FACTORY EQUIVALENT? lame...

I guess Ford doesn't sell many new F250 -350 gas trucks???
Even the new 7.3 takes this turd.
So they are not just for older vehicles. That makes no sense.
The 820 reeks of quality on the outside. If they can get that right they can fix the inside.

A poorly made filter can't damage an engine huh...so what was all of the OCOD. Nonsense about???
Every Fram hater whips that out
frequently.

Just the act of cutting them open could result in them tearing, especially when some people were using a hack saw or cut off wheel. Thought we covered this many times before.
That sounds more like a convenient excuse by those who don't want to face facts rather than a plausible explanation for as many as we see.

Even if half are as you say that still leaves quite a few that aren't due to user error. I guess that from the pictures I've seen I don't see the type of tearing that would be the result of a hacksaw blade or cutoff wheel. What we see are in the inside pleats or directly at the glue line, not abrasion down at the base that's across the pleat fold.

Plus if it were widespread user error then we'd see nearly every manufacturer and/or model with tears which isn't the case. There are many filters cut open here that do not have tears, are the incompetent people confined to only those that use this filter?

Last edited:
I guess that from the pictures I've seen I don't see the type of tearing that would be the result of a hacksaw blade or cutoff wheel. What we see are in the inside pleats or directly at the glue line, not abrasion down at the base that's across the pleat fold.
So why is it automatically assumed this is a terrible issue? Are the engines in vehicles that use that filter blowing up? Or wearing out prematurely? Maybe ask the taxi and limo fleet owners who use the filter on cars that routinely see 300,000 and 400,000 miles. If after all those miles the engines are still running using that filter, I'd say it's a fine filter to use.

So why is it automatically assumed this is a terrible issue? Are the engines in vehicles that use that filter blowing up? Or wearing out prematurely? Maybe ask the taxi and limo fleet owners who use the filter on cars that routinely see 300,000 and 400,000 miles. If after all those miles the engines are still running using that filter, I'd say it's a fine filter to use.
Yeah. Like I said about excuses.

You don't need an oil filter cutter, just some tin snips (I used aviation snips because the cutting head is a little slimmer). It will take a few minutes to cut all the way around.

Back